Two Purchases I need help with.... PLEASE.

Options
First purchase that is needed is a new scale.... mine is a little old and won't give you any info. past the decimal. It reads only whole numbers. The problem isn't really that. Today when I stepped on I lost 9lbs overnight. I WISH. Put new batteries in and moved it from it's original location and I lost a total of 22lbs. in a matter of minutes. As much as I would love for that to be the case I know better. So, this weekend I will be looking for a new scale. Just wondered since most people on here have one perhaps I could get someone to suggest one to me or even steer me away from one that isn't up to par.

Second, I am a heart patient had a stent put in Sept. 09 and I really think with all the exercise I do I really need to invest in one of those fancy watches with the strap that will read the pulse more accurately. Any suggestions again on a great one or even those to steer clear of would be helpful.

I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thanks.!!!!

Replies

• missymyers56
    Options
    Hello! Due to your heart issue, I would recommend just a regular digital scale. Digital is the way to go as it is more accurate. I have one that measures body fat and water percentage that I love, but it has to send a signal through your body to get these reading which is not to be used by pregnant women or those with heart implants.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I have the cheapest analog scale I could find at walmart for $10 so I can't help you in the scale department. I'd love one of the Biggest Loser ones that reads your body fat %!

As for the heart rate monitor, Polar is your best bet. They're the best in the biz. Mio is crap, all those no-name ones are crap. They don't read your heart rate as well, especially if they don't have a chest strap. I have a Polar F6 and it works great. It has a watch that tells me when I'm in a particular heart rate zone (I can set it according to my work out level, low, moderate, or high intensity), calorie burn, time of my work out, and keeps track of my work outs for up to 7 days and on Sunday will show me a summary of how many calories I burned that week and how many workouts I did.
  • phog007
    phog007 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My wife and I just bought Polar FT4's for HRM and love them.
  • abrown4348
    abrown4348 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I can help on both! Weight Watchers has a scale that you can buy at Target, WalMart or Costco for about $50 that is a digital scale and is awesome. I can step on and off, move the scale to a different location and always get the same reading.

Also, I JUST bought a new HR Monitor. New Balance for Women. It was $69.99 at Target. It was easy to program and seems to work really well. It gives your heartrate, notifies you when you are within your target heartrate range, tracks your calories burned and stores up to 9 workouts so you can track progress.

So, the items aren't cheap, but they're not super expensive either, and both well worth the money!

Hope that helps!
  • Sunjenk
    Sunjenk Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I know theres lots of fancy scales, but I purchased a 20 dollar scale from walmart, its black and from the brand heart meter, and I really like it.

I dont know if its 'allowed' but my sister and I did it when we went, open the scales at the store and TRY them, some of them honestly feel like they will crush under me (even if they are up to 250-350)

The other 20 dollar one I was going to get literally felt like it was going to crumble beneath me, so I am glad we opened them and tried them :)

However, if I would have saved a bit more for it, I would've really liked one of those neat scales with body fat percentages and such for cool features, they even make scales that are digital and have wifi or something and they auto update websites (some websites, or something)

But my 20 dollar scale works just fine for me :)
  • Cnava01
    Cnava01 Posts: 37
    Options
    Agreed on the above! I love my polar FT4!! I thought I wasn't going to like the chest strap but I left the gym with it on the other day. That really shows you that you can barely feel it.

As for the scale I have a cheapy too so I would say just to at least stick with the digital.
  • jaimejean478
    jaimejean478 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I need a new scale too! I'm tempted to go with an easy no-nonsense analog one. I find it hard to think those would fluctuate as much as the digital ones. (Mine can flux 5 lbs in 3 consecutive weigh-ins in a row!!)

I have a polar FT4 monitor, paid $75ish for it, and LOVE it! I've never heard a bad thing about Polar HRMs! You'll get so much more out of your workouts too by not relying on MFPs janky calorie estimates. :)
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    First purchase that is needed is a new scale.... mine is a little old and won't give you any info. past the decimal. It reads only whole numbers. The problem isn't really that. Today when I stepped on I lost 9lbs overnight. I WISH. Put new batteries in and moved it from it's original location and I lost a total of 22lbs. in a matter of minutes. As much as I would love for that to be the case I know better. So, this weekend I will be looking for a new scale. Just wondered since most people on here have one perhaps I could get someone to suggest one to me or even steer me away from one that isn't up to par.
    I've had several digital scales over the years, but they always seem tricky and hard to use. I recently on someone recommendation got one of these
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032TNPOE
    Eatsmart Precision Plus Digital Bathroom Scale with Ultra Wide Platform and Step-on Technology, 440-Pounds

I love it. It works fast, and is very accurate (I tested with hand weights). Also, the display is back lit and big, so it's easy to see. Take a look at the reviews on Amazon as well. Also, how can you beat that for $37?
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have the least fancy digital scale that walmart had. Its a WW one and it works wonderfully.
  • 4jenniferk
    4jenniferk Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I finally splurged and got myself a Polar FT7 and I've only used it twice... last night for cardio and today at lunch for strength training but I already LOVE it. Just wanted to thank everyone on here who suggested it.

I didn't get a scale yet but at this point I belong to two seperate gyms and they both have them so I can always use one of them.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    My wife and I just bought Polar FT4's for HRM and love them.

You should check with your doctor on this. I think it would be safe with a stent, because it is only plastic, but with a pacemaker and other heart implants that control arythmia (think I spelled correctly) you want to be sure.

I do have an IUD and I have a digital scale the measures body fat percent and it did say not to use if you have implants. I still use it, but I have yet to get a body fat reading off it.