Should I give up looking at the scales?

Options
In the last 3 weeks I've put on 3lbs but can go along 2 extra notches on my belt so I know I'm losing fat but seem to be gaining weight. I'm only doing a bit of cycling and walking each day which I've been doing since the beginning of the year so don't understand!

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    It depends on if it would work for you. Not looking at the scale didn't work for me - I gained 20lbs last time I did that. You can either learn that fluctuations happen (if it is indeed a fluctuation), but if seeing the fluctuations annoy you then it might be for the best.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    If it's making you feel like you aren't making any progress then yes. Measurements & pictures will give you more satisfaction imo.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Umm, am I the only a little skeptical of someone who is gaining weight but losing inches?????
  • gunthkm
    gunthkm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My experience has been to use my belt as my guide. I was a 'weigh-every-Friday' person for a long time, until I started seriously exercising and tracking my food. My old 145 lbs was 26% body fat, and my new 144 lbs is 16% body fat. My old waist measurement was 32 in., and is now 28 in. at almost identical weight. So my opinion is that the scale is not necessarily your friend if you are trying to change your body composition through either diet (increasing protein consumption) or exercise (weight lifting) or both.
  • cokefloat1
    cokefloat1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I say gained 3lbs. It wasnt a steady gain. It went from 13st 4lbs down to 13st then back up to 13st 3lbs. Im back down to 13st 2lbs now. All i was really interested in was changing body shape and losing the gut so as long as that's going i don't really care!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend it. With exercise, you can develop some muscles that help pull your fat in, so your belt will get tighter, but your fat will be the same or even worse.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you are talking about the scale that you use to weigh yourself, not the one used to weigh your food. In that case, go for it if you want to. You only know if something works for you or not if you try it.
  • matt88uk
    matt88uk Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I go to my doctors and get weighed every 2 weeks on a Friday same time of day to and I'm down 2 stone in 11 weeks just under :)......still currently losing
  • cokefloat1
    cokefloat1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I
    jemhh wrote: »
    I'm assuming you are talking about the scale that you use to weigh yourself, not the one used to weigh your food. In that case, go for it if you want to. You only know if something works for you or not if you try it.

If only i could eat 13st worth of food!!! Mmmmm! Lol
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yes, throw it out.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Or you could go the other way and weigh daily to learn your fluctuations and trends.

Depends on how you like your data.

Or how attached you are to the numbers.
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I did BC I work hard all week believing that I had a lost step on the scale and nothing, then I am sad. Best thing to do is to measure and go by your clothes I have a pair of pants hanging 1 size smaller and that is my immediate goal to get into those pants then pull out the next smaller size until I reach my size 10 pants that works for me.