Fat Free or Full Fat

Options

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,163 Member
    Options
    flrancho wrote: »
    Just curious what everyone does when it comes to dairy products and trying to loose weight. Do you get full fat cheese, or buy fat free or reduced fat? Why?

I've heard conflicting information on which one is actually better for you.

Whatever one I can fit in my calories.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I go for low-fat in yogurt, milk and quark. I can eat more and they're good for my protein levels. There's one German cheese that is naturally very low-fat and I love it. Other than that I've made cheese a special treat and only have some once a week or so and then I go for full fat, no matter if it's cheddar or gorgonzola or whatever.
  • Toadstool_
    Toadstool_ Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Low fat. I use skimmed milk because I don't like the taste of semi or whole, low fat yoghurt and lighter than lighter Mayo because I can't taste the difference between that and the full fat kind. I don't often use other dairy, but if I do its lighter mature cheddar or lighter halloumi (again, can't tell the difference so I go for less calories) but for feta I go full fat because there's a big price difference.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I tend to go 0% on greek yogurt and 1% on cottage cheese, because I love to eat high volume and I wanted to cut calories. I do find that my fat is low so I may reconsider this.
  • runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I don't like cow's milk, so I drink light unsweetened almond milk. I do eat full fat cheddar, but part skim mozzarella, and vegan American. I eat Silk soy yogurt. Go figure! Just eat what u like.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Since I eat low carb, I go for the full fat dairy products. They taste so much better IMO.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    It's all personal preference and whatever you find most enjoyable and keeps you full!

For me, personally, my rule of thumb is this:
    Yogurt: Fat free - Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt (80 calories per container)
    Cheese: Low fat (Shredded I opt for added calcium, blocks or slices I opt for low sodium)
    Milk: Either 2% or whole, but if nonfat is the only option I'll take that, too. Really not too picky here since I used to drink nothing but almond milk just about (recently switched to soy milk since it has better ratios in regards to protein and some fat)
    Ice Cream: Low fat or frozen yogurt

The reasoning behind this is I find fat free yogurt with a lot of protein super filling and easy to fit into my calories. I top my salads often with cheese, and since I don't use salad dressing I prefer to use cheese with a little bit of fat and other higher fat toppings (such as hummus or hemp hearts) so my body absorbs the fat-soluble vitamins in the vegetables. For the milk, I'm not really picky, it's mainly about the calories, what's available in my house at the time, and whether I'm steaming it for a latte or just adding it to a protein shake. The ice cream I look for the lowest calorie thing possible because I'm not eating the ice cream for nutrition, I'm eating it because I want something sweet and I want as much of this sweet goodness as possible because I'm ravenous with it.

:)
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I love Cheese, but it has to be full fat.
    Low Fat Cheese always tastes strange to me! :/
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I avoid fat free most of the time. I drink 2% or whole milk. I eat 4% large curd cottage cheese. With yogurt, I prefer Noosa, which is full fat. If I can't get Noosa (it's not sold in my town) I get 2% Fage or another reduced fat variety. But not fat free.

I don't really eat regular cheese too often but if I do, it is full fat.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Gave up milk in favor of unsweetened almond or cashew milk, but I do like fat free half and half for my coffee. Gave up the full fat version and find this just as good.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Full fat cheddar and I grate it and keep it in Tupperware ...extra mature and a little goes a long way

0% Greek yogurt cos higher protein

1% milk cos it's my favourite

Same on all counts.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Full fat cheese, low fat yogurt, no milk. I actually prefer the taste of 2%/skim milk yogurt, so less of a calorie concern thing.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Full fat some fat is not bad for you. Fat helps to make food taste better as well as keep you full longer.
  • AdamImadA
    AdamImadA Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Fat free water every time
  • dothefreddy
    dothefreddy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Full fat on all dairy. I'd rather have full fat and feel satiated and eat a little less of it than go fat free, which often times has more sugar.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I eat fat free dairy when I can. Less calories and it tastes just the same to me, especially the lower fat milks but for the most part, if something i'm making calls for milk I'll use unsweetened almond milk. Also just as good.
  • knt217
    knt217 Posts: 115 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I don't drink milk, but I use half and half in my coffee. I use 2% cheddar and light baby bell wedges bc I find the taste to be similar. 0% Greek yogurt, and either 2% or 4% cottage cheese. Otherwise I use full fat cheese if I'm eating it. The only time I've use fat free cheese was when I made pizza. I mixed it with the regular part skim mozzarella just to have a little more coverage with fewer calories. With it mixed I couldn't notice a taste difference, but I can on its own, and wouldn't enjoy it that way at all.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Full fat dairy - milk, yogurt, cheese - for taste, texture, satiety, fat soluble vitamin absorption, and overall happiness.
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Reduced fat cheese, 0% Greek yogurt and I drink light almond and soy milk.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    flrancho wrote: »
    Just curious what everyone does when it comes to dairy products and trying to loose weight. Do you get full fat cheese, or buy fat free or reduced fat? Why?

I've heard conflicting information on which one is actually better for you.

Honestly, I buy based on what tastes better to me lol. For example: I only like fat free greek yogurt bacause of taste, but prefer full fat cheese.