Fitbit Charge HR

Options
patmid
patmid Posts: 45 Member
i have been looking at the Fitbit Charge HR and was wondering if anyone has some advice whether a good purchase or not? Any help would be much appreciated.

Replies

• Rytas01
    Rytas01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have it and love it;) it looks accurate, easy to take care. It is good that it tracks not only steps, but also heart rate and sleep;) I would buy it again.
  • mfermo
    mfermo Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have one as well and like it, I look heart rate graphs after cycling. I suggest however not to eat back calories. The only thing I hate of all these devices is that each comes with different plug...so one for the phone, another for fitbit, another cable for garmin.
  • Rimfakse
    Rimfakse Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love mine. Tracking sleep is fun, and tracking heart rate is pretty important if you want more accurate numbers when it comes to how many calories you burn - and how much you may eat.
  • LiveLoveRunFar
    LiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I really like mine. It gives you calories burned throughout the day on charts, charts your exercise and graphs it by heart rate zone ie: fat burning, cardio, and peak. Synchs easily with mfp. It keeps me motivated to move each day!
  • patmid
    Options
    Thank you so much Rytas01, mfermo, Rimfakse, albalegume for such positive feedback. That's great. I will leave it for a few more days just to see if anyone has anything negative to add, but it looks as if I have found the right one.
  • cheezels83
    cheezels83 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have been waiting and waiting for the plum fitbit charge hr to come out here. They say middle of May, but it is still not in the shops. ARGH!!!! I check most days :-) I keep checking other ones and I always come back to this one too.
  • ColleenAtherton
    ColleenAtherton Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hope I'm not hijacking, but would any of you recommend the Charge HR for an "average" person? Meaning I'm not a cyclist or runner or the like. I'm just trying to be more active and lose weight. I go to the gym and do cardio and lift.

I have a One, which I like and suits my needs, but I am an information junky and curious about the heartrate aspect of the Charge HR.
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I ordered the FitBit Charge HR in plum a couple weeks ago and got a notification yesterday that it was shipping out, so I'm super excited to try it out. I've heard nothing but good things! :)
  • CockneyLady2014
    CockneyLady2014 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I purchased a Xiaomi Mi Band (Not heard of much in UK) and it cost me around £16. I wanted to see if I would find it useful before buying something that cost a fortune. A lot of the bands that I checked out only seemed good if you did a lot of walking and running. Also some reported that they stopped working if you sat still. Mine is pretty basic but for the cost I am not unhappy.
  • nogutsnoglory7
    nogutsnoglory7 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hope I'm not hijacking, but would any of you recommend the Charge HR for an "average" person? Meaning I'm not a cyclist or runner or the like. I'm just trying to be more active and lose weight. I go to the gym and do cardio and lift.

I have a One, which I like and suits my needs, but I am an information junky and curious about the heartrate aspect of the Charge HR.

Yes yes yes! ! I do the same and it's helped set goals. Buy this#!
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    eileensofianmushinfine Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm getting one for mother's day and can't wait!!!! Since losing my vivofit, I made the decision to replace it with an upgraded activity band. I'm looking forward to getting back to logging my step count and this time being able to track my heart rate during cardio sessions.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    http://www.cnet.com/news/how-accurate-are-wristband-heart-rate-monitors/
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/02/fitbit-charge-review.html

The HR on wrist mounted activity trackers is inaccurate during exercise which is the only time the HR function might possibly matter.
  • CockneyLady2014
    CockneyLady2014 Posts: 199 Member
    Options

The HR on wrist mounted activity trackers is inaccurate during exercise which is the only time the HR function might possibly matter.

Thank you for posting this. It has saved me buying a more expensive band because it was HR monitor that I need. I currently use a body band and watch. I have a cheap wristband for activity.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    patmid wrote: »
    i have been looking at the Fitbit Charge HR and was wondering if anyone has some advice whether a good purchase or not? Any help would be much appreciated.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

I lost the weight & have maintained for ten months using a Fitbit Flex—which doesn't even have a heart rate monitor. So my Fitbit burn is 100% accurate.

Buy a Fitbit at a store near you, keep the receipt, and return it if you don't like it.
  • patmid
    Options

Many thanks for this, I found the info really interesting especially the dcrainmaker review.
  • patmid
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    patmid wrote: »

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

I lost the weight & have maintained for ten months using a Fitbit Flex—which doesn't even have a heart rate monitor. So my Fitbit burn is 100% accurate.

Buy a Fitbit at a store near you, keep the receipt, and return it if you don't like it.

Congratulations on your achievement, maintaining for ten months, absolutely brilliant. Thank you for the link as well, this will be invaluable.
  • moltobella
    moltobella Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love mine and find that it's accurate most of the time. During my workouts Ive wore my Charge HR and Chest strap and they were within 10 calories of each other.
  • patmid
    Options
    moltobella wrote: »
    I love mine and find that it's accurate most of the time. During my workouts Ive wore my Charge HR and Chest strap and they were within 10 calories of each other.

This is good to know, because there have been a few reviews who say the HR isn't very accurate, I was going to wear my chest strap as well. At least that way there is no doubt. I will wear it for a few sessions to check.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I never used a chest strap HR, so I can't speak to that.

However, when I am active, and using my Fitbit, AND logging my food accurately, I lose weight while keeping in the deficit goals of my fitbit. When I do not do all the things, I do not lose weight (as I am not doing the work).

As for the device itself, I like it a lot. I like that it is a watch, and that it has an alarm system, so my phone isn't waking up my boyfriend when he doesn't need to get up. It is not waterproof, but I have accidentally dunked mine on several occasions and it is still ticking away (knock on wood!). I like that I can get a good estimate of my sleep, or at least my resting time. I also like that it inspires me to walk more, to climb more stairs, and it tracks my workouts at a press of a button. I don't have to do any logging, etc. I like the dashboard, it's just so easy to read and interpret. I almost always consult my fitbit before deciding whether I'm having a snack that night or not! :)
  • FishyK
    FishyK Posts: 147 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I am an average person, I usually walk between 10,000-15,000 steps per day, and the Charge HR factors in my heartbeat. So I get more of a calorie burn from an uphill or vigorous walk than a meander. Lifting doesn't burn many calories (but the muscle tissue does), and doesn't elevate heart rate much but the Charge HR will take note of it -- or you can enter the lifting as an exercise in the Fitbit app. I like checking to see my peak cardio for an exercise, its duration, and I love seeing my resting heart rate decline over time. That was great during a recent plateau, because I could see my heart health improving even if the scale was stuck.