Do quest bars make anyone else nauseous?

Options
margaretlb4
margaretlb4 Posts: 114 Member
I bought them thinking that they would be good for snacks but they are making me nauseous. I am wondering if it's the processing, as this is the most processed food I eat, curious if anyone else has the same reaction.

Replies

• farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I just had one lol, and yes they make me slightly nauseous too!! The only ones I can eat are the choc chip cookie dough and the fudge brownie. It doesn't tast terrible, it just makes me slightly sick to my stomach. I am thinking it is the amount of protein in them. The higher the protein bar, the tougher it is on my stomach. I was told you get used to the higher amounts of protein...
  • Linovitz
    Linovitz Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    OMG. I love them. No nauseous here! Maybe I am used to them.
  • Alisonison
    Alisonison Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I only get nauseous if I eat one on an empty stomach!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Some of them have sugar alcohols (like xylitol) which mess with some people's digestive functions.

Not mine, apparently. ;-)
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Nope please send SMores , cookies and cream, or raspberry white chocolate to me if you have them.

It could be the sugar alcohol bothering you.
  • SeeNicholeShrink
    SeeNicholeShrink Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Nope, I love them. Especially the new mint brownie! YUM.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    The only one I've had trouble with is chocolate pb, I've tried 5 others and they didn't fight back.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners have always been part of my diet.. so no :joy: lol
  • amoynoodle
    amoynoodle Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Nopes. i LOVE quest bars. I eat a suuuuuper clean diet too, and quests are pretty much the most processed thing i eat, so i dont think its the "processing" probably just the sugar alcohols people mention... although tbh i am super sensitive to sugar alcohols and most sweetners exept stevia but i dont get bloated from quests as the sweetners are in such a low quantity.
  • ksearleknox
    ksearleknox Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    They have become my best friend! Love for travel days
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    No. I eat a Quest bar just about every day. I love them for their high fiber content.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    When i eat the entire box of them they do.
  • brockbennett1981
    brockbennett1981 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Kind bars r really good
  • teener501
    teener501 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    No problems here. I have read that you should drink a lot of water when you eat them because of the high fiber content though.
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Yes they did. I bought 3 different flavors, they were expensive, didn't taste very good, and they made me nauseous. I think it was the sweetener.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    If I have a bar that has a lot of protein I have to eat it slowly in little bits throughout the day. If I eat it in one go then I get sick feeling
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm also thinking it's from the sugar alcohols; they give me wicked indigestion and headaches when I eat them (both quest bars and any bar that has sugar alcohols in them).

I tend to eat the Clif brand instead; they don't have sugar alcohols and claim to use organic ingredients blah blah blah, which I don't super care about, but they've got some pretty yummy flavours. The "builder" line through them is about the same protein quantity as quest bars (20g), but I was never a fan of the flavours. I tend to eat from their energy bar line, but the protein trade-off isn't great (more like 240-280 cals, 9-11g of protein). The oatmeal raisin walnut bar though, ugh, that thing is heaven. I'd eat it as dessert any day.

Moral of my suggestion: if protein/energy bars are something you'd like to have in your diet (for convenience, etc) look for ones that don't contain sugar alcohols. For the most part, they will have a slightly higher calorie trade off, but it's worth it to not feel sick, right?