is eating 1900 cal a day and burning 1000 in the gym healthy

Options

Replies

• ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    None of us know exactly what the OP is doing for sure. Hopefully they'll come back and clarify...

Yes, i agree with this ^^.
  • Becky_charles29
    Becky_charles29 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I can burn 1,000 calories in just under 2 hours of running - but I don't do that every day! My "epic days" of a 45 min run, PT session and 20 mins on the stepper normally come in at 800.

I'm 5'4" and 145lbs so it takes a lot to burn calories! I get these from my HRM rather than any online system. These still are not 100% accurate but close enough for me
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    I recently got a heart rate monitor. What I learned: MFP numbers are not as off for most activity as people say IF you select the appropriate intensity level. The machines at the gym are way off.

That's why I think they tend to be more off for something like elliptical (or circuit training classes), where the numbers assume high intensity, but a huge range is possible--and especially when you first start it can feel like high intensity when it's not. Running tends to be easier to judge real intensity, IME (except right when you first start running), and when I've used the HRM (sadly, I hate the feeling of the chest strap oh so much) it's lined up with the Runkeeper estimate pretty well.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    debrag12 wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Why 1000 calories burn in gym seems so strange to all of you?
    I burn 1000-1500 calories per day in cycling according my polar rc3

It's not strange. It just takes a long time to achieve it. Most people don't have that kind of time to spend working out.

For example, I'm 5'2 and 20 lbs over weight. It takes me over 3 hours of low grade hiking to hit 900 calories burned, and that's on a good day.

The average person doesn't have 3 hours to dedicate to exercise... every single day.

I can burn 1000 calories a day with the amount of walking around i have to do, to and from work and generally around. In fact, i burn that five days a week! It's not impossible :)

that would be your everyday burn not 1000 from exercise.

Nope, that is from exercise I can assure you-I wear a fitbit and it is pretty accurate. I really do do A LOT of walking around!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    SuggaD wrote: »
    I recently got a heart rate monitor. What I learned: MFP numbers are not as off for most activity as people say IF you select the appropriate intensity level. The machines at the gym are way off.

I vaguely remember some posts a few months back where we were bouncing around the possibility that MFP adjusted their calories. We thought it was a gross vs. net burn thing from what I recall...

I don't recall that specific discussion, but that's interesting. I do think part of the perceived inaccuracy is that most of the burns (HRM and MFP) are gross, not net, which means that they tend to be reasonably accurate for shorter sessions and likely overestimate more the more your activity is long and lower intensity.

This is why I tend to accept the burn from a 6 mile or shorter run as a decent estimate (I round down a bit, or did when I was logging exercise), but would cut a 12 mile run more (especially for a long slow training run), and cut my 3-4 hour "riding around to see the sights" type bike rides even more.

Biking in particular is hard to measure also, as so many things matter--my HRM actually indicated that my bike commuting burns were typically understated, which I think is due to wind resistance plus me riding a huge heavy bike. (I noticed this as when I was riding hills on a different bike I didn't feel as much additional exertion as one would think.) I'm not sure I trust a HRM for biking anyway, however.

I think the main takeaway is exercise totals are really hard to judge and the only way to really know is control calories and see what your losses are.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Did OP ever say what the 1000 calories burn exercise is?
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

Sure you are.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

It's not strange. It just takes a long time to achieve it. Most people don't have that kind of time to spend working out.

For example, I'm 5'2 and 20 lbs over weight. It takes me over 3 hours of low grade hiking to hit 900 calories burned, and that's on a good day.

The average person doesn't have 3 hours to dedicate to exercise... every single day.

I can burn 1000 calories a day with the amount of walking around i have to do, to and from work and generally around. In fact, i burn that five days a week! It's not impossible :)

Nope, that is from exercise I can assure you-I wear a fitbit and it is pretty accurate. I really do do A LOT of walking around!

That is your lifestyle. That's your day to day living which factors in as NEAT in your TDEE equation. It will increase your TDEEA because your NEAT is higher than normal but it is not exercise. A carpenter or landscaper will burn more calories daily than a data entry clerk but neither one logs that time as exercise.

But I don't HAVE to walk everywhere. I could get a bus, or lifts from colleagues, but I choose not to because I tell myself I want the exercise. So, I still count it as exercise, because those days that I do accept a lift back from a meeting or home from work, it does make a noticeable difference to the amount of calories I burn.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

That is your lifestyle. That's your day to day living which factors in as NEAT in your TDEE equation. It will increase your TDEEA because your NEAT is higher than normal but it is not exercise. A carpenter or landscaper will burn more calories daily than a data entry clerk but neither one logs that time as exercise.

