On walks and exercise burns and other fun stuff!

Options
PAV8888
PAV8888 Posts: 13,658 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
172.5cm (5ft 8"), 192lbs. 49 yo, male. Katch-McCardle TDEE is about 2030Cal per day. When I was 225lbs, it was about 2060Cal.

This is based on "sedentary", which is what I used to be. In January 2014 I averaged less than 3500 steps a day--and I was already increasing my activity!

The 'only' exercise I do is walk. Somewhere between 18,000 and 21,000 steps a day. On average.

As far as I can tell this creates a TDEE of between 3,000 and 3200 Cal.

In other words the walking creates a burn of a bit more than 1000 Cal a day. And yes, it does take more than an hour a day!

Step counts through January were estimated using "Pacer" on an Android phone. Since February I have been using a Fitbit Charge HR.

zuwd7xnvh6o5.jpg

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I love walking more than any other exercise!
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Good work!
  • PAV8888
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Good work!

Err sure, and thank you!

But I was posting more as a reaction to the serious doubts that people are expressing about being able to burn 1K Cal a day exercising. And also as a reaction to the general concern that exists in terms of eating back exercise calories, and in particular "walking" calories as calculated by various all day tracker apps.

While it doesn't quite look like 100% eat-back is always warranted... it does still look like over 85% to me!
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Oh, ok, I was just congratulating you on your obvious hard work and commitment. Did not realize there was doubts about burning 1000 calories a day. I did it yesterday!

It doesn't really matter if you eat back exercise calories or not, does it? If you don't, you just create a higher deficit. I eat them back if I am hungry. Usually that ends up being eating a few hundred extra.
  • PAV8888
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Oh, ok, I was just congratulating you on your obvious hard work and commitment. Did not realize there was doubts about burning 1000 calories a day. I did it yesterday!
    Other thread today. People were arguing as to whether it was possible for the guy burning 1000Cal a day exercising!
    It doesn't really matter if you eat back exercise calories or not, does it? If you don't, you just create a higher deficit. I eat them back if I am hungry. Usually that ends up being eating a few hundred extra.
    Well you don't seem to be scared to eat them, and you don't seem to be scared of going a few Cals over goal or under--which seems like a healthy attitude! Because as long as you can tolerate the deficits and are losing at a healthy rate... why the heck not?!

However I've seen posts that can be "summarized" as people agonizing whether to eat 50% of their exercise Cal back--while netting under 900 after exercise and set to lose at 2lbs a week with 10lbs to go to the bottom of the normal weight range for their height!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    The 'only' exercise I do is walk. Somewhere between 18,000 and 21,000 steps a day. On average.

As far as I can tell this creates a TDEE of between 3,000 and 3200 Cal.

Since February I have been using a Fitbit Charge HR.

Your Fitbit burn is your TDEE. If you connect your accounts at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit and enable negative calorie adjustments, MFP will adjust your daily calorie goal to TDEE minus deficit.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • PAV8888
    edited May 2015
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    Your Fitbit burn is your TDEE. If you connect your accounts
    Well this is what, in part, what I am trying to determine by looking at my data.

I "think" I know what I eat based on my MFP records.

I "think" I know what I spend based on Fitbit's TDEE calculations.

I "think" I know what I weight based on what the scale measures.

And

I "think" I know how much fat and muscle I am losing based on a series of DXA scans using the same machine, operator, and software.

And then, among all these error filled measurements, we try to figure out where we're at!

If you were to ask me based on feeling, I would say that Fitbit overestimates TDEE a tiny tiny bit compared to Pacer.

However the difference could well be non significant given all other errors, or adaptations may have taken place that would explain the approx 100 Cal increase in apparent error.

Overall though, yes, I agree with you: Fitbit TDEE does look pretty darn accurate given how fraught with problems this whole calorie calculation thing is.

Enough so that I would strongly urge people reading this to eat back their Fitbit calories if by not eating them they are creating unsustainably large deficits!

• kpkitten
    kpkitten Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I use a Fitbit too, and I get about 1000 "extra" calories on days when I work which can be attributed to walking. So yes, I can burn 1000 calories a day above my BMR (or above sedentary TDEE) but most people wouldn't class this as exercise.
    I guess it's fair enough to say it's not exercise, but I only work 3-4 days a week, so if I were to factor it into my daily activity, I'd be significantly over my TDEE on days where I don't work, or significantly under it on days where I do work, or both (depending whether I averaged out the activity across the week or said all days were active). Plus, most people would probably tell me that my job only merits a "lightly active" activity setting!!

I think there is too much advice given to people to underestimate everything. You should probably either assume you're sedentary and eat back AT LEAST 50% of exercise calories, OR assume you're lightly active/active and eat back 25-50% of exercise calories. So many new people will get the impression that they should set themselves to sedentary, not eat back exercise calories (or only a very small portion of them), and that they shouldn't include walking calories at all (because even if they walk, they're probably not more than sedentary or lightly active, and walking isn't "exercise")...you see where this is heading?

