after how long should you try lowering or increasing calories for weight loss???

Options
Started Focus T25. I am finished 4 weeks with no weight loss. Yes I have lost a couple cms around waist n legs but at week 4 did not get any new results (despite being stronger and pushing harder in week 4).
Start weight 138 Weight today: 138.5
Calories suggested by focus t25 meal plan = 1600. I eat about 1550 a day. My two rest days Sunday and Monday: I eat about 1400, but on Saturdays I eat about 2000. My cals are shifted a bit but = the same for the whole week still. Sunday I usually do light exercise like walking or bicycling.

NO WEIGHT LOSS !!! (I want to knock off 6 pounds in the next 10 weeks!) should I try lowering the calories? Or should I stay at this for another week? Whats happening??? Right now at 1600, I never feel lacking in energy, and do not go to bed hungry.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
  • papaking
    papaking Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    look in diary and evaluate foods for fiber and carbs, you need high fiber but proper carbs for weight loss. also change cals and exercise more often might help. i have been 3 months with no plateau and minimal exercise plan, 30 pounds total lost. hope this helps
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    papaking wrote: »
    look in diary and evaluate foods for fiber and carbs, you need high fiber but proper carbs for weight loss. also change cals and exercise more often might help. i have been 3 months with no plateau and minimal exercise plan, 30 pounds total lost. hope this helps

so not true...

you need a calorie deficit to lose weight...not "proper carbs" and changing stuff up isn't a magic bullet either...

2 years without a plateau (except 7 months at maintenance so plateau on purpose) 60lbs lost...still lifting, still eating lots of refined carbs and chocolate and drinking.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

This advice is not correct
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    In addition to making sure you're logging correctly... don't put so much value on the scale. With as little weight as you want to lose (6 pounds), you might not see or even need to see much of a change on the scale. If your measurements are going down, that's really all that counts. The increase in exercise (you said you were really pushing hard last week) could give you enough fluid retention to negate a loss on the scale. If I wigged out every time the scale didn't do what I wanted it to do, I'd... have a lot of wigs. ;)
  • CatherineD9889
    CatherineD9889 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I suggest you take any advice you read on here and divide it by 4....lol everyone's got an opinion...
    Ask a nutritionist about a proper calorie count and nutritional goals for yourself...that's the safest way to do things.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Are you able to step up your workout? That would be the easiest solution - add a few minutes of running into your light walk/jog and really get a good sweat going. Incorporate weight lifting into this and this should be enough to shock your system and begin burning fat.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I suggest you take any advice you read on here and divide it by 4....lol everyone's got an opinion...
    Ask a nutritionist about a proper calorie count and nutritional goals for yourself...that's the safest way to do things.
    you think eh.

I can become a nutritionist over the weekend if I want...does that make my advice any more credible? not likely.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Are you able to step up your workout? That would be the easiest solution - add a few minutes of running into your light walk/jog and really get a good sweat going. Incorporate weight lifting into this and this should be enough to shock your system and begin burning fat.

You can't out exercise a bad diet though

• FemmeAndi
    FemmeAndi Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I`m sorry, I have not been logging my foods of my fitnesspal.. what i am doing is just using MFP to calculate the amount of calories by measured food (like 5 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast = 162 cals.. ok ..so then i take that and write it down on a paper journal) I`ll promise to press enter from now on. i use measuring cups to measure. I am trying to follow the t25 meal plan the best i can, but i live in a remote area so its hard to get things like talipa fish so i use salmon or cod
    Breakfasts i alternate oatmeal and eggs.
    lunches i stick to chicken or egg..tuna salads
    supper is my hardest because i have an 18 month old that i need to find recipes to make that he enjoys to.. chickpea burgers are a hit with pita bread.. i cut out pasta.. had lasgana once in last 4 weeks
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    FemmeAndi wrote: »
    I`m sorry, I have not been logging my foods of my fitnesspal.. what i am doing is just using MFP to calculate the amount of calories by measured food (like 5 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast = 162 cals.. ok ..so then i take that and write it down on a paper journal) I`ll promise to press enter from now on. i use measuring cups to measure. I am trying to follow the t25 meal plan the best i can, but i live in a remote area so its hard to get things like talipa fish so i use salmon or cod
    Breakfasts i alternate oatmeal and eggs.
    lunches i stick to chicken or egg..tuna salads
    supper is my hardest because i have an 18 month old that i need to find recipes to make that he enjoys to.. chickpea burgers are a hit with pita bread.. i cut out pasta.. had lasgana once in last 4 weeks

hmm you know 5 oz of chicken does not have 162 calories right...5oz=141.79 grams so let's say 142 grams...that is 233 calories...breast meat only...roasted.

Just be aware that not all entries here are correct...check the number of confirmations and when the last one was or double check on the site mentioned above.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to reevaluate your logging.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    as has been said - you need to make sure your logging is infallible (as much as possible anyways) before messing with your calorie goal changes.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm going to target the weighing and tracking as the culprit. Not what you are eating but how much. All it might mean is slightly smaller portions, maybe 3/4 of what you are portioning out right now.

P.S. I figure about two weeks is a good guide to know if what you are doing is working. If nothing is moving, that might be the time to change things up.
  • CatherineD9889
    CatherineD9889 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    you think eh.

I can become a nutritionist over the weekend if I want...does that make my advice any more credible? not likely.

I don't understand why so many people on here are so snarky! Be nice! Sheesh!
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options

What do you mean minimal exercise plan?
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

hmm you know 5 oz of chicken does not have 162 calories right...5oz=141.79 grams so let's say 142 grams...that is 233 calories...breast meat only...roasted.

Just be aware that not all entries here are correct...check the number of confirmations and when the last one was or double check on the site mentioned above.

i usually buy skinless chicken breast, which does have, according to usda, and it's nutritional label, right around 160 for 5 ounces. I mean if you are eating chicken because it's low fat/cal, i'd say you are usaully getting boneless skinless...but not everyone