women lifting "heavy"

Options
2»

Replies

• Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Good info, thanks for the responses!

Lifting to failure is by no means required. Refer to what chrisdavey said and program accordingly, based on your goals.
  • Macjackson
    Macjackson Posts: 3
    Options
    Heavy is a relative term. It can be determined by your health, joints, how you feel that day, what muscle you are using, (large versus small, some smaller muscles require less weight more reps) is the weight cable driven, free weight, body weight, amount of weight. you can go on and on. What is heavy one day is not the next.

I don't equate the number of reps 8-10 or 12-15 or 15-20 as being heavy this is more to do with endurance. Heavy usually refers to the actual kg/lbs that one is able to move against resistance or gravity. Also what are your goals if you want to build muscle some days go heavy but you may get thicker before you lean out. or do you want gain strength go heavy weight low reps, want to increased endurance lighter weight and more reps. DIET is the key, what is your protein intake like. Hard to lift heavy when not eating "clean" and having protein to replenish muscle damage and " good-carbs" in moderation to help with ATP production, muscle repair.

I recommend a certified personal trainer through the American college of sports med to educate you on where to start.
    I am a female I do fairly heavy I flat bench chest press 140 lbs, BB free squat 105#, DB bicep curl 30#. usually multiple sets 3-4 and mult. reps 8-12 depending on how i ate, if hydrated, how i feel somedays better then others and am i able to maintain pristine form. this is my .2 cents worth. Start slow, set a goal, lift safe, form is everything :)
  • fittraier
    fittraier Posts: 138
    Options
    If you are over 15 reps in good form, then you need to go heavier. Heavier is relative as everyone has said and you heavy now, may not be your heavy in 6 weeks.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    My ADD won't let me lift for 30 reps, I'd lose count!!! LOL Lifting heavy for me is 8-10 reps and being able to barely squeeze out that 10th rep.

Go heavy or go home.

Love your new pic, btw, edorice. Lookin good :wink:

Thank you!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I've taken a weight lifting class in college and later worked with a personal trainer. This is what I've learned about women.
    -First, women don't gain the bulk like men. It's a hormone issue - less testosterone means less muscle bulk. So go ahead and lift!
    -Second, to get more of the lean, toned, muscle look, the best strategy is to lift a lower weight with lots of reps. At my best, that meant I was bench pressing around 85 lbs, 15 reps in a set, 3 sets. Bicep curls were around 12lbs per hand, same reps. Similar for other muscle groups (but not all women go that far, and like I said, that was my best. Couldn't do it right now!) You want to get to muscle fatigue at the end. High weight with lower reps (maybe 5 per set, getting to fatigue at end) will build more bulk, but like I said, women don't gain a lot of bulk.

So I guess it depends on where your goals are. Sounds like "lifting heavy" means the higher weight/lower reps. I've never been a fan of that, personally, and I really like how I looked doing the toning strategy. Both build muscle mass, btw, so as far as metabolism and body fat % I would guess they're about equal.

Edit: Wanted to add/clarify : The weight you start with depends on you, nobody else. It's what you can do to the reps you want. I started with 35 for bench, but I'd lifted in the past and had a very reliable spot. Any time you're pushing yourself, get a spot ... my husband didn't in high school and ended up with a cracked sternum (dropped the barbel) which still aches 18 years later.
  • hoosier8
    hoosier8 Posts: 25
    Options
    A good program to start with for strength training is 5x5 stronglifts. It is easy to follow, almost seems like you are not doing enough, but it builds quickly, and you start with almost no weight. Since I am older, I use it to make sure I don't overdue it too early. After an injury this winter, I am starting over from scratch, but it is pretty effective. Strength training will not give you the big bulgy muscles but strength is better anyway.
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    As for my goals... at this time my preference is for good tone. I still have a lot of FAT to lose and I focus mainly on cardio - about an hour a day. I want to do some resistance though to insure I'm not losing lean muscle mass along the way.
    My body naturally is on the muscular side, so I am a little leery of doing anything that has a tendency to build bulk. When I am closer to my goal weight I'll reassess.

Someone asked about my protein intake... I average 100 grams a day there.

Thanks again. :)
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If you're really lifting, you're lifting to fail within a desired repetition range. I, too, workout with ChaLean Extreme for weight training, and in it you try to fail between 10-12 in months 1 and 3, and 6-5 reps. in month 2. The key is that you're not lifting so that the 12th rep is difficult, you're truly trying to lift heavy enough that somewhere between reps 10-12 (or 6-8 in month 2), you honestly CANNOT DO ONE MORE REP.

For me, that means, in most cases, I'm lifting 20-25 pounds for overhead and arnold press, 20 pounds for biceps, 12-15 for tricep work, 25-30 for upper back, 25-30 for chest press and chest fly, 12-15 for posterior and anterior delts, and 40ish pounds in each hand for lowerbody work. I've also found that with each 'round,' that as I get stronger, I get tighter and smaller because my body fat % is dropping while I'm increasing my lean body mass.

In addition, I know there are a lot of women who feel as though they start getting too bulky when they start lifting heavy. I thought that at first, too, UNTIL I finally started cutting the body fat. Yes, you may look bulky if you still have a layer of fat on top of your lean muscles...give it time, keep lifting, and you may find that in time, that bulky look will go away as you continue to drop your overall body fat percentage.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm presently using 15 20 and 25lb weights and doing about 15 reps with each. I do however alternate once in a while, I switch back to 5lbs lower and increase my reps to double, just to work on some definition as well. I like to mix it up a bit. I'm ready to move up to higher weights, but buying those individual dumbells each time gets expensive.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    lifting 4-6 reps for me is heavy, 8-12 is moderate, and so forth is high reps. there is no set weight for anyone

THAT!
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    I've read on here many times about women needing to lift "heavy".

