Weight gain from muscle swelling

Options
Is this true? If you start a new workout regimen, do you actually gain a few lbs after your workout due to muscle swelling? If so, how long does it last?

Replies

• belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Yup water retention I have gained up to 4 lbs. It went away after a rest day or two
  • lisavirani
    lisavirani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    bump

I'm new to working out. Lost 41 pounds just by eating better. Now that I have started working out a couple weeks ago, I have started to gain slowly. I'm not too worried because I've heard other people say the same thing. I am interested to learn more about the process though and how long it will take before I start seeing progress again. I haven't measured inches yet, I'm going to wait another week or two, then see if those numbers have changed at all.
  • MrsScheidt
    MrsScheidt Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Well, based on personal experience I've noticed a gain of 2 to 3 lbs after a good workout. But I want to know how long this lasts? Meaning will I continue to go up and down after every workout? Or is it just because my muscles are not used to the workout yet? It gets really frustrating, especially when you're one of those people who are obsessed with the scale. I know, its bad but I have to weigh myself everyday.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone can really answer this question. It all depends on the type of work out you are doing and how your body reacts. I am lifting 5 days a week, so I put on water while my muscles heal, and I put on Muscle weight. SO, I just started obsessing on how my clothing fits and on my Body Composition and do not worry about the scale. I went from weighing myself daily to weighing myself once or twice a month. It makes it less stressfull.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Repairing muscles requires more water.

So, ALL the weight gained afterwards is water retention.

Slowly weight will go up as the muscle mass increases. But... most here want FAT loss, not WEIGHT loss. Losing weight is simply, cut your legs off and BAM weight loss. Fat loss is more complex.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Yes, two to three days, enjoy it!
  • jffrydale
    jffrydale Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    started running/biking again on top of p90x3 n weight actually went up by 5 lbs as my body was adapting. Started dropping again around the 7-8 day mark as the soreness went away...
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh about 2-3lbs more for about 2 days after an intense workout. And I have been working out for a long time consistently and it still happens. Pretty much if my muscles feel sore, I expect the scale to be a bit up.