starting my journey to lose 155 pounds

Options
So I am finally going to work towards being healthy and that includes losing weight. I'm 30 and need to lose 155 pounds. I'm going to change my eating habits and exercise. I'm curious if anyone knows of any supplements that can help?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! You've got this!
  • lapointesl
    lapointesl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    patience...determination....faithfulness....commitment.....above all love yourself! Best supplements I can think of..
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Hey MrPeach. The key to success is to focus on the things that will give you the most bang for the buck. In my opinion, here is what to focus on.

#1 Logging all your food
    #2 Using a food scale to weigh all your solid food so your calorie count is accurate (you can get a decent digital scale for $15)
    #3 Following a calorie goal (the one set by MFP can be a good place to start)
    #4 Weighing regularly (daily or weekly) so you can see your progress over time (a month is a good amount of time to have a clear idea of your rate of loss)

Once you have 1, 2, 3 and 4 down, you will probably benefit a lot by paying attention to your macros, that is, amount of protein, fat, and carbohydrate.

If you have good logging, sticking to your calories, and adjusting your macros, then you will probably benefit by working on getting more variety, including more whole foods and fiber. This is mostly for health and satiation.

Finally, if you have allll of that stuff down, then maybe you could have a small benefit from supplementation, but that will be down the road a ways.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    MrPeach84 wrote: »
    So I am finally going to work towards being healthy and that includes losing weight. I'm 30 and need to lose 155 pounds. I'm going to change my eating habits and exercise. I'm curious if anyone knows of any supplements that can help?
    No supplements are just a way to empty your pocket :-p. On a serious note, supplements are useless

I do reccomend having your dr take your blood to test for any vitamin deficiencies so that you can correct it.

• MrPeach84
    MrPeach84 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    No supplements are just a way to empty your pocket :-p. On a serious note, supplements are useless

I do reccomend having your dr take your blood to test for any vitamin deficiencies so that you can correct it.

I did do that and my testosterone is very very low and I'm only 30!!! Also vitamin D is low so I'm on a vitamins D supplement they proscribed.
  • MrPeach84
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options

I did do that and my testosterone is very very low and I'm only 30!!! Also vitamin D is low so I'm on a vitamins D supplement they proscribed.

Good for you, getting those issues rectified will help you feel tons better :)
  • Parkercomom
    Parkercomom Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! : )
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Good for you.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

Good for you, getting those issues rectified will help you feel tons better :)

Keep us posted on how you're doing! Looks like you're starting out on the right track.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Huzzah!
    Don't bother with the supplements (obviously take meds your Dr prescribes!) but don't worry about the other stuff.

I started out with 100 to loose and I'm down 30 in 3.5 months, it can be done and you can do it!
  • MrPeach84
    Options
    Huzzah!
    Don't bother with the supplements (obviously take meds your Dr prescribes!) but don't worry about the other stuff.

I started out with 100 to loose and I'm down 30 in 3.5 months, it can be done and you can do it!

How did you do it?