But I don't HAVE to walk everywhere. I could get a bus, or lifts from colleagues, but I choose not to because I tell myself I want the exercise. So, I still count it as exercise, because those days that I do accept a lift back from a meeting or home from work, it does make a noticeable difference to the amount of calories I burn.

I park in the back of a parking lot to walk more to store. Should I log that as exercise?
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

I park in the back of a parking lot to walk more to store. Should I log that as exercise?

Oh, I'm not talking about logging 2 minute walks or anything daft; 45 minutes to walk to work, 30 minutes from one site to another for a meeting, 30 minutes back, 45 minutes to walk home from work, 40 minutes to walk to my boyfriend's, 40 minutes back, 1 hour to walk to the pub....those things add up.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You know if you set MFP to sedentary and then walk around a lot with an activity tracker you get additional calories to eat because it adjusts, automatically, your base activity calories as though you were logging exercise

It may not be cardio or weights but it still adds to your TDEE
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Oh, I'm not talking about logging 2 minute walks or anything daft; 45 minutes to walk to work, 30 minutes from one site to another for a meeting, 30 minutes back, 45 minutes to walk home from work, 40 minutes to walk to my boyfriend's, 40 minutes back, 1 hour to walk to the pub....those things add up.

Wow you must live in a city of some sort. I guess technically this can be called exercise. Now if it is a month later and this is still like a daily schedule you follow you would know that your calorie burns would decrease right?
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    You know if you set MFP to sedentary and then walk around a lot with an activity tracker you get additional calories to eat because it adjusts, automatically, your base activity calories as though you were logging exercise

It may not be cardio or weights but it still adds to your TDEE

This is exactly what I do, and if I do intervals at the gym or lift for an hour, I log that separately. It all seems to work fine.

With regard to the original question - I eat enough to fuel my day adequately - over a rolling 30 day horizon when I was still in losing mode, the average was 150-200 under the daily burn. Now in so-called "maintenance" it's pretty even-steven. I never thought of weight loss as a sprint.

• NoIdea101NoIdea
    Options

Wow you must live in a city of some sort. I guess technically this can be called exercise. Now if it is a month later and this is still like a daily schedule you follow you would know that your calorie burns would decrease right?

Yeah, I live in a city, and all of our buildings (work) are literally miles apart! Don't worry, I know that as my body gets used to it, it is less effective both as cardio and any strengthening of the muscles that *might* be taking place. However, according to my fitbit even after months of following that routine I still burn 2300-3000 calories a day just with all the walking around.

My fitbit has always been pretty accurate, and on those days where I only move to get up to go to the loo or get more food (yeah, I have those totally lazy days) it gives me a reading very close to my BMR. Although now I am curious as to whether it may still be accurately reflecting the walking burn after all these months as I would also expect the number to decrease with my body getting used to it.....

But I don't want to hijack this thread, that's very rude, so I will toddle off and do some research (and if I don't find anything satisfactory ask in the fitness board). Thanks for the input :)
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Ok. Here is my scenario. I burn 1000 calories at the gym and I don't spend 3 hours doing so either. I get on treadmill and run at 5.5 to 7 mph for 60 minutes. That burned 700 to 750 calories. Then I hit the elliptical at level 8 to 11, for 30 minutes and burn another 300 calories. I go as fast as I can. I see people read books or watching TV while working out. I can't do that. It would slow me down.
    When I'm done after 90 minutes my whole body is aching.
  • fiveminutes
    fiveminutes Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the OP is doing, but I know when I weighed around 245 lbs (I'm a 6'2" female), I would do Zumba for an hour, and if I was constantly moving and the instructor did a lot of high intensity songs, the most I would burn would be 750 calories and I wear a HRM. Now, at 175ish lbs, it typically takes me about an hour and a half to burn close to 800 calories, and that includes about an hour of running and 30-45 minutes of weight training. I think if the OP is doing at least 2 hours of exercise per day, they can easily hit 1,000 calorie burn. Though I have a personal trainer on FB and she always shows her Polar HRM shows over a 1,000 calorie burn in one hour, which I honestly have a hard time believing
  • lauraweres
    lauraweres Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Sorry everyone your getting this wrong what I ment was I ran 62minutes, I burnt 652 calories and on average 9.7 km/h
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Again, burning 1000 calories is not that hard if you work at a high intensity, non stop. I work as hard as I can. I'm not talking standing on the elliptical for an hour at a lower level while chit chatting with your friend next to you. If you are working hard enough you couldn't hold a conversation. You can tell at the gym who is pushing it to the limits vs the once just barley breaking a sweat. 1 hour on the elliptical for me at a high intensity burns 600- 650 calories, A treadmill run burns anywhere from 700 to 800 for an hour.
    I even underestimate my weight at the treadmill by as much as 20 pounds and I round down the final calorie burn to the nearest 100.