cardio and lifting experiences

Options
cherriegh
cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
Has it been cardio or heavy lifting that has made you see most weight loss?

I find that my stomach doesn't flatten, thighs stay the same and i don't lose much weight if i only eat at a deficit and not do cardio. Before I use to run, spin and lost weight that way but this time I'm doing strength and little cardio once a week and feel it's slower....

what has been your experiences?

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I hit my deficit mainly through eating less. My cardio is not at a very high level, usually 2 to 3 days a week I'll do cardio for 30 to 90 minutes, but the key is really lifting with a calorie deficit to get rid of initial fat, then you can switch to a bulk and cut system to build muscle.
  • Exegi_Corpus
    Exegi_Corpus Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Both, together, forever...
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Cardio is better for overall weight loss although I like results of lifting more...
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Cardio is better for overall weight loss although I like results of lifting more...

Exactly this
  • moltobella
    moltobella Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Both, together, forever...

Ditto. I run & tabata for cardio, lift weights to tone. When I focus more on one or the other I don't lose inches or weight as much as when I do both.

I run or Tabata about 3 times a week and lift 3-4 times a week depending on my schedule. I consistently lose around 2 lbs a week on average sometimes I lose .5 lbs and the next week I'll lose 3-3.5, sometimes I lose right at 2 but I'm consistently losing and thats all that matters.
  • MollyBradford
    MollyBradford Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Lifting doesn't burn calories like cardio does, so it doesn't burn much fat, BUT lifting is what's going to change you're physique. In my opinion building muscle, then losing fat is the best option. Never neglect weight lifting. Do both. Lift to build muscle. Add cardio to burn extra calories. It takes time. Good luck!
  • cherriegh
    Options
    thank you!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    The scale doesn't move much with lifting, but I have lost crazy inches. The scale basically hasn't moved in a year, but I've lost 4 inches just on my waist!!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Its both because they both do different things. Its not a case of either or if its weight loss you are after.
    Focus on controlling your food deficit first.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I lose weight easier with Cardio.
    I'm starting to do a few light lifting/Kettlebell workouts now, so hopefully i'll start seeing improvement in my stomach and legs.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Experience was:

Calorie deficit for weight loss.

Cardio for fitness, enjoyment and being able to eat more whilst maintaining a suitable calorie deficit.

Weights for strength, body composition and enjoyment.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight (or maintained a lean weight) while doing both extremes, nearly all running and nearly all lifting. When lifting i just have more muscle. One is not really any easier over the other. My current program is mostly strength with some varied amounts and types of cardio to balance out
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Cardio helps me shed pounds. Lifting helps my body look better.

I could jog myself into oblivion and I would still have a stomach that sticks out to the point of looking 5 months pregnant. Lifting is the only thing that has every given me results at body recomposition.

However, lifting does not help my overall fitness level nearly as much (i.e. cardiovascular health) and losing weight by just lifting was entirely too slow for me to stay motivated.

So, I'm also team Both. My goal this time around is to start out with 2 days of jogging, 2 days of lifting, and 3 days off. Eventually I'd like to work that up to 3/3/1, but for now my focus is sustainability.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    cherriegh wrote: »
    Has it been cardio or heavy lifting that has made you see most weight loss?

I find that my stomach doesn't flatten, thighs stay the same and i don't lose much weight if i only eat at a deficit and not do cardio. Before I use to run, spin and lost weight that way but this time I'm doing strength and little cardio once a week and feel it's slower....

what has been your experiences?

Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat. I do cardio to improve my cardiovascular fitness (usually to run in events like tough mudder and ragnar relay) and I do weight lifting to improve my strength and keep my muscle mass in tact.

• gregpithan
    gregpithan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Strength training has been found to increase your metabolic rate for a longer period of time. sometimes 24 to 48 hours. Cardio has a lower metobolic influence over the long run. Think of your muscles as your bodies furnace. The more muscle, more calories burned.

That being said, strength training should be done first to burn off immediate glucose reserves and to break down muscle, which is then built back up in about 48 hours. For maximum weight loss, cardio is performed after your weight training session. After your immediate and reserve glucose are used your body taps into its fat reserves for energy. Oh, dont forget to eat!!
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options

Exactly this

Not this.

If I could only do one thing (aside from eating at a deficit of course) it would be weight training. Working out and adding muscle pays back over the long run much more than cardio. Once you are done with cardio, you stop burning calories. With weight training, you continue to burn calories after your workout as your body repairs muscle tissue, and as you add more muscle you increase your BRM since your body has to burn calories to maintain your muscle.

Adding a short cardio finisher (HIIT treadmill, bike, sprinting, etc.) to the end of a weight workout can be very beneficial, and depending on how often you workout, adding a pure cardio day won't hurt either - so long as you give your body time to recover properly from the strength training.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Experience was:

Calorie deficit for weight loss.

Cardio for fitness, enjoyment and being able to eat more whilst maintaining a suitable calorie deficit.

Weights for strength, body composition and enjoyment.

Perfectly stated.
  • cherriegh
    Options
    Thank you for your input, I'll weight train Mon,Wed and Fri and I'll do cardio on tuesdays and Thursdays rest weekends or walk my daughter...