Need suggestions on at home workouts

Options
Hey there! So I am very new to working out and I currently do not have a gym membership. Does anyone have suggestions on at home workout DVD plans? I know Insanity is huge right now, but I'm not I would be able to keep up with it. Thanks in advance for any tips or advice!

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels has a bunch of stuff on YouTube
  • yhwhsesther
    yhwhsesther Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I dont know about dvd plans... yet the app workout trainer is awesome and free there is a paid part if you like exgra features but not neccessary and you can even make your own routines.
  • mcltre36
    mcltre36 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You could always try T25 (basically 25 min insanity) and start by following the person doing the modified/low impact version. Once you get comfortable with the moves and get stronger, you can slowly start doing some of the non-modified versions.....best part is that its done in 25 minutes! I personally like p90x3 (30 minutes p90x version) due to the variety of exercises...keeps me interested.
  • jetortola
    jetortola Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    FitnessBlender.com --- 1000's of free workout videos. You can find anything you are looking for, for any amount of time, with different equipment options --- lots of great strength training, cardio (high or low impact), yoga/stretching -- you name it. Lots of focus on form, no loud music, calming backdrops... I don't think I'll every go back to other workout dvds.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I agree with using YouTube videos. Another option is basic calisthenics similar to a boot camp workout... pushups, crunches, leg raises, jumping jacks, burpees, chair dips etc...there are several videos and workout schedules online.
  • Mizz_Mo
    Mizz_Mo Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have been LOVING Barre3 online workouts. Low to no impact - but huge changes in my body over the past three week since I have been doing them!! Best part - you don't need lots of equipment, much space - or TIME. They offer 10, 30, 40 and 60 minute workouts.

Here is the link to the free trial so you can if it's for you without shelling out any dough: http://www.barre3.com/onlinefreetrial/

If a charge does so up (it did for me) just email them at onlinesupport@barre3.com and they will reverse it right away. Otherwise, it's $15 per month.

Good luck with your journey and have a great day!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If you are not sure what you like to do - YouTube is your best bet to get started. Test drive a few workouts and see what kinds of thing you like. This will make you more consistent.

If you want to buy DVDs a couple of sites have tons of information and video clips: collagevideo.com and totalfitness dvds.com

I like DVDs as I can use chapters, premixes, music only....more customizable.
  • bcruz313
    bcruz313 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I love doing dvds at home. I have several but one of my favs is 21 day fix. 7 different videos so it doesn't het boring and you work different muscle groups. Both the fix and fix extreme versions have modifiers.

Also pinterest has a lot of different routines so you can find one you like.

Zumba is also fun a great calorie torcher. There are youtube videos as well but I think zumba.com will help you find classes near you and around here they are $5 class.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    For the free options, I like Fitness Blender. Lots of good videos, and you can filter by time, difficulty, equipment needed, etc.
    For the pay options, it depends. If you want short, sweet, but challenging, go Focus T25, P90X3, or Insanity MAX (I've ordered them by degree of difficulty in my opinion, easiest to hardest).
    If you're okay with lengthier strength training, go P90X.......you can try Body Beast, I'm just not a fan of it.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I agree, check out Youtube's many offerings and see which ones you like - FitnessBlender, Jessica Smith, BodyFitbyAmy, and others have lots of videos and some also have plans to follow. Or, if you find a bunch of videos you want to try, just make your own plan with a good mix of cardio and resistance training (unless your only goal is strength then leave out the cardio) :)
  • Jillian130
    Jillian130 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Fitnessblender.com and try Blogilates on Youtube. Look under the "playlists" on blogilates and the workouts for the day are all pre-selected and good to go!
  • cgoodrich3294
    cgoodrich3294 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your input! I didn't know there were so many free resources out there. I had no idea where to start, so this will be extremely helpful. Do you all have a workout plan you follow? For example, do you work lower body one day, upper body another? If it's not completely obvious yet, I'm a super newbie!
  • jetortola
    jetortola Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your input! I didn't know there were so many free resources out there. I had no idea where to start, so this will be extremely helpful. Do you all have a workout plan you follow? For example, do you work lower body one day, upper body another? If it's not completely obvious yet, I'm a super newbie!

I purchased a plan from FitnessBlender.com... yes, the workouts themselves are free, but you still have to plan them out -- or buy a plan for $9.99 and they plan it out for you for 8 weeks!

• Oakstaff777
    Oakstaff777 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try any no equipment/ body weight workout from the web, most will do the trick. I've lost 6 pounds following tae bo basic every other day ( works all areas) walking other days and watching nutrition and calories, good luck :)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

I try to keep just a mix of cardio and resistance, but if I do a hard lower body workout one day I will try to go light on that the next day. But generally I decide between 2nd and 3rd snooze lol. It gets easier when you have a few 'staple' workouts that you can go between, so I would say just find one that looks good and get started :)
  • YamilleM
    YamilleM Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I recommend the NikeTraining app (totally free). You can do most of the exercises in your home and it's super convenient. you can select individual exercises or even follow a specific plan based upon your goals. The video guidance and step by step photos are super helpful. It's great for me. I use my phone most times.
    Best of luck (and by luck I mean you'll get out of it what you put in) :-)
  • DedRepublic
    DedRepublic Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hey there! So I am very new to working out and I currently do not have a gym membership. Does anyone have suggestions on at home workout DVD plans?

P90x worked for me.
  • JTB51
    JTB51 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I highly suggest P90. 30 minute workouts which is great for starters, and there is always someone showing you how to modify to be easier or harder.
    Or check out beachbody.com for their workouts on demand, they have a 30 day free trial, so you can try Insanity, P90X, Turbofire and you can find the program they best suits your interests.
  • Hannahhime
    Hannahhime Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If you have a Wii, I would recommend buying some of the Just Dance games if you like to dance! I'm always sweating after playing a few of the faster songs and it's a really good workout while also being heaps of fun!