Vegan Transition

Options
Hello all! I'm planning to go Vegan-ish (1 animal protien day a week) and would like more information on how to get an adequate protien supply as well as general information about the diet. If you have an advice, tips, or resources I'd love to hear from you. If you are vegan or vegetarian add me so we can swap recipes and what not.

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I'm about as opposite as you can get from a vegan, but if you're going vegan for moral reasons, that's your prerogative and good luck. As far as protein sources, the vegans I know usually have to use protein powder to help get anywhere close to adequate protein. Soy protein would probably be a good choice if you're going strictly vegan. The Bioavailability of it is nowhere near that of whey, but your options are limited, so I'd go with that. Good luck.
  • moltobella
    moltobella Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    fitmissjes wrote: »
    (1 animal protien day a week)
    Uh, ok... :|

Foods such as lentils, beans, and tofu are high in protein. Fake meat is worth giving a try, depending on the brand. Beyond Meat and Gardein are good. In my opinion, your main concern should be iron and B12. You can get B12 from stuff like fortified nondairy products (like vegan yogurt and soymilk) and nutritional yeast. Soybeans, fortified cereals, chickpeas, and dark leafy greens are excellent sources of iron.

I agree. I use Plant Fusion for my protein shakes, I love Gardein, drink almond milk (either homemade or Califia brand), occasionally use Garden of Life spray B12, Source of Life liquid vitamins, snack on Louisville Vegan Jerky for a high protein snack. I've never had an issue with iron. I don't eat cereals or chickpeas (unless their in hummus form. I hate the texture). I get plenty of protein and almost always meet my daily vitamin and mineral needs.
  • LadyFencer
    LadyFencer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If you are eating non-junk food and getting enough calories, it is virtually impossible to be deficient in protein. Vegans do need to supplement with b12. Check vegan.com for solid nutritional info and links. pcrm.org has a vegan kickstart with nutritional info and recipes. Fake meats can be handy transition foods but they are not good for you. Non-vegans get obsessed with protein, but it's not an issue. For a funny take on that, check YouTube for the Vegan Smythe song "where do you get your protein?" Good luck.
  • pumpkinpatchmouse
    pumpkinpatchmouse Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorite protein sources are beans such as chickpeas, black beans, and also peas! Very easy to use canned and add to easy recipes like pasta or salads. Nuts are also good, however they are higher in calories. I have been a vegan 8 years and never have had a problem with protein or building muscle.
  • jonrenly
    jonrenly Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    I'm about as opposite as you can get from a vegan, but if you're going vegan for moral reasons, that's your prerogative and good luck. As far as protein sources, the vegans I know usually have to use protein powder to help get anywhere close to adequate protein. Soy protein would probably be a good choice if you're going strictly vegan. The Bioavailability of it is nowhere near that of whey, but your options are limited, so I'd go with that. Good luck.

Stop spreading misinformation.
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm NOT vegan, but I eat a mainly vegan diet. Protein is actually easily obtainable through a vegan diet, beans nad nuts are packed with the stuff. Quinoa is good too, but I seem to struggle with creating anything other than a sloppy mess with that stuff!
    You're best off having a Google search, there's loads of info out there but it can be a bit overwhelming.
    What I do is eat whole foods as much as possible, salads and veggie choices are based on a variety of colours (put very simply, different colours represent different nutrients) and protein is mainly achieved through beans and nuts.
    Learn to love avacado's (if you don't already,) they're really good for you.
    As above, the fake meats are good sources of protein, but I personally try and avoid them due to the amount of processing they go through (that's just my personal choice though)
    Also, as said above, look very carefully into the vitamin B12 issue, it is the only thing that you can't get with vegan eating and omitting it is dangerous.
    Lots of vegan produces (etc butters and milk) are fortified with B12, you can also buy tablets which are cheap.
    One day of animal protein a week might give you enough, but look into it carefully.

You have to be a little bit careful with vegan protein, some sources are high in calories. Although they're "good" fats, just keep the calories in mind.
    If you need some inspiration, have a search for the athlete "Rich Roll," and see what can be achieved through plant power.
    Good luck!
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    LadyFencer wrote: »
    If you are eating non-junk food and getting enough calories, it is virtually impossible to be deficient in protein....

Maybe, possibly..for people who only care about getting the minimum amount of protein to avoid a medical deficiency, this notion might contain a speck of truth. But, for anyone interested in getting a beneficial amount of protein for optimal health benefits, the picture is more complicated.
  • ShaynannonBaker
    ShaynannonBaker Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I am not an expert, and will not be held by anything I say as a definitive truth.
    What I can say is, I have been using this website http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/ as a reference.
    It has been suggested to me to keep switching my vegan protein powders, as not to 1) get bored and more susceptible to cheat, 2) not to over-do my nutrition from once source or another. Too much of anything can cause a food sensitivity.
    *good luck*
  • LadyFencer
    LadyFencer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Excess protein stresses your kidneys. It is definitely not a case of the more the better. The American emphasis on protein has weird historical origins and is based on rat studies. I believe human breast milk is about 5 percent protein. That is for the period in your life when you're growing the most. Excess of a nutrient does not equal optimum health.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    LadyFencer wrote: »
    Excess protein stresses your kidneys. It is definitely not a case of the more the better. The American emphasis on protein has weird historical origins and is based on rat studies. I believe human breast milk is about 5 percent protein. That is for the period in your life when you're growing the most. Excess of a nutrient does not equal optimum health.

So you believe any amount over 5% is excess?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    A good idea for protein sources - broken into groups of vegan, vegetarian, omnivore:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/926789/protein-sources/p1

It obviously doesn't have everything, but it's a good starter.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I've switched to reducing animal fats for cholesterol purposes (long story..), so I have a more vegan-oriented diet than I would usually have. I've actually found it quite easy to get enough protein for me. I still have some dairy and my "animal" protein is usually fish plus an egg a day, but I eat more lentils, chickpeas, beans, tofu, seeds, nuts. I've found if I focus on getting enough fat, then the protein seems to take care of itself, but it depends on how much protein you're targeting.

My diary's open.