need protein

Options
cteel51
cteel51 Posts: 2 Member
What do you eat to get 50% protein in your diet?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    A lot of protein?

Why would you want that much?
  • Dagoberto8878
    Dagoberto8878 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast or buy the supplement, everything depend on how busy you are so I recommend try both, I hope it helps you
  • rahulmehta08
    rahulmehta08 Posts: 2,506 Member
    Options
    as i am vegeterian i include mostly cheese+paneer tofu+yoghurt..
    in morning breakfast i include soya milk and after workout protein shake...preworkout i eat protein bars
  • Dagoberto8878
    Dagoberto8878 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would like to show you the percentage of the protein that I ate today but I don't know how to upload photos and comments at the same time
  • Garebearrr
    Garebearrr Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Realistically your body wouldn't be able to absorb 50% protein, unless you were eating like 5% carbs or something. Even 35% is a decent amount. A say 20-25% is suffice. The main source of energy the body wants is carbohydrates since every cell runs off glucose. My personal opinion is our nation is getting into this fad of over consuming protein content. Your body reaches a point where it turns it into toxic if its overloaded with protein (nitrogen based wise). Anyways enough of my opinion, to answer your question:
    Chicken breast
    Fish
    Steak
    Turkey
    Protein powder
    Lentils
    Chia seeds
    Chlorella
    Spirulina
    Tofu
    Etc
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    A better question is, why would anybody want to have 50% protein?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you need 50% protein?
  • Spyer116
    Spyer116 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    50% is stupidly overkill. I'm at 170g protein / day, and even that is overkill. But i just love chicken and turkey, so its easy enough for me to hit. But even that is only 35% of my calories.
  • fullylugged
    fullylugged Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan and getting along fine on 50 to 75g of protein per day. I do calisthenics almost every morning and pedal a fair number miles each week on a bicycle. Too much protein is tough on your organ systems. (too much of any one thing is bad of course, not just protein)
  • KingsGirl4
    KingsGirl4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    @spyer116 I'm also at 170g protein/day. I'm currently following the Insanity meal plan though so the high protein is so I can get through the crazy workout. But after reading this thread, I feel like that's too high for me. Should I be cutting down my protein? I'm 140 lbs, I don't know my lean mass/body fat%

But when I'm done with Insanity, how should I determine a good protein goal?
  • cfpcyclist
    cfpcyclist Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Regardless of how much you are trying to eat these foods are height in protien relative the their total calories:
    1. Eggs
    2. Shrimp
    3. Arctic Zero
    4. Chipotle salad with chicken
  • cteel51
    cteel51 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My trainer said 25% carbs; 25% fats and 50% protein.
  • giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    cteel51 wrote: »
    My trainer said 25% carbs; 25% fats and 50% protein.

my god those trainers....

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it wasn't 50% carbs? That is not an uncommon ratio. 50% protein I have honestly never seen recommended by any authority or expert. I believe the range generally considered to be healthy is 10%-35%.

https://www.iom.edu/Reports/2002/Dietary-Reference-Intakes-for-Energy-Carbohydrate-Fiber-Fat-Fatty-Acids-Cholesterol-Protein-and-Amino-Acids.aspx

"This report is the fifth in a series of reports from the Food and Nutrition Board presenting dietary reference values for the intake of nutrients by Americans and Canadians.
    This new report establishes ranges for fat, carbohydrates and protein and stresses the importance of balancing diet with exercise. Highlights of the report include:
    Adults should get 45 percent to 65 percent of their calories from carbohydrates, 20 percent to 35 percent from fat, and 10 to 35 percent from protein. Acceptable ranges for children are similar to those for adults, except that infants and younger children need a slightly higher proportion of fat (25 -40 percent)."
  • amoynoodle
    amoynoodle Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Agreed that you dont need 50% protein. Even crazy body builders usually dont eat that much!! But main ways i get my protein in: Greek yogurt, chicken breast, turkey, fish, protein powder, quest bars, cottage cheese, nuts, nut butters etc.