Protein powder for Iced coffee

Options
I want to have protein iced coffee for breakfast. I am looking for something that is low calorie. I tried the chocolate Shakeology and HATED it. It's too sweet with a gross after taste. Is there one out there that taste better or is that how they all taste? I have been looking at the Body Fortress Whey but if it's super sweet like the Shakeology I don't want to waste the money on it. Which one do you all use?

Replies

• nickycat73
    nickycat73 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Dymatize Cafe Mocha
  • rayw89
    rayw89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I made a "frappucino" with vanilla Muscle Milk, an instant coffee packet, cashew milk, and ice. It was delicious. I'll be trying the bulk vanilla protein powder from Sam's Club soon, hopefully it is good. It think it is 140 calories per scoop, and 20 grams of protein.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I just found CHIKE protein powder coffee (they have mocha and the regular) I like both, but LOVE the regular...it tastes like General Foods Intl Coffee in French Vanilla. I have used it as a coffee creamer (then used a hand-held immersion to quickly mix it (also with milk in the coffee), but my fave is to use 5 oz almond milk, 4 oz water and 1.5 scoops of the CHIKE. YUM. Cold is BEST. YOu can use it with blended ice too!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    rayw89 wrote: »
    I made a "frappucino" with vanilla Muscle Milk, an instant coffee packet, cashew milk, and ice. It was delicious. I'll be trying the bulk vanilla protein powder from Sam's Club soon, hopefully it is good. It think it is 140 calories per scoop, and 20 grams of protein.

That sounds horrific. Sorry. I've done quite a few things with protein powder, but I gotta say, that sounds awful.

Any and all of them. If I want a latte, I'll just have a latte. I get the protein powder thing, but that one doesn't sound appealing at all.
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I buy the Premier Protein shakes from Costco. Chocolate flavored. I also like to buy coffee concentrate. (Coolbrew - it is a southern thing. I am not sure how widely available it is.)

I will mix an ounce or two of my coffee concentrate with the chocolate shake. It is great! 164 kcal in all. 30 grams of protein.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I buy the Premier Protein shakes from Costco. Chocolate flavored. I also like to buy coffee concentrate. (Coolbrew - it is a southern thing. I am not sure how widely available it is.)

I will mix an ounce or two of my coffee concentrate with the chocolate shake. It is great! 164 kcal in all. 30 grams of protein.

That sounds less bad taste wise. lol
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options

That sounds horrific. Sorry. I've done quite a few things with protein powder, but I gotta say, that sounds awful.

Any and all of them. If I want a latte, I'll just have a latte. I get the protein powder thing, but that one doesn't sound appealing at all.

I disagree. I have made plenty a protein smoothie with instant coffee and it is delicious.

Personally I use ON Whey double chocolate or vanilla ice cream flavor. I would but iced coffee and just mix it in. Have to really shake it up but it's pretty good.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »

I disagree. I have made plenty a protein smoothie with instant coffee and it is delicious.

Personally I use ON Whey double chocolate or vanilla ice cream flavor. I would but iced coffee and just mix it in. Have to really shake it up but it's pretty good.

I'll believe you. But what she described didn't sound good AT ALL.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options

I'm writing that down for my trip to FL. Have to find some of that - sounds great!
  • jpkrueger
    jpkrueger Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I want to have protein iced coffee for breakfast. I am looking for something that is low calorie. I tried the chocolate Shakeology and HATED it. It's too sweet with a gross after taste. Is there one out there that taste better or is that how they all taste? I have been looking at the Body Fortress Whey but if it's super sweet like the Shakeology I don't want to waste the money on it. Which one do you all use?

I'm a lover of all things chocolate, yet I wasn't a big fan of the chocolate Shakeology. I love the vanilla Shakeology though. It's not an overwhelming taste, and is also great as a base if you want to add fruit, peanut butter, etc. I just switched my monthly order from chocolate to vanilla.
  • itschanelle
    itschanelle Posts: 86 Member
    Options

I buy starbucks bottled unsweetened iced coffee and blend it with 100% Whey protein (vanilla), unsweetened almond milk, and ice. Sometimes I add half a banana. It's amaze balls.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I use muscle milk. Out of all the proteins I've tried it tastes the best and its low in carbs & sugar. All of the flavors are good. I haven't added coffee to it, but I think it would probably taste good that way too.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Most regular protein powder isn't sweet. I mix whatever vanilla I have (Optimum Nutrition is the best though) with a cup of regular brewed coffee (cooled down), ice, and about a half cup of milk. I also add a spoonful of splenda but obviously skip that if you don't like it sweet.
  • cheezels83
    cheezels83 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I use egg protein powder, vanilla flavoured. I mix it with unsweetened almond milk and a teaspoon or two of instant coffee. Shake it up. Tastes great.
  • rayw89
    rayw89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I buy starbucks bottled unsweetened iced coffee and blend it with 100% Whey protein (vanilla), unsweetened almond milk, and ice. Sometimes I add half a banana. It's amaze balls.

I've been wondering how a banana would be added to it, now I'll definitely have to try it!
  • joshuapowell1989
    joshuapowell1989 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have MyProtein unflavoured Whey, with Mocha Flav Drops.
    Add to cold Water / Milk. lovely! Cures my cravings for iced coffees!
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I pull a double shot espresso and let it chill in the fridge, then mix it with skim milk and a scoop of coffee protein powder (and sometimes some ice cream). Quantities will vary depending on how strong/thick you like it.

I don't know if the protein I use ships to the US though, so you'll have to try a couple to see which one you like best.
  • 53welshlady
    53welshlady Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I make a large espresso (200ml), chill in fridge then add my normal unflavoured whey protein powder to it and shake it up. Started doing this when I ordered the unflavoured powder by mistake. I don't add any milk or anything as I normally have my coffee black and unsweetened anyway. Shake it up again between sips as it tends to settle and is more pleasant when frothy.
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Wow lots of ideas here that I can't wait to try. For those who use muscle milk is that the powder or the pre made bottles that you use?
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I've tried a lot of powders and the absolute best one I've found is Plant Fusion Protein Blend:

Complete protein made only from plant sources.
    Infused BCAAs and L-Glutamine to support muscle strenth and energy.
    Gluten-free, lactose-free and very easy to mix and digest.
    Proprietary enzyme blend supporting maximum absorption without stomach irritation.
    Low glycemic load.
    Cholesterol free.
    100% natural / non-gmo.
    22g of conentrated protein in one 30g scoop.
    Comes in different flavors, my favorite is vanilla bean. I mix it in coffee, plain yogurt and anything else that needs a little extra kick. Not overly sweet... in fact very mild and just delicious! You don't even need a blender, just pour the powder in your liquid of choice and shake.

Nutritional Info:
    Calories: 120 per serving (one scoop - 30g)
    Fat: 2g
    Sodium: 390g
    Potassium: 60g
    Total carbs: 4g
    Total sugar: 4g (from fructose)
    Protein: 21g (42%)
    Amino acid infused protein blend: 21,000mg - including - Pea protein isolate, artichoke protein, organic sprouted amaranth and quinoa powder.
    Also includes 4,500mg of your BCAAs (L's)