Pain in one hip when walking

Options
tomatoey
tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
What is that about? Left hip, when I extend past a certain range (about 3/4 of the way into a normal walking stride). I've only felt this very occasionally, and only while walking (not in the morning or night or at rest). Did x-rays two years ago, doc said it looked like osteoarthritis and said "take pain meds".

That hip does also sometimes makes a clicking sound when I move it in different directions (certain kicks) - only sometimes, though, as well.

It hasn't been a HUGE interruption, I only feel it now and then. But is there a chance it's maybe bursitis, or something else? The x-rays were the only investigation done for that.

X-rays have also picked up arthritis in a few other places (knees, toe).

Nothing in the hands, where I sometimes have pains, but one ultrasound (for an unrelated thing) did pick up "effusions" in the joint space.

It's not rheumatoid arthritis, that's been excluded through blood work by a rheumatologist. Also my knees are the only joints where pains are symmetrical.

The thing is that I've had to take two weeks off from activity. My knee feels loose and a little sore with walking. When I've felt that way in the past, my physio's said that's because of the inactivity, and the best thing is to slowly introduce my exercises again. So I"ll do that. But meanwhile, I'm at home tonight, because walking hurts :(

But I can't help thinking, what if some of these pains are really bursitis and not osteoarthrits?? Because if that's the case, it's treatable with antibiotics and cortisone injections.

I am going to be looking for a sports doc, just wondering if someone here had any thoughts on this.

Replies

• tschlach
    tschlach Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Best thing you can do is get it looked at again. Maybe a second opinion. I have pain in my left hip and heel spurs and walking any distance hurts like crazy. I've found using the elliptical is easier on my joints( knees, hips, ect.)
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a physiotherapist? I had a similar issue and was able to get it sorted out with physio, particularly ART (active release therapy).
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Tomatoey, I'd go see another doctor so you can get a proper diagnoses.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Tomatoey, I'd go see another doctor so you can get a proper diagnoses.

Thanks, SLLRunner. I should, you're right.

I feel mistrustful of doctors, though, after a 2-year odyssey trying to figure out what the hell was wrong with my foot led to inconclusive results. (I saw soooo many doctors - sports med, rheum, two GPs, none of them could figure it out, scans conflicted with each other. Spent so many hours in waiting rooms and lost so much of my life not being able to freaking walk). One doctor treated me like a hypochondriac med-seeker because my pain didn't make sense to him. When I never once accepted a prescription for pain medication. I stuck to OTC stuff.

I do have a great physiotherapist. She's the one who finally diagnosed that foot, based on a clinical evaluation.

But for bursitis and OA, I think it still has to come down to scans and labs, and the idea of having to question diagnoses, to fight to be taken seriously, is really just draining. I've had to do it for a few other things, too. I just wish they would do their fkng jobs.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    You need to see a doctor...it could be many different things. I had a mysterious pain in my hip when walking years ago. My doctor sent me to see an orthopedic surgeon who did an exam and x-rays and it turns out it was just a tight muscle. He told me to buy a specific stretching book and do some hip stretches and if it didn't get better he would set me up with a physical therapist. Well, the book worked! The pain went away in a few weeks and never came back.

The point is, it can be very difficult to self-diagnose. See a doctor.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    You need to see a doctor...it could be many different things. I had a mysterious pain in my hip when walking years ago. My doctor sent me to see an orthopedic surgeon who did an exam and x-rays and it turns out it was just a tight muscle. He told me to buy a specific stretching book and do some hip stretches and if it didn't get better he would set me up with a physical therapist. Well, the book worked! The pain went away in a few weeks and never came back.

Well, damn. That's lucky :) I'm glad it was something benign and temporary. You're right, it could be anything.

I have no idea how to assess whether a doctor is going to be a good doctor or not, is the thing, and I don't have a lot of trust.

Sorry, I'm feeling whiny. I could have been out doing three different things tonight, peeved about that :(
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Is your clicking on the outside of the hip or inside along the bend of the thigh/groin?

