leaking gut

Hi. I wanted to know the people who has leaking gut. How has it affected you and your lifestyle. And do you have any advice

Replies

• iluvwdw
    iluvwdw Posts: 287 Member
    I had that and was reacting to all foods, even healthy whole foods. I ate apples, salads and plain chicken for months...I cut out dairy, wheat, gluten, soy and eggs.
    I took a supplement from RenewLife called Intestinew capsules for about 5 months and a digestive supplement before dinner. Five months later i could add foods back in but only whole foods
    You need to heal your gut first.
  • janinealderton123
    janinealderton123 Posts: 26 Member
    iluvwdw wrote: »
    I had that and was reacting to all foods, even healthy whole foods. I ate apples, salads and plain chicken for months...I cut out dairy, wheat, gluten, soy and eggs.
    I took a supplement from RenewLife called Intestinew capsules for about 5 months and a digestive supplement before dinner. Five months later i could add foods back in but only whole foods
    You need to heal your gut first.
    Thank you for takng the time to reply to my question. I taken out the food I had to take out. It has only been 1 day but advice is so important.

• janinealderton123
    cityruss wrote: »
    Thank you for adding the link. It is very interesting.
  • physioprof
    physioprof Posts: 24 Member
    Leaky gut is simply a theory, and not one that's well-suppported by scientific research. There is no medical test for a 'leaky gut' nor is it actually a disease. It's been popularized in light of recent research on the link between gut bacteria, inflammatory compounds associated with those bacteria, and correlations between levels of those inflammatory toxins and the presence of obesity and/or type II diabetes.

Food allergies can certainly cause inflammation, and those can be medically diagnosed. That should be your first step, followed by an elimination diet.

Most probiotics sold as supplements aren't worth the money. Supplements aren't regulated by the FDA but by the DSHEA act which is very lax regarding labeling, safety, and efficacy. If you can find a multi-strain probiotic with multiple billions of CFU's, that's better, but it's just as easy to eat a diet high in fiber, fruits, and vegetables to promote healthy bacterial growth.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    How does a person decide they have a leaky gut, given that there is no medical test for it?
  • physioprof
    physioprof Posts: 24 Member
    Sort of like people who say they are gluten sensitive or their kids become hyper after eating an artificial color...they just decide it must be true and then confirmation bias takes over. Boom, science.
  • janinealderton123
    I have known ppl who has said they have it. And base on reseaech I show signs it is because I have allergies to two kinds of food and I have been going through it for months and medical side I have to remove it. But I to hear other ppls thoughts and how they cope with it.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Wouldn't having a "leaky gut" lead to septic peritonitis and death?
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    If you have allergies you have allergies. Why not deal with them instead of going with pseudo-science?
  • janinealderton123
    If you have allergies you have allergies. Why not deal with them instead of going with pseudo-science?
    I have. All I am asking is how it affect ppl around world and how they cope