Won my First 5k

Options
McCloud33
McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
I've been trying to get back in shape for going on 5 years now. My brother had dropped a TON of weight and started doing triathalons back in 2008-2009. In 2010, he convinced me to run a 5 mile race with him. I was kind of a runner in HS back in the late 90s and played soccer, but had let myself go over the 10 years after. I finished that 5 mile race with a 10:15 min/mi pace at 235lbs.

I've done a few races since then and over the last 18 months, really dropped the weight (235lbs-170lbs). Our town has a free 5k race every year to get the community out and active. I like to run, but hate to pay to do it (ha), so this seemed perfect for me. It might not have been the most competitive of races being free, but I broke the 20 min mark and finished in 19:50! I lead the entire race and the next closest person was a good 35-45 seconds behind me. I'm quickly closing in on my best HS times and I'm still a good 25lbs heavier than I was then.

Replies

• possingk
    possingk Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Great job!!
  • McCloud33
    Options
    possingk wrote: »
    Great job!!

Thanks! Quite a bit of hard work going into it :)
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Great job man!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Fast! Congrats!
  • agartin
    agartin Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    That's amazing! Good work.
  • SkinnyMel78
    SkinnyMel78 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    congrats!!!
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    How awesome! Congrats!
  • candykay0605
    candykay0605 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    wonderful job!!!
  • McCloud33
    Options
    Anyone else won with a time that wasn't Sub 19? It seems like most of the races you see, there's someone that just blazes a super fast time.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's a huge victory!!
  • tmove2015
    tmove2015 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's SO great! You've inspired me to keep running and that is a goal for me one day too! Congrats!
  • LuckyMe2017
    LuckyMe2017 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Great work!
  • erojoy
    erojoy Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    :open_mouth: Holy Hell that is fast.
  • believeinme0430
    believeinme0430 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! Congrats!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Less than half my first 5k time!! Dang!!!
  • jlbrown1985
    jlbrown1985 Posts: 136 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    That is awesome and very inspirational to me! My goal is to run an entire 5K this summer. I ran/walked one with my daughter last weekend and finished 3rd place in my age division. I was very happy with that and feel like it gave me the encouragement I need to keep pushing myself to do better! Oh and my 9 year old finished 4th in the under 18 age division!

Also in the last two 5K's I have done the top men finished just over 19 mins. The top women were over 25 mins so great job! You go girl!
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I won my age group (50-54) in a 5k once, with a 24:20.
  • jonnie256
    jonnie256 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    That's pretty quick man. My best time is 24:42.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!