Question about eating back calories burned during exercise

Options
I am new to this site and to counting calories and exercise in general. I am completely lost about eating back calories burned during exercise. So does that mean I should have as close to zero left each day after exercise and everything? I have tried to keep my calories close to 1200 and have thought I was doing great on days where I eat 1200 and then burn a couple hundred as well. Am I doing this all wrong?

Replies

• MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    If you eat 1200 calories and then burn another 200 your body will go into starvaton mode and will not use up your fat reserves - so you won't lose weight effectively. You should really eat your exercise calories. I've been doing this for a week (only joined last Thursday) and not only have I lost weight, I also think it's easier as a long term plan because I don't feel hungry.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Your NET calories (on your home page) should be as close to the daily goal MFP set for you as possible.

Your REMAINING calories (on your homepage and food diary page) should be as close to zero as possible.

MFP builds in a deficit for you based on the information you gave it: height, weight, lifestyle, goal weight loss, etc.. All you need to do is follow the calorie goals it gives you.
  • kayrevan
    kayrevan Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I have been doing this for one week and have not lost anything. I was beginning to get discouraged and am trying not to stop. I find it hard to even get in my calories some days, so eating what I burn is going to be hard.
  • StevenCabral
    StevenCabral Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need to eat your exercise calories too. I was confused as well in the beginning. dropped 13 pounds in eight weeks.
  • kayrevan
    Options
    I appreciate all the help I can get. I am so confused and trying very hard not to give up this time! Thank you all so much!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I have been doing this for one week and have not lost anything. I was beginning to get discouraged and am trying not to stop. I find it hard to even get in my calories some days, so eating what I burn is going to be hard.

If you made a switch to "low fat" or "diet" versions, switch back. Add a bit of olive oil to your dinner recipe. Snack on nuts, avocado, and other healthy but nutrient rich foods. You can "drink your calories" if you're feeling a crunch trying to get your calories up, via fruit smoothies and/or protein shakes.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

If you made a switch to "low fat" or "diet" versions, switch back. Add a bit of olive oil to your dinner recipe. Snack on nuts, avocado, and other healthy but nutrient rich foods. You can "drink your calories" if you're feeling a crunch trying to get your calories up, via fruit smoothies and/or protein shakes.

Great advice!! For when I need extra 'healthy' calories, I eat Jif Natural peanut butter (4tbsp!), slathered on a medium red delicious apple...500 calories, awesome protien, and just about everything in it is good and healthy.

Plus they taste freaking incredible lol.

As for the original question...here's a pretty accurate assesment of the way they designed the program:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

Good luck! And don't get discouraged if you don't see any real progress in the first few weeks! Some people GAIN weight as their body learns to adapt to the new, proper way of eating...and gets back into fat burning mode =D.

Cris
  • kayrevan
    Options
    Thank you!!!! I really appreciate all of the tips! I have been reading a lot of posts trying to figure it all out on my own, but all it has done is confuse me so far. I really want to succeed this time, and appreciate people willing to help me do just that!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!! I really appreciate all of the tips! I have been reading a lot of posts trying to figure it all out on my own, but all it has done is confuse me so far. I really want to succeed this time, and appreciate people willing to help me do just that!

Glad to help! Check that link I posted...great information in there (not too keen on the BMI to set your goal weight...but other than that it's great!).

Cris
  • Deeangelique
    Deeangelique Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    dont give up!!! I onlyy started on here a week ago and last time i checked id lost 2lbs. Ive generally been using my full calorie count plus the ones i burnt. Sometimes a little over or under, but i dont let that get me down.

I think the best way to do it is see this as a lifestyle change, not a diet. So eat normally, if its too many cals, reduce ur portions a bit or take out one snack and see if thats better. Or do a bit more excercise to burn the excess. Dont starve yourself and deprive urself of the things you enjoy as you'll never be able to keep it up long term.

And if ur feeling like giving up, come to these message boards and say so. I have found the support on here a huge motivator to keep going. So much so that, despite being 17stone, ive gone to the gym 6 out of 7 days this week! I see people who've lost loads on their tickers and it inspires me to keep going.

Best of luck with it :o)