21 day fix below calories/breastfeeding

Options
traceleann
traceleann Posts: 60 Member
I'm starting the 21 day fix nutrition plan tomorrow. I used the containers to plan out the food, but I also measured it with the scale to see exactly how many calories it would be. I'm breastfeeding so I don't want to be below 1600 calories. I'm following the 1500-1800 calorie plan but after filling all the containers I'm only at 1461 calories for the day. And I'm 16g over my recommended 80g of protein. Any suggestions what macro I should add to increase my calories up to my goal of 1600?

Replies

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Are u exclusively breastfeeding? If so 1600 calories plus exercise is far too low. Your breast milk may decrease but most likely your energy level will go first and you'll crash.
  • HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    A sudden drop in calories can have a really bad effect on your milk supply - you would probably be better trying to drop by about 100 calories or so then maintaining that for a few days and then try another drop etc. If you are exclusively breastfeeding you need around 500 cals a day to allow for that although it will depend on the age of the baby.

If you are exercising and breastfeeding I also wouldn't worry about 96g of protein.

This is a useful site for all thinks breastfeeding

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-weightloss/

• SatiaRenee
    SatiaRenee Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    There's a great group here on MFP of people using 21 Day Fix: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/103806-21-day-fixers I would definitely encourage you to check it out because you may have more questions as you continue with the program.

With that said, what are your doctor's recommendations for you regarding your calories? The general rule of thumb is to consume 500 calories more than you normally would. So for me, I would have to go up 2 brackets. You'll definitely have a well balanced and well rounded diet if you are able to eat all of your containers but you need to make sure you're getting enough calories and the best resource for that information is a healthcare professional. But @janjunie is right about 1600 calories being too few. Given that 1200 is a bare minimum for someone who is leading a sedentary life (not exercising at all!), 1600 isn't even close to what you would need for nursing and providing yourself and your child the best nutrition possible.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    traceleann wrote: »
    I'm starting the 21 day fix nutrition plan tomorrow. I used the containers to plan out the food, but I also measured it with the scale to see exactly how many calories it would be. I'm breastfeeding so I don't want to be below 1600 calories. I'm following the 1500-1800 calorie plan but after filling all the containers I'm only at 1461 calories for the day. And I'm 16g over my recommended 80g of protein. Any suggestions what macro I should add to increase my calories up to my goal of 1600?

1400 calories plus breastfeeding plus exercising, it does not sound like a very clever plan, it sounds like a desperate plan, sorry.
  • traceleann
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've been steadily decreasing calories and I eat more when I'm hungry. I haven't started eating a deficit yet and I haven't started this plan yet. I'm not depriving my baby. I'm exclusively breastfeeding and this is my second baby. What I meant to say was 1600 is my baseline and I'm going to supplement the breastfeeding calories after that. Sorry that original post was confusing. I've changed my goal from lose to maintain so I don't have to add back the breastfeeding deficit and it will just already be included in my daily intake. My diary from the previous weeks isn't accurate. I haven't been logging everything. I've just been trying to get back in the habit of logging and measuring because it's been so long since I've done it. Basically my question is, after the 1600 what would be good macros to try to supplement with? Is it even possible to get too much protein while exclusively breastfeeding?
  • traceleann
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    traceleann wrote: »

1400 calories plus breastfeeding plus exercising, it does not sound like a very clever plan, it sounds like a desperate plan, sorry.

If you'll read my post you'll see that I'm wanting to eat more calories. I'm not on a desperate plan. I was asking what would be the best way to increase my calories. I wanted to see where the calories would be if I did the containers because it's a pretty convenient system for a mom with 2 kids. If I need to increase to the next calorie level for the plan I'm fine with that. But I was just looking for suggestions.
  • traceleann
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Lol right now I think it's safe to say my 13 lb 7 week old isn't being deprived of anything
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about having too much protein. I'm on 1400-1600 calories, and I have around 100g of protein. Since you are breastfeeding, though, I'd suggest adding some extra carbs. And then just look for alternatives to what you've filled your containers with. Maybe not get the fat free peanut butter, for example. Or eat the whole egg, instead of egg whites. Things like that. :) Good luck!
  • SatiaRenee
    SatiaRenee Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Autumn answers your question right here: http://619healthandfitness.com/21-day-fix-q/ Again, if you aren't sure about things, join the MFP group. There are many people there who find and share things like this in the group.
  • emmoen
    emmoen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I would add a small cup of oatmeal... Not high in calories but have shown to help with milk production... Or search location cookies and have one for desert!
  • meganbriann
    meganbriann Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm also a nursing mom about to start the plan and I'd get your extra calories from carbs, protein, and fats. Maybe from more proteins and fats than carbs. More fruits might increase blood sugar higher than you want. How's it going so far?
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    i don't think people realize that women from third world countries are able to nurse their babies with minimal food....It's not the baby that suffers, they get perfectly made milk pretty much no matter what we eat, it's the mom's that suffer if their diet is bad.

Great job on nursing OP. As long as your supply is established which it seems like it is you shouldn't have any issues dieting with that amount of calories....which isn't even the question that you asked.

I felt like i needed a lot of fat in my early days of nursing. I wanted all of the guacamole!!!!!!