Just started to diet today

Options
I just started using this app today, and I was just wondering if anyone would guide me on how to lose weight and keep it off. Being this big really brought down my self-esteem, caused me to isolate myself from people, and just think really bad about myself. When I got this app, I got to read some of those success stories and thought, if other people can do it, why cant I? Also, my family doesn't really support me, and me with my whole isolation problem, I don't have no one to be there for me. I just want to be happy with who I am, and have confidence,and to be proud of something!! So I'm deciding to do something about my weight, and thank you you for reading :)

Replies

• Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Don't diet. Work on your lifestyle and make slow but permanent changes. Grab an apple instead of a candy bar and make it a habit. Take a walk or make a step goal for each day and make it routine. Work yourself into a healthier place. I hear lifting is good, but I am not there yet.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It IS a diet. It's a weight loss diet. And as you're on this weight loss diet start making those slow but permanent changes. Find what works for YOU. If that's counting calories, or low carb, or a formal program with support, great. But you've got to work in those life long changes. And make some sustainable diet changes (apple versus candy bar after lunch is a great start) and then start moving more. Walking is a great start.

If portion control is your issue, use this app, and maybe a scale to LEARN what proper portions are.
    If it's binging on snack foods, use this app and the resources here to learn what leads you to over eat.

Good luck!
  • jcoffeyJC82
    jcoffeyJC82 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! I suggest filling out your profile and weight loss goals and then track everything you put into your mouth...even some gum has calories! I weigh and measure everything and I enter it before I eat it. You are not alone and it's not easy. But I go on the community board every day and read, read and read...get ideas and support. It's awesome. Good luck.
  • Geekymonkey99
    Geekymonkey99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Even though it is technically a diet, the word diet has a negative connotation. It sounds restrictive. People too often say, "I can't; I'm on a diet." That's why we stress lifestyle change. It needs to be sustainable forever.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    The first thing to do is to weigh and log everything for a week or so. You will be surprised how high calorie some foods are and how small a serving is. Once you can see this you can then start to make changes in your diet. Keep to the calorie goal MFP has set you. Get in some exercise. Don't cut out your favourite foods but make sure you fit them into your calorie allowance. Visit the forums there are a lot of very experienced people on here who give great advice.

You will soon get the hang of things. I know it is not easy if you don't have much support at home but just remember you are doing this for you. What other people think doesn't matter. Find some friends on here who understand and are supportive.

Good luck but be patient the weight won't come off overnight but you will get there if you just keep positive.

205cd4n8oo0z.png
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Even though it is technically a diet, the word diet has a negative connotation. It sounds restrictive. People too often say, "I can't; I'm on a diet." That's why we stress lifestyle change. It needs to be sustainable forever.
    It only has the power YOU give it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    The first thing to do is to weigh and log everything for a week or so. You will be surprised how high calorie some foods are and how small a serving is. Once you can see this you can then start to make changes in your diet. Keep to the calorie goal MFP has set you. Get in some exercise. Don't cut out your favourite foods but make sure you fit them into your calorie allowance. Visit the forums there are a lot of very experienced people on here who give great advice.

You will soon get the hang of things. I know it is not easy if you don't have much support at home but just remember you are doing this for you. What other people think doesn't matter. Find some friends on here who understand and are supportive.

Good luck but be patient the weight won't come off overnight but you will get there if you just keep positive.

205cd4n8oo0z.png

This is smart!