What are we so afraid of? Psychological aspects of losing weight.

Options
I've read a lot about the psychological aspect of losing weight and why even though we want it so badly, we're scared to lose the weight. I'm experiencing this right now. Even though I'm SUPER excited to be losing weight, and it's something I want very much, I'm scared and overwhelmed with emotions because I feel like I will be losing a part of me. I know it will be good for my health and the weight won't be taking a toll on my body anymore, but I just have a lot of mixed emotions. Has anyone else experienced this? I would love to hear your stories.

Replies

• Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Can't say I ever feared losing weight. My psychological struggles had more to do with staying motivated to exercise, controlling binge eating, and figuring out how to make my new lifestyle work in a social environment that didn't completely support it. I had some fears of failure and a sense of helplessness for a long time, having tried and failed so many times.

Now that I am down to 154 (from my all time high of 267), it is an adjustment mentally. In my mind I'm still that bigger woman and get shocked when I see photos. I might feel self conscious that others are judging me for eating in public or worry I don't fit in at an exercise class... But In reality I am smaller and fitter than most of the people I'm worried about judging me. Lol.

As I was shopping the other day I picked size 10 pants off the rack. They looked tiny. I wanted to see if they fit but was embarrassed to be seen with them, lest someone think it ridiculous that I think I could wear those pants. There were some skinny mean girls giggling and sneering at me in my imagination.....Turns out the pants were too big, I needed the 8!!!! My self image is still adjusting. :) But I wouldn't trade new me for old me for anything. It is a better life.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I have lost 97lbs, and I know for me I struggled at times with identity and the changes I was going through over the last 3 years. At times, I felt the need to detach from "my old self" to accept who I am now.

I noticed this would often pop up when I would sabotage my efforts/often fall off the wagon for no reason in particular. I would write a letter to my old self to essentially say good bye, I no longer identify with that person OR mentality.

Find what works for you!
  • KKJackson91
    KKJackson91 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    dakotababy wrote: »
    I have lost 97lbs, and I know for me I struggled at times with identity and the changes I was going through over the last 3 years. At times, I felt the need to detach from "my old self" to accept who I am now.

I noticed this would often pop up when I would sabotage my efforts/often fall off the wagon for no reason in particular. I would write a letter to my old self to essentially say good bye, I no longer identify with that person OR mentality.

Find what works for you!

This is probably a better way to word what I'm going through right now. I feel like I'm going to be losing a part of my identity because I've always been bigger and everyone knows me as that. The compliments feel great but I fear that people will look at me differently.
  • Docbanana2002
    Options
    When I was around size 16 U.S. (And still obese) I had a coworker tell me to stop losing weight because she feared I was going to stop looking "Large and in charge". I'm in a leadership role at work and she thought the smaller version of me would have a less intimidating presence. "You can lose more weight....but I don't want to see you get all WISPY and in charge! When I think of you I don't think wispy and wimpy!" I assured her that I was putting in enough hours in the weight room to leave me lean not in an emaciated way but in a strong and fit way. Mess with Doc Banana and she will do an overhead press with you as she throws you from her office, that kind of thing. She seemed satisfied with that ha ha.

Maybe a mental reframe of this would help those who have fears? For example, BIG can come from your personality and not just your size...in the way you confidently walk into that circle that you want to part. Maybe that confident (not cocky) presence is something that you can develop as you get smaller? Perhaps feeling great about how you look can help that aspect of your personality come out? Sometimes I had the habit of shrinking myself in order to appear less fat, rarely sitting with an open posture but with arms and legs crossed so as to not take over the seat next to me. As I lost, I began to unshrink myself, to take up the space with my posture.

Or maybe it might also help to reframe this as I did...you are not getting little and wispy and insubstantial, taking up less space in the world...but shedding the dead weight of fat so you can be faster, more agile, more muscular, more strong, more fit. A more impressive presence.

For the record, I haven't seen anyone take me less seriously as I've shrunk from size 22W to size 8. No one stopped paying attention as I walked up or started pushing me around like I'm wispy. If anything, people are more respectful and more warm to me. I'm a college professor and my teaching evaluations have gone up this year without anything else changing substantially except the weight loss. I can feel a different and more positive reaction from my class. These are freshmen/sophomores who didn't know me looking the other way so this isn't a "yay, you lost weight" or "I like you because you shared your weight struggle" thing. Thinner me is just normal me to them and I haven't talked about my weight loss with them. I've wondered if my personality and confidence changed....or if I'm just seeing how my personality is received without being filtered through the lens of lots of bad "fat person" stereotypes and prejudices? Students no longer walk in, look at me, and put an overlay of stupid, undisciplined, lazy, gluttonous, slow, etc. on top of what I show them.

• Docbanana2002
    edited May 2015
    Options
    This is probably a better way to word what I'm going through right now. I feel like I'm going to be losing a part of my identity because I've always been bigger and everyone knows me as that. The compliments feel great but I fear that people will look at me differently.

That makes sense, identity has been a huge part of this for me too. However, I never feared losing the "fat" identity because there was a time in my earlier life when I was thinner, fit, when I ran a half marathon and lifted weights and was an active outdoorsy person. When I went through a difficult period in my life and struggled with depression I gained tons of weight and struggled to get it off for years. I lost that healthy active person identity in the process, so for me this has been about reclaiming a part of myself that I lost and missed terribly. A version of me that came before some very difficult times. Bigger me is the depressed person who was ashamed to now too big for the airplane seat..too unfit to keep up while hiking with my friends. I WANTED to be smaller. When I actually began to have real success I cried tears of joy at every milestone. I was eager to adopt the thinner identity, though the 42 year old vegetarian version is still not the same as the 30 year old carb phobic omnivore. :) I'm still reconstructing that identity as I go along.

