Knee Problem!

Options
Okay so I just got done working out....a hour of cardio (mix between running and walking...did 5 miles), strength training, and abs....I have always had a little trouble with my left knee (non dominate) I have no cartilage in my knee but it has never really bugged me. I have been an athlete all my life and am still playing volleyball in college. My insurance is not so good right now so I do not want to go to a doctor unless I know I need to. My knee tends to buckle alot however it has always done that. Does anyone else face this problem...have you been to the doctor? Any helpful advice...I honestly cannot afford a doctors appointment right now....so i am hoping for different advice than go see a doctor....I will be seeing my trainer at school when pre-season starts up, however, that is 3 months away. Thanks :]

Replies

• NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I wear a knee brace on my left (non-dominant) knee when I jog...and I take glucosamine, chondroitin and msm
  • rockstariana
    rockstariana Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with wearing a knee brace/support when you work out. Also, take ibuprofen right before you work out, and then once again four hours later. Do this physical therapy exercise to strengthen the muscles around your knee: Sit on the floor with your legs straight out in front of you. Completely tense all the muscles around your knee, hold for 5 full seconds. Release. Do 10 - 20 times every other day. It takes a few weeks to notice a difference. I know this because I had knee problems years ago, and that was the exercise they gave me. They said knees are poorly designed, and stregthening the muscles around really helps.
  • hllamaster
    hllamaster Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    thats how it started for me..get .knee brace and hit lots leg nothing heavy...build up muscle around knee...late 40's had knee replacement. but all I did before that helped
  • butterflykisses9
    Options
    Thanks!!! I have never worn a knee brace....but maybe I will invest in one...i have see the less expensive cloth ones....do those work or do you think I will need a more advanced one?
  • staysee34
    staysee34 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have a knee injury that started with a complete MCL tear in high school 10 years ago. I keep re-injuring it and now have 2 tears in my meniscus. They just tell me to take ibuprofen, which I won't do because it's bad on the stomach and other organs. It buckles and pops and causes me a lot of pain. I haven't been able to run in 10 years. I wear a brace on it most of the time, which helps make it almost tolerable. In my opinion, what you see is what you get with knee braces. The ones I have the best luck with have good medial and lateral support and if you're gonna get one from Walmart or somewhere, it'll run you around $20-$30. Good luck to you!