I gained weight why

Options
hello there I'm going to the gym to do cardio 3-4 days a week
My calories are in s deficit
I think the root of the problem could be snacking and the cardio machines in the gym are not accurate
Should I this time be more careful then see for next time

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Gained weight because your deficit is really not a deficit (you are eating more than you think you are) and also if you are eating back all of your exercise calories given to you by a cardio computer or MFP you are definitely eating more than you think..

All exercise is over estimated and you should eat back a small portion. Perhaps 50% or lower.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    First thing looking at your diary. Is eat some Fruit and Vegetables I'm amazed looking at your diary that you get any fibre. Machines in gyms are notoriously inaccurate calorie wise. Also you don't state how much weight and over what time period. As it could just be some normal fluctuation
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    ....All exercise is over estimated and you should eat back a small portion. Perhaps 50% or lower.

This isn't always the case. It depends upon how close your weight is to the default calorie burns that MFP took their data from. MFP calculates most of my burns pretty close to several other online calculators for my height and weight. So a blanket statement can be misleading a little. Just confirm through 2-3 other online calculators and see how close MFP calculates your burns.

As for the OP, you are eating more than you think. Either you aren't weighing your food, you aren't logging everything or you are eating back too many exercise calories.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    There is 5 days between April 29th till yesterday when you were not in a deficit. And the exercise is over estimated from what I can see...

I would adhere daily (no matter what) to the calories MFP gives you to eat every day and do that. Eat only back a small portion of those exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-should-i-eat-back-my-exercise-calories/
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

OP edited to say: The exercise calories MFP gives you for say walking 5.0 mph is just a general number and does not fit everyone's pace, effort, stride, etc... This why I say on those days you said you exercised 622 calorie burns are more than likely over estimated. But your exercise is not a huge implication here as the calories you are eating each day.

The MFP community has weighed in on this greatly as I have given you plenty of resources to check. I just want you to make sure you sensibly adhere to a goal and keep moving forward with your progress and not back wards.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with @ruggedshutter, if MFP is wrong, then so is pretty much everyone else. But the number MFP give you is total calories, not the number of calories above your BMR. And also, people who are skilled at an exercise will burn a different number of calories (usually less) than an unskilled person doing the same thing at the same intensity. The calorie burn numbers should be used as a starting point, and then you should adjust up or down to account for the actual results you are seeing.
  • 93gemmac
    93gemmac Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    How much weight, and over what timeframe?
    Remember weight doesn't always mean fat.
    Could be fluid, could be muscle...
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I think you should re-read your food diary for the last 9 days. Being honest with ourselves is one of the big keys to success. Good luck with your journey.
  • omgfluke
    omgfluke Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I never eat exercise calories, certainly exercise can contribute to weight loss but its effect is greatly over estimated unless you are already thin and looking to burn them last few pounds
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    You don't have any vegetables or fruit in your diary? Why don't you eat any veg? You seem to pretty much live off chicken and protein powder. I don't understand how you could possibly get enough vitamins and fibre from your diet. Surely you would want to do this for health and not just weight loss?

But to answer your question you are overestimating you calorie burn and/or underestimating your calorie intake.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    You don't have any vegetables or fruit in your diary? Why don't you eat any veg? You seem to pretty much live off chicken and protein powder. I don't understand how you could possibly get enough vitamins and fibre from your diet. Surely you would want to do this for health and not just weight loss?

But to answer your question you are overestimating you calorie burn and/or underestimating your calorie intake.

I take multi vitamin pills I do eat vegetables I do not add it because the calories are very little
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I looked at the OP's exercise diary and saw Mfp gave 622 for race walking. I walk at 4 mph (or a bit more) and get 338/hr. Is race walking much higher that that? When I get close to 4.5 or more, I'm jogging.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    uvi5 wrote: »
    I looked at the OP's exercise diary and saw Mfp gave 622 for race walking. I walk at 4 mph (or a bit more) and get 338/hr. Is race walking much higher that that? When I get close to 4.5 or more, I'm jogging.

Oh and I rarely eat back "all" exercise calories.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

I take multi vitamin pills I do eat vegetables I do not add it because the calories are very little

While it's true that many vegetables have few calories for their serving size, you should still log them. Every little thing adds up.

~Lyssa
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    OP, you say that you stay within our calories but you're blaming snacking? Do you not log your snacking then? Because that can soon add up!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Log all food. Veggies have calories too, and some are pretty significant.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    I will add all food this week I will be more strict with the diet