charlie horses and shin splints

Options
I would LOVE to know how you keep charlie horses and shin splints from happening. I make sure I stretch before and after my workouts, but since I have started jogging these two pains seem to be getting worse. I did ice my calves yesterday and that helped a little, but is there a way to totally prevent it from happening???

Thanks!

Replies

• donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    Dear lord I cannot even IMAGINE the Charlie Horses I'd get if I dreamed to ice down my calves! I get them if my bath water is a bit cold! :-D
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I was getting charlie horses a LOT after starting personal training - and to help, I started taking a Potassium supplement. Works like a charm! You could also eat lots of high potassium foods... but for me, it's easier to do the vitamin.

As far as shin splints, this I do not know much about. The ice and stretching can't hurt though!
  • Allivall
    Allivall Posts: 37
    Options
    Bananas or coconut water before working out. (advice from a trainer a few years back) :smile:
  • Tracy184
    Tracy184 Posts: 74
    Options
    Do you have good shoes? I got the WORST shin splints when I was using junk running shoes that I got on sale for $15 or so. I upgraded to New Balance and didn't have any problems after that.

The muscle cramps sound like a potassium/magnesium issue.
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Visit a running store and verify that the shoes you have are correct for your stride and/or strike pattern. If you are an overpronator and not wearing the correct shoes, all the remedies in the world won't make a bit of difference.
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Charlie horse is a cramp when cramping eat bananas and drink more water
    Shin Splints ice and then heat 20 minutes each
    But then do this
    Sit on the couch with legs stretched out, point toes and write the abcs 3 times. Do this as many time a day that you can and need.
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Well, then I guess I better buy shoes, then. I have been walking and doing the C25K in my socks on the treadmill. No issues yet.
  • aferbet
    aferbet Posts: 124
    Options
    Do you have good shoes? I got the WORST shin splints when I was using junk running shoes that I got on sale for $15 or so. I upgraded to New Balance and didn't have any problems after that.

The muscle cramps sound like a potassium/magnesium issue.

I have a pair of asics that I run in...so I don't think its my shoes.
  • Kolohe71
    Options
    Another thing to consider is the age of your shoes. Just like the tires on your car they do wear out over time, but unlike the tires the wear is not always visible. General rule of thumb is to buy new shoes every 6 months to 500 miles.
  • eorourke23
    eorourke23 Posts: 56
    Options
    Hi there, I have suffered severely from shin splints in the past and I have now discovered them to be a thing of the past ( thank goodness ) as I have been taking an aspirin a day, just one, every morning, side effect, I do bruise more as they thin the blood but hey I can cope with bruises but shin splints are agony, good luck, add me if you like :happy:
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Well, then I guess I better buy shoes, then. I have been walking and doing the C25K in my socks on the treadmill. No issues yet.
    If you are comfortable in your socks and having no issues then keep doing it. Don't bother with shoes. You have joined the barefoot running society.
  • Mchllmry
    Mchllmry Posts: 5
    Options
    I heard potassium. I started eating bananas a lot when I was jogging last year, and it seemed to help. Running/walking in the grass beside the path your on helps too, if you run a path, it will get rid of shin splints. Gotta watch 4 doggie treats and terrain a lot more though, but my shin splints went away when my hubby gave me that tip. He used to run cross country and told me about the 'nanners and grass running, and I'll be damned if I didn't feel better :)
  • Kolohe71
    Options
    I have a pair of asics that I run in...so I don't think its my shoes.

Again with the can analogies, but like cars there are many different models available from each manufacurer. Make sure you have the right model for your needs.

I currently run in Saucony's and love them, but a few years ago I had a pair that killed my feet... Just my $.02.
  • margie_77
    margie_77 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Charlie horses~ Bananas

Shin splints~ Try to run on flat surfaces, the sides of roads are tilted. Also, compression socks that go up to your knees :)