And so it begins

Options
bey02
bey02 Posts: 22 Member
This is my first real diet day and when I say real I mean I have "dieted" before it just never stuck! I'm 340lbs :'( and want to loose 200lbs. My sister has moved in with me after uni doing a sport science course so she is going to be a big help and I'm sure some days she will turn into a slice of pizza like on the Simpsons but for the first time I actually believe I can do this! Motivation is very welcomed!!

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    And like you said... so it begins...

Make your plan and goals and now start! Make sure you make small goals.. big ones may look to far away.. the small one allow you to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Here is my take... use MFP tool - put 100% effort, dedication and commitment to this and ITS FREE.

1) Get a food scale, weigh and log everything.
    2) Do cardio if you want, and if you do, only eat back 50% of your calories. or not.. Weight loss occurs in the kitchen or out of it.. which ever way you want to look at it.. :)
    3) Lift weights if you can..if not.. you do not have to exercise to loose weight... this helps..
    4) Cheat meals over maintenance sabotages all your efforts. If a cheat meal happens LOG IT.
    5) You can lose weight eating the same things you already eat... IT IS SMALLER PORTIONS and MODERATION.
    TIP: Try to choose foods to help you stay under your calories without feeling hungry.

Be sure to read all the "stickies" at the beginning of each forum, especially if you have a specific question.. You can find some really great "already tried and true" how to's..
  • rowleypolie
    rowleypolie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Me too! I started at 347, I'm down 10 lbs so far, and I already feel so much better. I'll add you as a friend so we can help each other
  • IRONmanRAY
    IRONmanRAY Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You got this! Make the commitment to stick with this.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    You got this. Consistency is a key. You are in for a long road, but if you can stay consistent, I guarantee you can make your goal.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above poster.

Great idea to try and choose foods that will be satisfying. One of the reasons I didn't do as well on Weight Watchers was because I was always trying to eat the lowest points foods I could find, so I could "eat more" - but I was short changing myself on fats and protein and thus was hungry and tired a lot of the time. Now I make sure I meet the goals MFP gives me for daily protein, fiber, fat, iron, etc. I do feel much much better.

Be strong, be committed - but don't be super hard on yourself. Allow yourself treats, don't force yourself to eat things you hate/dislike. Find ways to make the foods you enjoy fit in to your plan. :)

Don't give up. Hang in there, and if your sister looks like a slice of pizza, for heaven's sake make some home made pizza and enjoy. ;)
  • bey02
    bey02 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks all I will ensure to read back on all these comments of I ever struggle!!!
  • lizardlipsagain
    lizardlipsagain Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Welcome bey02,

MFP has been great for me, I have been dieting for the majority of my life with results every time only to go off and then gained more than I lost. At 231 pounds I had enough, for once I started thinking that I deserved to care about myself without feeling guilty or selfish. I joined MFP on Mar 13, logged ALL the food I consumed no matter how small. Measured what I eat with a scale because I found what I thought was a serving size was actually way WAY more. So far I've lost 19 pounds at a fairly steady pace except for a 2 week period when I had a miserable cold, I didnt lose anything during that period but at least I didnt gain. Guess I am finally learning something about portions. I haven't given up all the foods I love, just reduced the quantity. I find that I can stick to my 1200 calories, sometimes I have to work around the food planning to work in those not so good for me foods I really like but Im finding I'm not craving those foods as much anymore. My motto is one day/one pound at a time.

Its great that you have your sister with you as support( please don't eat your sister, it would be a shame to loose your closest support system). Good luck in your journey, dont give up, we all have meals or days that are hard to stick with but don't sweat it if you get off track, just get back on the bus and do your best, you deserve to be happy with yourself. Hugs.