Best exercise for bum and thighs but less impact on calves?

Options
OK, So I really want to exercise my thighs and bum but I have no desire to gain muscle in my calves, is it possible to the first 2 without the other or do i just have to lump it?

Replies

• ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    How about Powerwalking?
    I've seen some improvement in my Bum and Thighs since i've been doing it but not so much in my calves - so you could try that.
    I don't like the Muscular calves look either tbh.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    First of all, unless you are weight lifting and trying to gain muscle through eating a surplus you will not gain muscle in your calves or your thighs and glutes.

A newbie just starting exercising (especially weight lifting) can gain minimal muscle and maintain current mass, the gains taper off eating at a deficit to loose weight.

And when you exercise your legs, your calves, hamstrings, quads and glutes are all engaged. So thinking you can exercise just the upper legs with out the lower...well you see where I am going here..

When eating at a deficit to loose weight the goal should be to strive for strength and fitness and yes maintaining your current muscle mass.
  • thelazydandelion
    thelazydandelion Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've read conflicting things, so thought I would get some input from people on here.

• MK24551
    MK24551 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thin thighs in 30 days is an awesome program. U can google it. There is a book or u can find the article online with the exercise program. I actually downloaded the book for about $5 n it's awesome! Good luck
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    OK, So I really want to exercise my thighs and bum but I have no desire to gain muscle in my calves, is it possible to the first 2 without the other or do i just have to lump it?

you won't gain muscle in your calves unless you are eating at a surplus.

If you are working your butt and thighs you will also work calves a bit.

Try donkey kicks, squats, glute bridges, hip thrusts, lunges and all variations of those...just to name a few
  • MollyBradford
    MollyBradford Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you're serious about gaining muscle in your legs/glutes, you NEED to lift weights AND be eating in a surplus. Cardio will really only help burn calories. Try compound movements like squats and sumo deads. Your calves will get hit, but not be targeted. Some good isolation movements would be leg extensions, glute bridges, leg curls, and glute kickbacks. My all time favorite is the stiff-legged deadlift. It really hits the hamstrings and glutes. Personally, if I want my calves to grow, I really have to focus on them and do calf raises. They shouldn't gain a ton of mass if you don't train them directly.

Also, protein is extremely important for gaining muscle so be sure you're getting enough of it.

I hope this was helpful in any way. So pretty much, yeah, I think it's possible to gain mass in your quads/hamstrings/glutes without gaining much in your calves, it just takes work and time. Good luck!!!!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Lol @ easy calf gains.
  • thelazydandelion
    thelazydandelion Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Lol @ easy calf gains.
    Erm, ok?

Thank you to the people who gave me advice :)

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Weighted hip thrusts are great for glutes.