This Sucks!

Options
I am gonna quit for a couple of days. It seems that all I do now is worry about calories, is my serving size right, is my hrm right, should I eat my exercise cals, or no. Every day for about 2 months ,except 2 day when the power was out because of the tornado, but I constantly thought about it. I have been doing 30 shred for 21 days. I have lost 4 pounds( 2 months), and I am obese. I have been exercising every day to the point I feel nausea and light headed. I have tried to cut back on sodium, and I drink tons of water. I am only 29 so my metabolism should be fine. I dont eat out much now. Come on why am I not losing?
And I know it took me 3 years and a pregnancy to get me here, but this is just not right.

Replies

• vauleese
    vauleese Posts: 75
    Options
    First off, you need to breathe. Look at your carbs, your sugar, your fats. If all of those were in the green then I would suggest going to the doctor to get a physical. Conditions like hypothyroid or PCOS make it difficult for women to lose weight.
  • kirstinalexis
    Options
    Your weight loss will be slow at first because you have to build the muscle that burns the calories. But maybe to make the process less overwhelming, focus on one thing at a time. Like, this week, eat an extra serving of fruit. And next week, eat more protein (low protein intake could be a reason you aren't losing weight as fast as you could). And then the next week, worry about calorie counts.

If it took 3 years to put the weight on, it will take 2-3 years to come off.
  • Nharah
    Nharah Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Looking at a few days in your food diary, it looks like you are not eating back your exercise calories, and you are working out HARD.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Obsessing isnt right, Ill agree, feel free to look at my Diary I sure as heck dont eat perfect, but I also dont over obsess.

Being 29 does not save you from having a messed up metabolism. SORRY! I was diagnosed borderline type 2 diabetic at 16 (before it was common). Youre losing a half pound a week which is Healthy. Sure you may want more but your body isnt ready to give yet, and I dont know how over weight you are so a half pound is actually RIGHT. You ARE losing.

And yes it took you 3 years and a pregnancy to get here, why do you expect it to be gone in 2 months?

Im not doing this to be rude but come on!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Going back a few days, your NET calories are WAY LOW (between 800 - 1000). You're the poster child for starvation mode. Eat more.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • pkarim
    pkarim Posts: 171
    Options
    When i first joined MFP i had a really hard time losing weight, my weight loss was 2 pounds after a month of watching my calories and exercising. Also, many of my friends that joined with me actually gained some weight by eating their exercise calories. I recently decided to not eat my exercise calories and i've been having a steady 2 pound weight loss per week. Don't exercise to the point where you feel nauseated and one other thing. I had to change the carbs, MFP allows for you to have way more carbs then you should have if you want to lose weight quickly. I eat a lot of protein and my carbs I get from fruits and veggies. Good luck!
  • ddwin
    ddwin Posts: 78
    Options
    Obsessing isnt right, Ill agree, feel free to look at my Diary I sure as heck dont eat perfect, but I also dont over obsess.

Being 29 does not save you from having a messed up metabolism. SORRY! I was diagnosed borderline type 2 diabetic at 16 (before it was common). Youre losing a half pound a week which is Healthy. Sure you may want more but your body isnt ready to give yet, and I dont know how over weight you are so a half pound is actually RIGHT. You ARE losing.

And yes it took you 3 years and a pregnancy to get here, why do you expect it to be gone in 2 months?

Agreed.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Looking @ your food diary I see that you are burning A LOT of calories and not eating those calories back. Also, 1200 calories is too low for someone who is obese. Go back & set your goal to lose 1 lb / week instead and keep your NET calories between 1200-1400/day. (Net is Calories in minus exercise calories) Try not to eat carbs at dinner as well.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Options
    Going back a few days, your NET calories are WAY LOW (between 800 - 1000). You're the poster child for starvation mode. Eat more.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

OK starvation mode vs NET cals is still controversial, so I will defend her on this one. The lowest calorie consumption I saw for a full recorded day was 1213, there was a like 250 cal day but Im assuming sh was grossly sick, or didnt record, This is more then likely a case of her body not being ready to let go of the fat yet, its only been 2 months. AND she is tracking a HEALTHY loss of .5lbs per week
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Options
    Looking @ your food diary I see that you are burning A LOT of calories and not eating those calories back. Also, 1200 calories is too low for someone who is obese. Go back & set your goal to lose 1 lb / week instead and keep your NET calories between 1200-1400/day. (Net is Calories in minus exercise calories) Try not to eat carbs at dinner as well.

