Every time I work out I hurt myself...help please

Options

Replies

• star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    If you have a history of back problems, I'd recommend you see your doctor and maybe get a physio referral. They can advise you on stretches and exercises that can help. At least that might help whilst you save up for a personal training session

The worst thing for you to do is go adding injury to your existing problems
  • theutahdesertfox
    theutahdesertfox Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Have you found the Eat, Train, Progress group yet? They have great info there:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/10118-eat-train-progress
    it is a great place to start.

That yoga teacher should not be teaching or you went to an advanced class. I have never had a yoga instructor act that way. Pilates will be harder on your back issues than yoga, once you can do good stretching, then think about a Pilates.

I've never heard of it!! going to join now!! Thank you :D

The yoga teacher was new. It was not an advanced class. But as I said above, I've had many issues with yoga classes, and I've tried multiple (5 different) yoga centers, male teachers, female teachers...some were more or less "know all these terms in other languages and twist into a pretzel" but I made sure I told them all about my back problems. There was no help whatsoever. Maybe I just live in a snobby city -shrug- or I come off extra stupid. I find that's true a lot of the time due to my accent.

Anyjunk, thanks again! Can I ask what it is about pilates that makes it hard on the lower back? I admit I know nothing about pilates which is why I mentioned it in the post. I know it's supposed to be all about the 'core' so since I'm weak and lack proper form it was the first thing I thought of.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    If you want to do strength training, it sounds like you would really benefit from a few sessions with a personal trainer. That can be a bit expensive, but he/she can help you make sure you've got proper form and don't push yourself too hard. Check with your gym and find out how much it would cost.

It sounds like your main problem is pushing too hard - looking to get results and pushing yourself too far beyond your body's current limitations. I totally get that it's frustrating, but you HAVE to listen to your body and just go a little beyond what it can do right now, not miles past that point. Generally, if it hurts, stop RIGHT THEN and don't do it anymore. Over time, you'll get more familiar with what you can and can't do and will know the difference between "this hurts because I'm not used to it yet" and "this hurts and is going to become an injury if I don't back off."

Pilates and yoga both require some strength, too. Many yoga poses can be modified to what YOU'RE comfortable with and you can gradually work your way towards "proper" form. The whole point of yoga is to increase flexibility so your lack thereof initially is totally ok! Did you go to the class or just workout at home? Attending a class might be the way to go.

My upper body strength is abysmal at present, but I've just been modifying my yoga workouts to accommodate - holding poses for less time, using yoga blocks/benches to modify poses, etc, until I can start lifting and get some strength in my arms!

Best of luck :)

~Lyssa

Thanks for this. I really don't have the money for a personal trainer but, I should definitely find some way to cough it up. I don't think that my youtubeing is really doing much good. It's just so many things to remember--and I have thyroid disease so my memory is bad to start with. But the thing is it doesn't ever hurt at the gym, it feels great. It's always about three days later that my lower back feels like somebody put a shotgun up to it and pulled the trigger...or I can't lift my left arm...you know...haha fun stuff like that.

I've tried yoga classes and they're just awful to me. Firstly I'm not into the whole hippie thing, I don't know what it means to "breathe into your hips" or whatever, and I've been chastised for not 'ohming' and also for not getting my own brick/blanket--I don't know anything about modified poses and when the teacher came to help me she was flustered and visibly annoyed that she was disrupting class to help a newbie. So yeah, yoga is basically a no go. I do try some classes at home, where I do the poses extra bad ;) but I like to stretch. And the people in the videos don't make a fool out of me so that's always a plus.

Anyway thanks for the advice!

Sounds like you stumbled across an awful yoga instructor. If you go see another one, try to go early, let them know you've not done much yoga and let them know of your issues. They'll need to give you modifications as you go along. I took yoga for a long time in my gym - they had mats, bricks everything. You could bring your own, but it's not expected in all locations by any means

You can do this. Don't let an evil mean *kitten* scare you off...

Thank you for this <3 The thing is, I've tried going to yoga multiple times, because I know that my lack of flexibility is a problem. That class just stands out as one of many failures. I am self conscious as it is, due to my lack of mobility, but I'm unfamiliar with yoga terms and yoga culture as a whole. And if anyone says "there's no such thing as yoga culture" they're totally full of it. I just didn't enjoy anything about it other than the actual stretches themselves--I felt stressed, anxious, and stupid. And that's in several different yoga centers. Several different "new student" orientations. Basically yoga in a class setting is just not for me.

Well no need to do classes that make you stressed when they should have the opposite effect. But LOL - enjoying the actual stretches, that's 100% the main purpose of going to yoga :laugh: Yeah I'm full of it because all I ever did was enjoy stretches, calming music and doing some epic balance poses. It was also a great way to spend time with some instructors that I actually liked

If the yoga stretches really did help you out, though, you can also search some true beginner routines on the Internet and try those. I did that like once or twice, but generally speaking, my personality type pretty much requires me to be in a class setting to work out regularly
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Learn proper form ... learn self discipline ... combine the two.

No *kitten*, sherlock....

So you don't just lack self discipline in the weight room as evident here.