What exactly IS heavy? What guidelines are there to determine what heavy is for each individual?

In the case of free weights - what indicators should I go by to decide what poundage to use?

At home I use 10 pound weights. I have to really struggle to get to 30 reps. The last five are torturous. I have a hard time thinking that ten pounds constitutes "heavy" though. :laugh:

When I refer to heavy I am talking about 80-90% of your 1 rep max (1RM) or the maximum weight you can only perform 1 rep with. This will in turn, force you into a lower rep range (around 1-5 reps) which is the optimum range for causing myofibrillar hypertrophy which is the type of hypertrophy that makes you stronger.

I wrote a post a little while back on muscle gains that you may find interesting. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/234432-if-you-think-you-gained-muscle-read-this?hl="if+you+think+you+gained+muscle"
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I do "heavy lifting" and do 5 sets of 5 reps
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I do 5 sets of around 3-7 reps, sometimes going up to 10 reps depending on the exercise. I count this as heavy. The last 2 are a struggle but still maintain good form.
  • Macjackson
    Options
    At my top weight of 290# I wasn't lifting weight just standing was "heavy lifting"...I lost 110# and loved it felt great , taught aerobics for 3 years and did lift heavy pressing over 100#. It was the heavy lifting in general that gave me tone and actually changed my shape. Losing weight just made me a smaller version of my overweight self.

When i added weight training it actually changed my body. I built up my arms and chest and back and it made the waist look smaller. I started to wear strapless and arms out.I built my chest and with good bra gained cleavage (YES). Lots of compliments. I returned home for a wedding as wasn't recognized by many people.

I had surgery and gained back 45#...Now I am back to getting back down to hitting my goal weight of 145# . I do carry muscle. So now I am 65# from that goal. As previously listed women will not get BIG like men we don't carry that amount of testosterone. And women body builders are so dedicated it is amazing to have that much dedication.

But you may have a feeling "thick /bulky' period. i went thru that after I started to lift , the scale went up 4 lbs and then about 3 weeks later I notice the thickness was less, the scale weight dropped, and clothes ft better. I was hooked, I think this was a true transition. I dont fear the bulk because I know if i continue wtih cardio , eat clean and lean, sleep and drink water it will subside and the tone and fat loss will happen. My goal is to LOSE FAT, Not to lose Weight.

When I weight more then 225 I did not " lift heavy". I did lots of reps and sets with good form a challenging weight , minimal rest between sets, tried to keep my heart rate up (more aerobic then anaerobic...heavy lifting is more anaerobic) and did superset or circuit format. I don't think it matters what one does as long as you DO SOMETHING, MOVE SOMETHING, SHAKE SOMETHING, LIFT SOMETHING, BURN SOMETHING,BUILD SOMETHING and that is my goal.
  • Kbridges82
    Kbridges82 Posts: 5
    Options
    Lifting heavy isn't just about the reps, but the exercises as well. Barbell exercises are key to stressing the central nervous system and the skeletal structure/muscle. Machines and isolation exercises cannot replicate the benefits you gain from performing compound barbell exercises with heavy (4-6 rep range) weight. Women will not gain bulk from lifting "heavy" because they have very low testosterone, which is crucial in building muscle mass. What women will experience is more calories burned per hour, since you will be expending more energy in a shorter period of time (ie. you would burn more calories squatting 95 lbs 15 times in 6 minutes than you do curling 10 lb weights 30 times in 6 minutes).

I disagree with the concept of "toning". There is no "toning" mechanism within our bodies. You lose/gain fat or muscle. Period. The "look" that many confuse with "toned" is low body fat over slightly more lean muscle. If that's the look you're going for, then performing compound movements with barbells (again, not machines, dumbells, kettlebells, or any other bell), is for you.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to rely on ratings of perceived exertion (RPE).

10. Maximal – no reps left in the tank at the end of set.
    9: Last rep is tough but still one rep left in the tank
    8: Weight is too heavy to maintain fast bar speed but isn’t a struggle; 2–4 reps left
    7: Weight moves quickly when maximal force is applied to the weight; “speed weight”
    6: Light speed work; moves quickly with moderate force
    5: Most warm-up weights
    4: Recovery; usually 20 plus rep sets; not hard but intended to flush the muscle
    An RPE below four isn’t important.

The above intensity scale can also be thought of in terms of percentages. Ex. Intensity of 8 is working at 80% of your 1 rep maximum (1RM). The goal is to gradually increase the weight being used for a particular exercise.

Overload: The load must be greater than what your body is accustomed to.

Progression: What is an overload today, won't be an overload next week or next month. To elicit further change, you have to progress the overload. How quickly your body adapts depends on many factors including nutrition, type of exercise, stress, and genetic potential, among others.

Intensity: Training with loads in the 81-95% range of your maximum effort will likely be a stimulating or maintaining load. Intensity of 70-80% is going to be insufficient in terms of building or keeping muscle.

Good luck! Remember, lift HEAVY or go home.
  • Macjackson
    Options
    SO true "toned" is really an improper word to use. It is about the loss of body fat that the lean look can acheived, Good point