Look into a good sports medicine doc or an orthopedic surgeon. They typically order special views of the hip in lieu of the traditional 2 view non-trauma hip images. Sometimes the clicking can indicate something going on within the acetabulum (where the femoral head meets the hip joint) or if on the lateral (outside) hip, could be your IT band. This is often called snapping hip syndrome or dancers hip.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

Well, damn. That's lucky :) I'm glad it was something benign and temporary. You're right, it could be anything.

I have no idea how to assess whether a doctor is going to be a good doctor or not, is the thing, and I don't have a lot of trust.

Sorry, I'm feeling whiny. I could have been out doing three different things tonight, peeved about that :(

It's hard to know ahead of time if they are any good...unless maybe you can get recommendations from someone else, but even that is hit or miss. However, if they quickly treat you and you feel better, chanced are they know what they're doing!

I would read up on some things it could be...bursitis, arthritis, etc. Have a pretty good idea of what tests are standard to diagnose these things...and discuss each possibility with the doctor. I find that's a happy medium between just blindly trusting them on one hand or being a pain in the *kitten* patient who thinks she knows more than someone who went to medical school because she spent half an hour googling on the other hand. Educate yourself to the extent you reasonably can, and go in with questions. But you have to trust them to some extent...try what they recommend (if it isn't extreme). If it doesn't work, then you can always start looking for a second opinion.
  • tomatoey
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Peloton73 wrote: »
    Is your clicking on the outside of the hip or inside along the bend of the thigh/groin?

Look into a good sports medicine doc or an orthopedic surgeon. They typically order special views of the hip in lieu of the traditional 2 view non-trauma hip images. Sometimes the clicking can indicate something going on within the acetabulum (where the femoral head meets the hip joint) or if on the lateral (outside) hip, could be your IT band. This is often called snapping hip syndrome or dancers hip.

The pain is on the outside. Oh, wow. Thank you. Ok. I will try to find someone who sounds as knowledgeable as you do :) Thank you. :)

Sorry: you asked about the clicking - the clicking is on the outside as well. Sorry, I'm feeling a little emotional :)

Thank you again.

• tomatoey
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

It's hard to know ahead of time if they are any good...unless maybe you can get recommendations from someone else, but even that is hit or miss. However, if they quickly treat you and you feel better, chanced are they know what they're doing!

I would read up on some things it could be...bursitis, arthritis, etc. Have a pretty good idea of what tests are standard to diagnose these things...and discuss each possibility with the doctor. I find that's a happy medium between just blindly trusting them on one hand or being a pain in the *kitten* patient who thinks she knows more than someone who went to medical school because she spent half an hour googling on the other hand. Educate yourself to the extent you reasonably can, and go in with questions. But you have to trust them to some extent...try what they recommend (if it isn't extreme). If it doesn't work, then you can always start looking for a second opinion.

This is good advice :) Much appreciated. I think you're right, and I think I need to be looking for someone willing to communicate, in the first instance.

You've all made me feel better. Thank you all :)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Do you have any old injuries or musculo-skeletal issues above or below your hip?

I have something similar on my left side. It only bothers me when I run a lot. My theory is that it is due to either a knee injury on the same side or to my scoliosis.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I second the idea of a sports medicine doc - Also, make sure that you have proper footwear - if you have over-pronation that will put stress on both knee and hip.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Do you have any old injuries or musculo-skeletal issues above or below your hip?

I have something similar on my left side. It only bothers me when I run a lot. My theory is that it is due to either a knee injury on the same side or to my scoliosis.

Yes, good catch - it was my left foot that I struggled with for years (and continue to struggle with, but less so).
  • tomatoey
    Options
    maxit wrote: »
    I second the idea of a sports medicine doc - Also, make sure that you have proper footwear - if you have over-pronation that will put stress on both knee and hip.

Another good catch :) I do have overpronation, and wear orthotics to help with that (and my foot issue).
  • Parkercomom
    Parkercomom Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My son plays college baseball and had left outer hip pain...it was an itb issue and over pronation. Custom orthotics worked well for him and he is pain free.
  • Vixenmd1
    Vixenmd1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    When this happened to me it was a stress fracture in my hip which was only figured out by a doc and an MRI. If it wasnt cuaght then it would have lead to a full break of my hip and likely surgery. I wouldmsay find a doctor.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Thanks, guys :)