No amount of lessons from a trainer will help until you learn to operate within limits unless you plan on having somebody there to restrain you every time you choose to go into "beast mode".

The amount of smugness on this site, I always forget about it. Haha. Go run and preach somewhere else.

I post saying "I don't know proper form"

Your response

"Learn proper form"

Genius. Why aren't you running the country?!?!?!

You didn't make that quote in your OP. Now you're lying to go with your childish attacks.

I'm lying? LOL. I think everybody here can read and understand that's exactly what I've said. And unlike you, they offered concrete steps on HOW to get proper form. You're pathetic man. Go somewhere else with your attitude.

More childish name calling and a lack of understanding how quotation marks work .. yet you call me pathetic. I'm not the one with the lack of discipline resulting in repeated injuries ... you are.
  • theutahdesertfox
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    If you have a history of back problems, I'd recommend you see your doctor and maybe get a physio referral. They can advise you on stretches and exercises that can help. At least that might help whilst you save up for a personal training session

The worst thing for you to do is go adding injury to your existing problems

Very true. My chiro has given me exercises and stretches to do in the past, but he's also pretty irritated at me because I don't like any of the advice he gives--running barefoot, not using the elliptical (something about it's an unnatural gait) my mindset has always been to just get up and do SOMETHING because for years I suffered really intense chronic depression. If I'm out and moving, then I feel like a different person. But apparently I don't move correctly :P

• theutahdesertfox
    Options

No amount of lessons from a trainer will help until you learn to operate within limits unless you plan on having somebody there to restrain you every time you choose to go into "beast mode".

The amount of smugness on this site, I always forget about it. Haha. Go run and preach somewhere else.

Your response

"Learn proper form"

You didn't make that quote in your OP. Now you're lying to go with your childish attacks.

I'm lying? LOL. I think everybody here can read and understand that's exactly what I've said. And unlike you, they offered concrete steps on HOW to get proper form. You're pathetic man. Go somewhere else with your attitude.

More childish name calling and a lack of understanding how quotation marks work .. yet you call me pathetic. I'm not the one with the lack of discipline resulting in repeated injuries ... you are.

Uh oh, he's calling out my grammar. Big tough guy.
  • weavingtheweb
    weavingtheweb Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have a history of back and hip issues due to an accident many moons ago. I love Strong Curves! It has a section on bodyweight with which you can start until you're confident enough to use weights.
    I highly recommend it.
  • theutahdesertfox
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    If you want to do strength training, it sounds like you would really benefit from a few sessions with a personal trainer. That can be a bit expensive, but he/she can help you make sure you've got proper form and don't push yourself too hard. Check with your gym and find out how much it would cost.

It sounds like your main problem is pushing too hard - looking to get results and pushing yourself too far beyond your body's current limitations. I totally get that it's frustrating, but you HAVE to listen to your body and just go a little beyond what it can do right now, not miles past that point. Generally, if it hurts, stop RIGHT THEN and don't do it anymore. Over time, you'll get more familiar with what you can and can't do and will know the difference between "this hurts because I'm not used to it yet" and "this hurts and is going to become an injury if I don't back off."

Pilates and yoga both require some strength, too. Many yoga poses can be modified to what YOU'RE comfortable with and you can gradually work your way towards "proper" form. The whole point of yoga is to increase flexibility so your lack thereof initially is totally ok! Did you go to the class or just workout at home? Attending a class might be the way to go.

My upper body strength is abysmal at present, but I've just been modifying my yoga workouts to accommodate - holding poses for less time, using yoga blocks/benches to modify poses, etc, until I can start lifting and get some strength in my arms!

Best of luck :)

~Lyssa

Thanks for this. I really don't have the money for a personal trainer but, I should definitely find some way to cough it up. I don't think that my youtubeing is really doing much good. It's just so many things to remember--and I have thyroid disease so my memory is bad to start with. But the thing is it doesn't ever hurt at the gym, it feels great. It's always about three days later that my lower back feels like somebody put a shotgun up to it and pulled the trigger...or I can't lift my left arm...you know...haha fun stuff like that.

I've tried yoga classes and they're just awful to me. Firstly I'm not into the whole hippie thing, I don't know what it means to "breathe into your hips" or whatever, and I've been chastised for not 'ohming' and also for not getting my own brick/blanket--I don't know anything about modified poses and when the teacher came to help me she was flustered and visibly annoyed that she was disrupting class to help a newbie. So yeah, yoga is basically a no go. I do try some classes at home, where I do the poses extra bad ;) but I like to stretch. And the people in the videos don't make a fool out of me so that's always a plus.

Anyway thanks for the advice!

Sounds like you stumbled across an awful yoga instructor. If you go see another one, try to go early, let them know you've not done much yoga and let them know of your issues. They'll need to give you modifications as you go along. I took yoga for a long time in my gym - they had mats, bricks everything. You could bring your own, but it's not expected in all locations by any means

You can do this. Don't let an evil mean *kitten* scare you off...

