Healthy comfort food for a comfort eater

Options
Hi
I used to be someone who starved their feeling, well more and more recently if i have a bad day i find my self craving bad food, (always warm) things like chips.

Sat at my desk thinking about what to have for lunch, i have salad but i really crave some comfort food.

Does anybody have any good ideas for healthy comforts foods

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    What is your idea of comfort food? If you can post some things you like, it will be easier to get suggestions.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com - I love this blog, 'real' food lightened up. Wonderful comfort food, and so much variety! Have a look and see if any of your favs are there.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Fast Food? Innocent vegetable pots over a bed of watercress, spinach and rocket .. can recommend the lentil samba and thai coconut curry

Home-prepared food? yes skinnytaste - recommend the chicken cacciatore - also veg stews and risottos

Whatever your food craving I bet you can work it into your defecit .. lessen the cravings and you lessen the hold food has over you
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Anything works - I had a cheeseburger the other day for 400 calories (Iceland quarterpounder, 10g cheddar, salad, ketchup, white burger bun) .. I also had chips for 200 so that's 600 calories for a comfort food quick meal .. easily manageable
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Soup for me. Every time. Soup.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I had pasta with red sauce and bread last night and ice-cream for desert and I was still 500 calories under my goal, which was by design due to my saturday blow out….

yes, you have comfort food and work it into your deficit….I would suggest pre logging your day with the foods you want and see how it looks and then adjust as needed...
  • cdpm
    cdpm Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    If you're in the UK you might have heard of the hairy dieters cookbook. (If you're not from UK then hairy dieters will sound crazy!)
    I love this book, always comfort foods in there that I try and have a few times a week, hearty stews, chicken and chips, spaghetti bolognese to name a few.
    The dishes also taste like they are meant to, not what I have experienced before when cooking healthy comfort foods!
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I just had a glorious lunch which felt like comfort food but was pretty healthy. Can of chickpeas, harissa paste, tomato puree, onion, garlic, lemon juice and black pepper. All chucked in a frying pan with a tablespoon of olive oil, under 500 calories but lovely, warm and filling. I imagine you could make it in advance, pop it in some tupperware and microwave it when lunchtime rolls around.

I agree with the suggestion of the Innocent veggie pots, also Tesco's City Kitchen range has some pretty good stuff which tastes great but isn't too high in calories.
  • Sued0nim
    edited May 2015
    Options
    and Marks & Spencer's Taste of Vietnam Chicken Noodle Bun Cha is am-ay-zing for under 400 calories
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I usually just eat my salad... And end up being satisfied :)
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I usually just eat my salad... And end up being satisfied :)

Salad's nice

Especially made with capers, olives, olive oil, balsamic, green beans, avocado, new potatoes, egg and a freshly panfried tuna steak...omm
  • thirzamorris
    thirzamorris Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the reply guys, i will defiantly try that www.skinnytaste.com, i just really wanted to walk into town and buy chip! or greg's just something warm that you can buy on the run, i did eat my salad and had some chicken satay sticks and an apple but i just wanted some ideas for the next time i get a craving warm unheathy food on my lunch break!
  • PrimroseFlower
    PrimroseFlower Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    katem999 wrote: »
    Yes. I'm a soupaholic! I make my own and the cans are good too. Plus who can resist ramen with an egg! And how about oatmeal? You can make this healthy by adding protien, fruit, ect. <3
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the reply guys, i will defiantly try that www.skinnytaste.com, i just really wanted to walk into town and buy chip! or greg's just something warm that you can buy on the run, i did eat my salad and had some chicken satay sticks and an apple but i just wanted some ideas for the next time i get a craving warm unheathy food on my lunch break!

Can you get hot lunch from home? Pretty much anything you would normal buy from a fast food place could be made at home, and you can limt the calories a lot by reducing fat, using lean meats, grilling instead of frying, having a smaller portion etc. If you really want something you cannot prepare yourself, or just want it a specific way from your favourite place, you can always chose a small portion and reduce your other meals calories accordingly, or eat e.g. half of the fries to fit them in your calorie goals.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    katem999 wrote: »
    Me too. Love soup!