Sounds like maybe there isn't a "thin you" identity in your memory that you are running toward? Or maybe it exists in your past, but wasn't a happy one? So you are losing the bigger self that is comfortable and feels like you, taking the leap into the unknown? I can see how that could be scary. But also really cool because you get to dream a little, to create a positive vision of what this new and improved you will be like. What can the thinner fitter you do that you can't now? Keep your eyes on that.

For what it is worth, although I have had to adjust my thinking, thin me and heavier me are both still ME. Same basic personality, relationships, memories, knowledge, etc. I am just a smaller, stronger, faster, more agile, more energetic package. With some more active hobbies and new food preferences (though I kept most of the old ones too...just in moderation). Hopefully a healthier relationship with food. Hopefully wiser. With a sense of myself not as helpless to control myself, but able to set goals and achieve them.

You will see this as you go along, I think, that the best parts of you are still there in the smaller package...just the unhealthy stuff you will lose.

• biochemgirl
    biochemgirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" and tend to be athletic and muscular. 17 years ago, I weighed 250lbs. Since then, I've gone as low as 140 and as high as 195 (pregnancy). Mostly I've maintained at about 160lbs. The thing that has always stopped me from reaching and maintaining my goal of 135lbs has been internal dissatisfaction combined with the negative comments of people in my life.

The thing about being overweight is it is an excuse for why I feel empty, unaccomplished, not worthy, etc. Every self-loathing thought has a "bad guy" to aim it at. All my problems are because I'm fat. Guess what?! When I've been lean, I'm still unhappy! I'm still a single mom, caring for my physically disable mother, working full time, always putting everything out there for others with no one to back me up. I inevitably want to get back to that comfortable place of eating a little too much and having an excuse for why I'm unhappy carrying my burdens. It's a complete psychological entanglement.

Aside from all the internal stuff, I am also very vulnerable to external validation or invalidation as the case may be. Whenever I get lean (close to 140 lbs) I start to get some comments about being "too skinny" and that I need to "eat a hamburger". This doesn't come from everyone, just a few people, but it always comes at the most difficult time. The closer you get to goal weight, the fewer calories you can eat AND your metabolism as slowed to a creep from prolonged famine. It is like a full time job to keep my hands out of the proverbial cookie jar and my workouts are daily and intense. I'm already grappling with my psychological demons and then I get external support to go ahead and give up. The reaction of a few people is like the straw that broke the camel's back.

I've been in counseling and have been studying yoga and Buddhism for the last two years. I hope that I'm finally ready to allow my true self to come out.I intellectually now realize that overweight or lean, my burdens are the same. I hope that accepting my self and my burdens will help me to reach my goal weight without collapsing under all the pressure I feel.

Thank you for sharing your stories and letting me share a bit of mine <3
  • SavingCarol
    SavingCarol Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh My !!! I LOVE this topic. I appreciate what everyone has shared here. I've always believed that for me, losing weight successfully is a mindset. ...That there is a HUGE psychological aspect to it. Hearing the many different experiences from everyone is very enlightening. Thanks for sharing.
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Suddenly I'm starting to look a more 'normal' size, just very overweight rather than super obese, and to be honest it's scaring me - I've been so used to being the butt of jokes over the last thirty years or so that it's hard to get into my head that I don't stick out in a crowd as much now. My head is a mess, I keep asking my husband for comparisons when I see a person in the street and my perception of my body is way out, in my mind I'm still gigantic - and I know my head will be the hardest battle to fight.

3894102.png
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    For me it was more like, "Do I have what it takes to dedicate myself to something so monumental?"

As it turns out, yes, yes I do. Because I'm worth it, and really, once I understood what it take to lose weight, that I didn't have to be miserable, and that all I needed to do was have a calorie deficit, get some exercise and be patient, it all fell into place.
  • KKJackson91
    Options

Sounds like maybe there isn't a "thin you" identity in your memory that you are running toward? Or maybe it exists in your past, but wasn't a happy one? So you are losing the bigger self that is comfortable and feels like you, taking the leap into the unknown? I can see how that could be scary. But also really cool because you get to dream a little, to create a positive vision of what this new and improved you will be like. What can the thinner fitter you do that you can't now? Keep your eyes on that.

This is exactly right. I don't have a "thin me" identity in my memory because I've been big for as long as I can remember. I'm only 23 and ever since elementary school, I can remember the other kids doing physical tests in gym class and I was too chunky to even start to do one pull up or one sit up, so I'm just barging into the unknown and it scares me very much. I don't know what I'm going to look like, or how I will be accepted when I'm thinner. I want very much to be able to feel confident and wear clothes that I never thought I would wear and actually feel sexy for once, but I don't know what that's like as of right now or from my past because that has never been me.
  • KKJackson91
    Options
    Suddenly I'm starting to look a more 'normal' size, just very overweight rather than super obese, and to be honest it's scaring me - I've been so used to being the butt of jokes over the last thirty years or so that it's hard to get into my head that I don't stick out in a crowd as much now. My head is a mess, I keep asking my husband for comparisons when I see a person in the street and my perception of my body is way out, in my mind I'm still gigantic - and I know my head will be the hardest battle to fight.

3894102.png

Amen sister! This is exactly how I feel! I was always bullied in school and now I look in the mirror and realize when I'm more fit I'm going to be proportionate and look normal for once. I realize that I've already started to gain a figure rather than looking like a blob and it scares the crap out of me. As much as I want this, I don't know how I'll feel about the attention or looking like everyone else. I've been big my whole life so venturing into the unknown is what really makes my head a mess. I'm right there with ya.