horrible shin splints

Options
I have recently started trying to lose weight and exercising on a regular basis. I have completely changed my eating habits no soda, all water, 1300 calories a day healthier choices I do what I can at home but ive got horrible shin splints and it keeps me from doing ANY sort of cardio at all. I cant even do a couple jumping jacks without them feeling like there going to rip out of my leg. And I think because of this even though I eat well and lift weights and walk when I can I cant lose ANY weight or inches :( I stretch all day long in hopes then when I work out they will be better but theyre not. Does anyone here have problems with shin splints as well?! Im desperate to get this resolved!

Replies

• jeffchung91
    jeffchung91 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yup - shin splints suck. I've gotten them on and off the past couple of years from overtraining. The bummer is they're all different and the only universal thing with them is that the only way to get over them is rest.

Just keep doing what your doing, eat healthy, rest and stretch, find other ways to get a workout that don't impact your shins (swimming, abdominal workouts, upper body workouts) but just stay off your legs. Seriously. Wait until the pain has been gone for a couple of days and gradually work your way back in. Otherwise, you'll end up getting them again and making you're time off even longer like I did. Good luck!
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Yup - shin splints suck. I've gotten them on and off the past couple of years from overtraining. The bummer is they're all different and the only universal thing with them is that the only way to get over them is rest.

Seriously. Wait until the pain has been gone for a couple of days and gradually work your way back in. Otherwise, you'll end up getting them again and making you're time off even longer like I did. Good luck!

+1

OP you really do need to let them rest. Do stretches, hot/cold bathing in the mean time to help them if they are painful. You really don't want to be working on shin splints...

• vadersaysno
    vadersaysno Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    +2 shin splints require really suck and require rest to heal them up.

Great suggestion of doing swimming once your legs feel better. It's a good workout and isn't an impact on your legs. Try bike riding or using the elliptical machine.
  • pdxwoman
    pdxwoman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Addition to what everyone has said -
    Ice, ice, ice - I have found to be most effective. If you are sitting in front to the TV or just sedentary for 30 minutes or so then ice..

When you are able to get back to your workouts - build up slowly and also you might want to look at exercises to help prevent shin splints.

Good Luck.
  • amylee280
    amylee280 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What sort of trainers do u have!? I've had all sorts over the years and never really had bad shin splints... but since ive had nike runs i have shin splints after running!!
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Loosen the running shoe laces below the top eyes
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Shin splints are awful. I suffered with them when I was a gymnast back in H.S. That said, not being able to exercise due to shin splints will not keep you from losing weight. Eating more calories than you're burning will keep you from losing weight. Weight loss is much more about what you're eating than how much you're moving so worry less about the shin splints and more about what you're eating.

If you're eating so little you won't have much margin for error so you need to be more precise with your calorie counts than someone who has 100 pounds to lose and can eat 2500 and still lose weight. So how are you validating your daily 1300 calories? Are you weighing your food with a kitchen scale?

You mentioned you are weight lifting. Are you giving yourself extra calories to eat as a result of that? I'd highly suggest you not. MFP gives me around 280 calories for a one hour session which is really high, especially given that I'm resting between sets. It takes running 3 miles to burn that many calories so I know I'm not burning that in the gym.
  • galaxyeyed
    galaxyeyed Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    There's already a bunch of great advice here, but I just want to throw in that weight loss does not rely on your ability to do cardio, dieting alone is sufficient. I hope you feel better soon!
  • bareessentials56
    bareessentials56 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    aes1219 wrote: »
    Fill up Dixie cups with water and freeze them, then take one our and massage it on your shin, tearing the paper away as the ice melts. You can also try rolling a can under your foot on the ground to strengthen. Also writing the ABCs in the air with your foot, bending at the ankle. I hope you feel better soon!

I always did this when I had shin splints and I swear it makes all the difference. Freezing the plastic/paper cups I mean.
  • santanabansley
    santanabansley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advise. I am weighing out all my food for my 1300 calories a day. I do what I can without any cardio and eat right and still havnt been able to lose any weight. The only thing I can do is go on walks and any sort of incline kills. How long do you think it took your shins to heal? I got them in high school from track then recently they started again from jump roping and I havnt done anything since and that was probably 3 weeks ago. The worse part of this is is I signed up for a 5k in August and I havnt been able to do any sort of training :(
  • gonebeast
    gonebeast Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I came here to see what people had to say. I suffered from shin splints for at least 6 months. I was doing MMA at the time, walking everywhere. I completely made the situation much worse by working thru the pain, it hurt to even walk.
    I finally ended up getting a knee injury that forced me off any sports for 6 months. Now every time I run my shins get sore fast. I need to build up.

My advice is rest and ice with massages.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    How old are your shoes and have you ever had your stride evaluated? I had shin splints for years. Once I discovered how much I pronated and got proper shoes, I've had much less problems. The only time they flair up now is when it is time for a new pair of shoes.