As long as she is eating properly 1200 is not too low at all for someone who is obese, I consumed 1200 cals a day at 258 lbs, following a regimine by 3 drs, and didnt eat extra the days I worked out. It is DIFFICULT and you tend to feel deprived till you adjust. I opt not to follow something that low because I have slowed my weight loss due to an injury and frankly i like food.

And please dont diss my Drs. One is My uncle and a Leading OBGYN in the country :) and teaches outside of the country in Europe, China & Japan with Johnson & Johnson

**Edit I am not attacking your theory that she needs to eat some extra cals with the amount she excercises, but unless you are a medical professional, you cant even say 1200 NET cals is too low for someone who is Obese**
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Looking at a few days in your food diary, it looks like you are not eating back your exercise calories, and you are working out HARD.

I agree. You actually need to eat more or work out a bit less. You may find you lose faster if you do this.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

okay i'm going to agree with YOU!!!!
    you have to give this stuff time....i looked at your diary....if you are TRULY burning that many calories than you are not eating enough...your deficit is too great....but i dont see how you can burn 1000 calories in one hour at 180ish pounds...i'm 180ish and i have been working out for over 3 years so i know i'm getting fit and my heart is probably in great shape with a great heartrate but i'm lucky on a good day with a great workout (spin) for one hour to burn 550 calories and that is PUSHING MYSELF SUPER HARD.....typically i burn 350-450 cals in an hour depending on the activity and the intensity...anyway, i agree with above posters, you need to pick ONE thing and work on incorporating that change/improvement into your life...this is not a DIET or it shouldnt be....this should be a lifestyle change that you can live with for the REST of your life....i have been working on myself for over 3 years and lost +/-75lbs....i still have 25-35lbs more to go but i know that EVERY single change i have made over the last 3 years are changes i can live with for the rest of my life...i still have chinese on thurs nights with my hubby, but i work out really hard that day so i have the extra calories and i drink a ton of water to flush me out from the sodium....anyway, i guess the point of my response is to encourage you to please please please take a step back and figure out a plan that you can live with and work with each day....make the changes necessary and then move FORWARD at a slow and steady pace so it is permanent...the longer it takes you to get the weight off the more likely you are to keep it off....this has been my experience anyway...good luck with your journey...
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Actually I think your food diary is pretty good! you've got lots of variety, no processed foods, and very rarely over on any of the goals. o well done you!

You're losing weight. Which is great! maybe not as fast as you'd like, but its still heading in the right direction.
    I wouldn't worry too much about eating back all your exercise calories if you're overweight. Maybe reduce your carbs a bit.

But stress will affect things, so if you need a day or 2 off, then take it. Come back strong and refreshed.

Good luck!
  • BrookeEspinosa
    Options
    I am afraid that my hrm is overestimating. I subtract 200-300 calories from my hrm. I am just a little down, I needed to vent. I probably just need to cut back a little on exercise. Thanks everybody for being so helpful.
    I do 30 day shred once a day and twice everyother day(hrm says 400). And taebo everyday, between 30-50 mins(hrm says 700-900).
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Yup. It sucks. I have been in your place so many times over the years it's not funny and I'm determined it's not going to happen again. I'm going to get slammed for this, but my choice this time is to only do cardio until I'm within 20 pounds of goal weight...that's about 85 pounds from now. I've got a significant amount to lose - 110 pounds or so and I know intellectually that when I'm working with weights and gaining muscle, I'm losing fat at the same time. I also know I am impatient and if the scale isn't moving, even though I know rationally it's because it's all evening out, I get frustrated if it goes on for very long and tend to give up.

So...my suggestion is to keep up with the cardio and keep burning fat, but drop the heavy workouts that build muscle, until things get going again...

If you are significantly overweight, this is a lifetime effort, not temporary. Yes. You are going to have to do this for the rest of your life. You've already started, so you might as well keep going. It's just something us big folks have to focus on more than the skinny folks do. They seem to do it naturally. For us it takes effort. Lots of it. Yup. That sucks too. Best to just suck it up and get on with it. One day at a time. The truth is, if you're like me, you're probably thinking about food all the time anyway. Just with less discipline, which, paradoxically, leads to feeling bad about yourself. Stick with it. It's with you for the rest of your life, regardless of whether you deal with it or not. Just think how you'll feel if you hang in there and accept that you need to just make this part of your daily routine.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou: