does anybody know of any good books??

Options
mishelnkiki
mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
im REALLY in the mood to sit down tonight and read a book. im taking a rest day and its gonna make me crazy so i figured i would read instead. anybody got any good suggestions?

Replies

• alex215
    alex215 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    what kinds of books do you like to read?

I am a Chuck Palahniuk fan, you might like him if you liked the movie Fight Club and enjoy twisted dark humor.

Recently i just got into Dean Koontz and like him so far.
  • kam81
    kam81 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    im REALLY in the mood to sit down tonight and read a book. im taking a rest day and its gonna make me crazy so i figured i would read instead. anybody got any good suggestions?

Not sure your taste in books, but The Art Of Racing in the Rain or People of the Book were both very good....and very different from each other.
  • sars_68
    sars_68 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Again - it depends on your taste in books. But 'The Lovely Bones' is a fab book and I recently read room by Emma Donoghue - heart wrenching!

S:smile:
  • symphonika
    symphonika Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Augusten Burroughs is a great author!
  • Dreawolf
    Dreawolf Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If you like historical romance, To Tame a Savage by Georgina Gentry is an excellent book. :smile:
  • phog007
    phog007 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I just read a great book on the plane yesterday titled "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall. Very interesting and inspiring!
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I just finished "Stories I Only Tell My Friends", by Rob Lowe. It was extremely well written. Rob is a pretty smart guy.

m
  • Winged_Victory
    Options
    I recently read "Cutting for Stone" by Abraham Verghese. It was wonderful!! Beautiful story of familial love and loss.
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I know I'm a nerd, but Twilight. LOL. So not my style, but i'm hooked on the books.
  • PhoenyxRising
    PhoenyxRising Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I lovedThe Kite Runner, The Street Lawyer by John Grisham, and When the Wind Blows & The Lake House by James Patterson... also ANY novel by Eric Jerome ****ey... especially Friends & Lovers and Genevieve. Enjoy your reading!!
  • Thompsonic7
    Thompsonic7 Posts: 32
    Options
    I'm currently reading 'so many ways to begin' by Jon mcgregor... It's fantastic.
  • pragya728
    pragya728 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Excellent book!!
  • Buckley10
    Buckley10 Posts: 6
    Options
    The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett is really good. I just finished it. Other recommendations, We the Living by Ayn Rand, The Family by Mario Puzo. I hope you enjoy your night of reading!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Second the recommendation for the Help. I also liked the following:

Water for Elephants
    Like Water for Chocolate
    Bridget Jones' Diary
    Saving Fish from Drowning
    Del Canto

You could also check out these classics. These are my go to books
    Rebecca
    Anna Karenina (probably spelling that wrong).
    The Count of Monte Cristo ( again with the spelling)

I have not finished it yet, but if you like historical fiction I am really liking I, Elizabeth
  • Stacey765
    Stacey765 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    The Help was an AMAZING book! I loved it! Also, I like anything the Greg Isles writes, he is amazing
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    Options
    A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini.....it is just amazing.....its a hard story with all that is going on and very emotional i have been told(my friends said they cried..i didn't but...:) but the book is amazing and the ending a fantastic!

Here is part of the summary:

A Thousand Splendid Suns recounts the experiences and emotions of two Afghani women, Mariam and Laila, whose lives become entangled with the history of recent wars in their country. Mostly bleak and heartrending, their story does offer the promise of hope and happiness in a land ravaged by warfare, gender conflicts, and poverty.

The novel begins in 1974, when Mariam is fifteen. She lives with her single mother in an isolated spot outside of Herat, an Afghan community of artists. Mariam’s father, Jalil, runs the local movie theater. He does not live with her. Mariam’s mother, whom Mariam calls Nana, was a servant in Jalil’s home when she became pregnant. Jalil had three other wives and never offered to marry Mariam’s mother. Instead, he built a modest house for her on a hill out of town. Jalil comes to visit Mariam once a week and charms her into believing the he will one day fully claim her. Nana, a bitter and sickly woman, tries to destroy Mariam’s fantasies of her father. Mariam’s mother is fully aware that Jalil will eventually betray Mariam, which he does. Although Jalil finally takes Mariam into his home, he gives in to his wives’ demands to send Mariam away by offering her as a bride to an older man.

Her future husband is Rasheed, a successful shoemaker in Kabul. He is a big man, and his size alone frightens Mariam when she first sees him. Before she leaves her father’s side, Mariam swears she will never again speak to him for not allowing her to stay in his house.......

http://www.enotes.com/thousand-splendid-suns
  • maletac
    maletac Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    beat the reaper.... its kinda like a mix between sopranos and house... all in one book
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    I :heart: reading, here are some of my favorites...

Suzanne Brockmann; anything she writes is great, I especially like the Troubleshooter series
    Steve Hockensmith; The Holmes on the Range series
    Janet Evanovich; Stephanie Plum series
    Kristen Heitzmann; The Michelli Family series, have enjoyed reading the others through as well
    Willa Cather; My Antonia and O Pioneers!
    Kate Chopin; The Awakening
    Tess Gerritsen; intense reading
    Charlaine Harris; Sookie Stackhouse series (True Blood on HBO is based on these books)
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I think I'm the only one who did not like The Help! But I totally agree with the poster who likes A Thousand Splendid Suns - one of my all time favorite books. I love the way it broadens an American's perspective on lives in the Middle East. Also, The Art of Happiness by the Dalai Lama - actually changed my perspective in a dramatic way. For light reading, Charlaine Harris rocks! And I really loved Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen for feel-good, light but good reading.
  • pragya728
    pragya728 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I think I'm the only one who did not like The Help! But I totally agree with the poster who likes A Thousand Splendid Suns - one of my all time favorite books. I love the way it broadens an American's perspective on lives in the Middle East. Also, The Art of Happiness by the Dalai Lama - actually changed my perspective in a dramatic way. For light reading, Charlaine Harris rocks! And I really loved Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen for feel-good, light but good reading.

I agree, "A Thousand Splendid Suns" is absolutely amazing!!

Thanks to the original poster for this topic. I am getting such good ideas for books to read!