Men on a Mission: 50 lbs by Thanksgiving

Options
Fellow Men!

I would like to start a weekly support group for weight loss. If you are interested, please respond with:

First name
Current weight
Goal weight at Thanksgiving
How you plan to accomplish the weight loss
Favorite form of exercise
Favorite low calorie snack

Each week, we will report our weight loss and discuss tips and ideas to keep us moving forward (or downward) on our journey. Winner of the week will be highlighted.

Requirements for joining : must be a man, and a desire to lose at least 50 pounds

Respond as soon as possible and we'll get started!

apolloag

Replies

• rd82716
    rd82716 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Exactly what I'm looking for!
    I'm Richard
    Weight: 308
    Thanksgiving Goal: 258
    Weight Goal: 215
    Plan to reduce calorie intake and start exercising four times per week.
    My favorite form of exercise would be some heavy duty hiking. But I have to work back into that shape.
    My low calorie snack would be almonds or carrot sticks. Unfortunately my favorite snack right now is seconds of anything.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Maybe you should start a Group up?

In the meantime, if you'll allow me to back-date a few weeks, I *had* 50 more pounds to go but lost a few. :smile:

Can I play? Currently I have 20.5ish kg to go = 45lbs. If need be I can put a few back on... and that did happen once, a minor blip thankfully. I started needing to lose 100 (45kg) so I'm a little more than half-way to my goal now.
    • Name: Mike
    • Weight: 195 (88kg)
    • Thanksgiving Goal: At my goal weight ~150-155
    • Weight Goal: ~150-155 (aiming for my birthday in September but ok as long as trend is in right direction)
    • Plan: Continuing with current plan - watching CICO; continuing to run 4 - 5 times a week with increasing mileage (averaging 40-45km/week); need to meet my May goal of 200km and also include more cycling and some time in gym.
    • Favourite exercise: For regular cardio, running, by far. Trail running is #1. But I also love cycling and hiking. Dog-friendly is a plus.
    • Low calorie snack: small handful of almonds or hazelnuts go a long way for me. With the running I am unafraid of a few more % healthy fats. Medium apple - 50 calories. Blueberries and natural unsweetened Greek yoghurt. Celery / broccoli/cauliflower raw.

• mwyvr
    Options
    Surely there are other men out there with ~50 pounds or more to lose.
  • David_2015
    David_2015 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm in!

David
    Start weight (4 weeks ago): 238
    Weight today: 223
    Goal weight: 189 (not quite 50 pounds, but 49!)
    How: 2,000 calories a day
    Exercise: Jillian Michaels Burn and Shred
    Fave snacks: whatever I fancy but in small portions (always sweet, v rarely savoury)
  • apolloag
    apolloag Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    As soon as we have 6-8, I will get a group started for this. Welcome Mike, Richard, and David!
  • rd82716
    Options
    I dropped 4 pounds this week cutting out Mtn Dew and doing some very light exercise. Going to up the exercise this week and have very specific plans for when I drink something other than water. It's 3 cans this week instead of the 6 cans a day that I used to do.
  • mwyvr
    Options
    Great to meet you all, let's keep this group growing! Men with ~50 lbs or more to lose jump in, the water is fine!
  • apolloag
    Options
    Anyone else like to join?
  • AlecUK
    AlecUK Posts: 41 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi all,

First name : Alec
    Current weight : 109.1Kg (240lbs) at last weigh in (1 week ago)
    Goal weight at Thanksgiving : Around 200lbs by then. However I have no specific time-frame in mind, looking to reach about 80-85kg (176-187lbs) as my overall target
    How you plan to accomplish the weight loss : Restricting calories and increasing my exercise levels
    Favorite form of exercise : Have only just started running, not very good at it yet! Thinking of starting to build in weight training and see which I get on best with.
    Favorite low calorie snack : Crisps, but the baked ones. Which tend to have a lower fat content and overall calories.

I started last week, my intentions are to only weigh in once every 2 weeks rather than every week. I am also logging my chest and waist measurements in the same time period.
  • rd82716
    Options
    I like the measurement idea.
  • Dictorbutt
    Dictorbutt Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I'm doing several challenges but I may be interested. None of them go all the way until November.
  • mwyvr
    Options
    Welcome Alec! Before you know it you'll have been at this for weeks and then months. I find the calorie in and out logging here is easy to do and is very helpful to me to stay on track.

Regarding running - my own story as short as possible: 26kg ago I started running last September. More like a run 500 meters, gasp for air, stop, restart. It took me weeks to repair / regain pneumonia related lung restrictions and run 1km straight, then 2km. By Christmas I was up to 5km, not always non stop but certainly I'd say I was more comfortable and felt like a runner. Fast forward: last week I ran 50+km, my long run was 14km, and I'd covered 802km since September, a number that now grows between 150 - 200km per month. My resting + maximum heart rate, BP, and lung function are excellent. Truly a night and day difference. I'm still overweight (I have ~17-20kg to my goal) but I'm already fit and will only get fitter.

I'm 53 and had no overt health problems (aside from weight and inactivity related lack of fitness) but was starting to see BP creep higher (part of my aha moment last year).

The running becomes easier as you drop. Very key in the early going: don't push the speed. 7 or 8 or 9 minutes per km are perfectly fine times. Put the time in and eventually pace will improve. Slower but longer runs will help you build your aerobic capacity while at the same time help protect yourself from injury.

Running is a great aerobic exercise but isn't the only option. However if you do find you like it you'll still need to do some other strength training lest you become lopsided. :smile:
  • apolloag
    Options
    Men, please see the group I just started for this post "Men on a Mission: 50 lbs lost by Thanksgiving". Also, please respond either to the group or this message if you are interested in joining us. The more, the merrier!
  • Dictorbutt
    Dictorbutt Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mwyvr
    Options
    Bump!

Hey men, got around 50 pounds to lose? Join the group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/105977-men-on-a-mission-50lbs-lost-by-thanksgiving
  • oldmanutah
    oldmanutah Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Name: Kevin
    Weight: 294 pounds
    Goal: 244 by Thanksgiving - 200 in one year
    How: 2000 calories a day and exercise
    Favorite Exercise: Swimming, Rowing and Weights - Ultimate once I am below 250 starting to train for a triathlon next spring.
    Low Calorie Snack: apples and carrots

Logging chest, waist and hip measurements also.

Good luck to you all!
  • dbomb76
    dbomb76 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Name: Dominick
    Weight: 225
    Turkey Day: 180
    The Plan: Count calories, stick to -1000 off TDEE
    Favorite Exercise: Boxing, Surfing
    Low Calorie Snack: Apples, Strawberries, Watermellon
  • 1perry
    1perry Posts: 1 Member
    Options

First name-Perry
    Current weight-260
    Goal weight at Thanksgiving-220
    How you plan to accomplish the weight loss-Walking at least 3 miles per day and kettle bells, tracking food intake
    Favorite form of exercise-Kettle Bells
    Favorite low calorie snack-Banna