Could use some motivation

Options
This past year has been pretty horrible. I lost my mother in April of 2014 and then I lost my father April of this year. It's been really hard. I just started back trying to do better since I hit my highest weight. I have since lost 3 pounds and plan on keeping it going. But during this process I realized I am an emotional eater. When I'm bored or sad I turn to snacks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Oh geez, I'm so sorry to hear about your parents, my condolences.

I was (and still am to a certain extent) an emotional eater. What helped me to start getting through that was to journal. Any time I found myself in the kitchen for reasons other than actual hunger, I'd sit my butt down and just write it out. Having a non-food outlet for my emotions was key!

Even if you're not a writer, finding a non-food way to release your emotions is essential. Talk to a professional or a trusted friend, go for a walk or exercise (exercise is seriously the most AMAZING stress-reliever and is now one of my go-to ways to deal with my emotions). Engage in a hobby that allows you to empty your noggin and if you don't have one, start to flirt with a few different hobbies like art or music that are traditionally therapeutic.

Aside from that CONGRATS on that 3lb loss! That's AWESOME!

Feel free to friend me and we can chat further! :)