Personally I would recommend to anyone who asks how to lose weight that they get a Fitbit/other tracker, and get *accurate* calories. Yes, they're not 100% accurate, but they are much more reliable than "sedentary"/"active" etc. Especially if someone does little exercise other than walking, being able to see "exactly" how many calories they burn, and then how much they can eat to lose weight, is eye-opening but incredibly useful and motivating.
  • likehlikeo
    likehlikeo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I use runkeeper on my iphone (I have the old 5, without the pedometer, so I have no idea regarding steps).
    I walk 10k to work, 3-5k during lunch break, and another 10k back home. The weather is so nice at the moment, I could not stand being squeezed into the sweaty, stinky subway :) I bought a reusable to-go coffee cup and enjoy my morning coffee on my way to work. I love my mornings now and burn a lot of calories with my 20k + walking every day....
  • baby_firefly_666
    baby_firefly_666 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Walking is underrated haha! I love going for long walks, it really helps me to de-stress. If I have music with me I end up walking for ages and before I know it I end up burning a decent amount of calories.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I wish I could burn 1000 calories on 18,000 steps, I have to walk 22,000 before I start to burn over 1000 lol

I always eat back my calories from walking, I would be starving if I didn't. Walking extra to get more calories is the only way I can stick to my calories for the day.
  • PAV8888
    edited May 2015
    Options
    kpkitten wrote: »
    I think there is too much advice given to people to underestimate everything.....
    Personally I would recommend to anyone who asks how to lose weight that they get a Fitbit/other tracker, and get *accurate* calories. Yes, they're not 100% accurate, but they are much more reliable than "sedentary"/"active" etc. Especially if someone does little exercise other than walking, being able to see "exactly" how many calories they burn, and then how much they can eat to lose weight, is eye-opening but incredibly useful and motivating.
    I wish I could burn 1000 calories on 18,000 steps, I have to walk 22,000 before I start to burn over 1000 lol

I always eat back my calories from walking, I would be starving if I didn't. Walking extra to get more calories is the only way I can stick to my calories for the day.

Like button! Where is the like button?! Why is there no like button!?

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    it wasn't an over-reaction

how many times have you seen people thinking they are burning far more than they think they are because they use machine burns or MFP database

Yes I burn 350 - 450 calories from just walking 10K steps across the day (over a sedentary MFP setting)

But a 45 minutes intense workout with 30 mins cardio and calisthenics will only burn around 350 and 90 mins with my PT burns around 650

so the comments to the OP in that thread were 'How are you measuring that?" and not "Don't be a chump"
  • PAV8888
    Options
    likehlikeo wrote: »
    I use runkeeper on my iphone (I have the old 5, without the pedometer, so I have no idea regarding steps).
    I walk 10k to work, 3-5k during lunch break, and another 10k back home. The weather is so nice at the moment, I could not stand being squeezed into the sweaty, stinky subway :) I bought a reusable to-go coffee cup and enjoy my morning coffee on my way to work. I love my mornings now and burn a lot of calories with my 20k + walking every day....
    Wow! That's what I call a commute! Wouldn't want to have you in my Pacer group :smile:

Do you manage to get your steps in there at over 105 steps a minute, which puts them in moderate activity territory? Or, even better, do you get a bunch of them in at over 130 steps a minute? While that is quite hard to do, it does push you into vigorous intensity activity territory! (Reference: http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/3/1/e001801.full.pdf)
  • PAV8888
    edited May 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    how many times have you seen people thinking they are burning far more than they think they are because they use machine burns or MFP database
    Yes I burn 350 - 450 calories from just walking 10K steps across the day (over a sedentary MFP setting)
    Hey Rabbit!

Yes, we see this often.

Yet how many times do we also see: "I aim for 1200 and never eat back my exercise calories", netting into VLCD, or even into negative calorie territory? Which one is more dangerous?

Absolutely, people should re-evaluate whatever exercise eat-back decision they make based on reality and, depending on whether they are losing faster, or slower, than expected, adjust!
  • likehlikeo
    edited May 2015
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Wow! That's what I call a commute! Wouldn't want to have you in my Pacer group :smile:

Do you manage to get your steps in there at over 105 steps a minute, which puts them in moderate activity territory? Or, even better, do you get a bunch of them in at over 130 steps a minute? While that is quite hard to do, it does push you into vigorous intensity activity territory! (Reference: http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/3/1/e001801.full.pdf)

This is a loooong text :dizzy: haha...Bookmarked for tonights reading!

I will totally count my steps per minute when I walk home later! (I love measuring stuff...)
  • PAV8888
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I will totally count my steps per minute when I walk home later! (I love measuring stuff...)
    Quite hard to measure if you're walking fast :smile: Try counting every second step for either three or five minutes at a time!

But it might be much easier to load something like the Pacer Pedometer app on an android, or iphone. It will count your steps and time you spent walking and can even connect back to MFP!

You could also record your walks using Runkeeper (or mapmywalk/mapmyrun, Runtastic, Strava, google tracks) and have a GPS based track.

And the cheapest Fitbit is the Zip. Jawbone's Up Move, Misfit's Flash, Bowflex's Boost, Fitbug's Orb, and Xiomi's Mi Band (the least expensive one of the bunch) are all similarly priced!
  • likehlikeo
    Options
    I use runkeeper (and I will get the Apple Watch *guilty pleasures*)...:)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I use runkeeper (and I will get the Apple Watch *guilty pleasures*)...:)
    Ah, well then nothing simpler.

The steps in the above study are just proxies for measuring walks at the 4+kph and 6.4+kph levels.
    Runkeeper already tells you how fast you're walking :smiley:

And if you just want to get a step count, you can always download the Pacer Pedometer free app (or similar)
  • likehlikeo
    Options
    Ah, I'm in the 6.4 kph level then :) I didn't read the paper yet, but yeah, runkeeper gives me all the info I need B)