Thank you for this <3 The thing is, I've tried going to yoga multiple times, because I know that my lack of flexibility is a problem. That class just stands out as one of many failures. I am self conscious as it is, due to my lack of mobility, but I'm unfamiliar with yoga terms and yoga culture as a whole. And if anyone says "there's no such thing as yoga culture" they're totally full of it. I just didn't enjoy anything about it other than the actual stretches themselves--I felt stressed, anxious, and stupid. And that's in several different yoga centers. Several different "new student" orientations. Basically yoga in a class setting is just not for me.

Well no need to do classes that make you stressed when they should have the opposite effect. But LOL - enjoying the actual stretches, that's 100% the main purpose of going to yoga :laugh: Yeah I'm full of it because all I ever did was enjoy stretches, calming music and doing some epic balance poses. It was also a great way to spend time with some instructors that I actually liked

If the yoga stretches really did help you out, though, you can also search some true beginner routines on the Internet and try those. I did that like once or twice, but generally speaking, my personality type pretty much requires me to be in a class setting to work out regularly

I totally understand. See that's why I like the gym, I like doing my own thing but being around others hwo are also kind of doing their own thing.....you know? That might not make any sense. Haha. Anyway, I think I'll keep the yoga to videos at home, and maybe take some other class (because I do like classes now and then) to fulfill the social aspect of it.

• theutahdesertfox
    Options
    I have a history of back and hip issues due to an accident many moons ago. I love Strong Curves! It has a section on bodyweight with which you can start until you're confident enough to use weights.
    I highly recommend it.

Is this a video program? Where can I find it? More info!!! And thanks so much!
  • weavingtheweb
    weavingtheweb Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    No it's a book. I bought the Kindle edition on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Strong-Curves-Womans-Building-Better/dp/1936608642
    However, if you search YT for 'strong curves workout' you'll find lots of videos
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Your response

"Learn proper form"

Uh oh, he's calling out my grammar. Big tough guy.

More name calling from you. It's all you have.

You've admitted you cannot learn from videos ... yet you continue to seek more of that type of lesson. You lack the discipline to stop before things go wrong. You lack the ability to pay attention during your workouts ... blaming a "zone" rather than your attentiveness while conducting an activity that can, and has, led to injury.

When you rant in response ... which I fully expect you to do ... try to do so based on the points I've highlighted.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race. I know what you mean about getting into beast mode when you workout. Because you get into that zone and you're just focused. However, getting injured makes it so it takes longer for you to regain what you did. Sounds like you're familiar with your body and the kinds of movements/pressure it takes to injure yourself. I really like the idea of getting a personal trainer who can work with you on those things.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

Your response

"Learn proper form"

It's generally considered poor etiquette to ask for advice and then insult the people who give you advice.

This would be true if the person had actually offered real advice, rather than suggesting vague, condescending generalities that OP obviously already knew.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

Your response

"Learn proper form"

media-4997-w400-c0x0x29x102-q100.jpg

It just seems like you don't like the obvious answers to your problem. Slow your roll, and learn to do it properly. It's not smug, it's blunt and honest. You're hurting yourself because as you say you go into "beast mode" and overdo it. A trainer is likely going to start you off low and slow, which you could do on your own (and will need to learn to do anyhow).
  • KingoftheLilies
    KingoftheLilies Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Your response

"Learn proper form"

It's generally considered poor etiquette to ask for advice and then insult the people who give you advice.

This would be true if the person had actually offered real advice, rather than suggesting vague, condescending generalities that OP obviously already knew.

Maybe so..although I'm not sure a response of No *kitten* Sherlock is ever really appropriate, considering I personally don't really know what OP wants people to tell her to do.

Probably looking for some advice on classes (preferably cheaper than a personal trainer) or some sort of environment that would help her pay attention to form.

OP, see if you can find a dedicated powerlifting gym with good members who will coach you for a reasonable fee. Seems like it'd be your thing, lifting as heavy as you can, and from the PL gyms I've been to there's a genuine sense of camaraderie & helpfulness if you come in with a decent amount of deference & willingness to learn.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    If I was you, I would.

1. Get a trainer. I know it's expensive but if you find it hard to learn from videos I think it'd save you stress, time and pain in the future.
    2. Take your chiro's advice about things to avoid, stretches etc., or if you have reason to believe he's not giving good advice, find a better one.
    3. Force yourself to take it slow. I understand wanting to give it your all, and I get that you always want to be moving due to a history of depression, but you could seriously hurt yourself and that could be it for you in terms of strenuous, formal, progressive training.

It takes dedication to give it your all, sure, but it also takes dedication to be meticulous, structured, and above all, careful in terms of how you approach your training and build up to things gradually. There are no prizes for going balls to the wall and risking injury. Trying to do too much too soon is pretty foolish for someone in the peak of physical health, and without wanting to be insensitive, it sounds like you have a host of back issues. Take it slow, use a trainer to learn correct form, and give your body adequate recovery time, and you'll do great.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    It takes dedication to give it your all, sure, but it also takes dedication to be meticulous, structured, and above all, careful in terms of how you approach your training and build up to things gradually
    So you're saying, learn self discipline. Correct?
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Well, just because you work on a farm, doesn't mean your body will be capable of certain exercises... Form and technique is everything, so that's the first thing to look at..