Extra 100 calories

Options
How much difference will it make if I eat another 100 calories or so to get rid of hunger when I've used them all up?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Very little. You'd still be below maintenance, so all it would do is give you a slightly lower loss (maybe not even enough to show on the scale).
  • liketotallyjenn
    liketotallyjenn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't plan on making it a common thing, I just know there are times when it feels like it's just not enough and I need more fuel. I'm trying to shed 1 lb/week.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    You're 18 years old. How much do you want to lose? How tall are you?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Lower the aggressiveness of your goal to a half pound a week, so you have more calories.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    How much difference will it make if I eat another 100 calories or so to get rid of hunger when I've used them all up?

Doing that 35 times will equal one pound.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

Doing that 35 times will equal one pound.
    Which, for me, would be a great reason to eat those extra calories.

I would much rather be comfortable and take an extra month or so to lose that pound rather than be hungry all of the time.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You can also choose to look at your deficit as a weekly deficit. Some days I net 1800, some days 1400, maybe once a week 2500.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    none.

at least none you would notice. LOL
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    If it is consistently happening, you can manually adjust your callorie allowance up a slight bit so it's not as restrictive. I went up on mine at one point by 150 and it made all the difference hunger wise and I still lost at a good rate. It's okay to do that.

Using a weekly goal works great too.
  • liketotallyjenn
    Options
    I'm 5ft tall and 25 lbs over my healthy weight (120 lbs). I really want to get rid of this extra junk on my body.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm 5ft tall and 25 lbs over my healthy weight (120 lbs). I really want to get rid of this extra junk on my body.

So you're ~145 lbs? I was exactly where you were back in January. What's your calorie goal right now & what did you set as desired loss per week? And do you get some exercise in - even some extra walking - so you can have more calories?

Going over by 100 or so when you're hungry isn't the end of the world - just slows things down a little. If you're going over by 100 often, then it could be time to evaluate what you're eating and see if you need to make better choices so the hunger doesn't get the best of you! It could just be that you're having a hungry day, too.

~Lyssa
  • liketotallyjenn
    Options
    Right now I'm at 1400 calories per day, and I do at least 10 minutes of deliberate cardio per day (I know it's not much but it's what I can work with for right now). I'm set to lose 1lb per week. I think part of my hunger could be a hormonal thing right now, haha. I've noticed that you do have to use your calories wisely, if you waste them on junk food or food that doesn't stick with you, you'll end up regretting it when you're having to either do extra cardio or go over your daily goal.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    an extra 100 calories a day for everyday is an extra 10 lbs. But one day, it dosn't make much of a diffrence. or just walk a mile, and burn of the extra 100 calories.
  • arditarose
    Options
    andympanda wrote: »
    an extra 100 calories a day for everyday is an extra 10 lbs. But one day, it dosn't make much of a diffrence. or just walk a mile, and burn of the extra 100 calories.

what?
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    sorry, must have been a non alcohol drunk. 100 calories evreday for 1 year = 10 lbs.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    sorry, must have been a non alcohol drunk. 100 calories evreday for 1 year = 10 lbs.
    ...if you are eating an extra 100 calories over your maintenance. Having a 400/day calorie deficit rather than a 500/day calorie deficit just means that you will lose about 42 pounds rather than about 52 pounds in that year so it will take a bit longer to lose the weight.

Comfort is more important than speed of weight loss, IMO.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Right now I'm at 1400 calories per day, and I do at least 10 minutes of deliberate cardio per day (I know it's not much but it's what I can work with for right now). I'm set to lose 1lb per week. I think part of my hunger could be a hormonal thing right now, haha. I've noticed that you do have to use your calories wisely, if you waste them on junk food or food that doesn't stick with you, you'll end up regretting it when you're having to either do extra cardio or go over your daily goal.

If it's around TOM for you, you might find that you get the munchies - I know I do! I try really hard to go for a healthy snack first (greek yogurt, meat and cheese, some other high protein thing), wait ~20 minutes and if the munchies are still around, I'll go for a treat. For me, it's really only 2-3 days that I wanna say "**** it all" and eat nothing but chocolate, so I try to find balance and eat no higher than maintenance calories for the day. Am I always successful? No. But I do my best and that's what matters. So far I think I've only gone above maintenance by 400-500 at most, and I try to even it out by going a touch under the rest of the week and getting in more exercise.

Not sure what kind of job you have, but even getting in some extra walking throughout your day can mean you eat a little more. I have a Fitbit and shoot for 10k steps daily, which gives me an extra ~400 calories to use since I have MFP set as Sedentary for my activity level. For me, it's better to see that small number and have to work for higher! Once I'm going for maintenance, I'll up my activity level and play around till I can find exactly how much I should be eating.

It sounds like you've got an OK goal to work with and have a good attitude towards getting this done. Best of luck! You've got this!

~Lyssa
  • arditarose
    Options

It's okay. I don't even math so I didn't know how to correct you.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    100 calories a week, you won't even notice it. 100 calories a day, could be significant.