Help!

Options
Need help learning how to run because after two minutes I'm dying.. lol. Any tips?

Replies

• KyleeNicolle
    KyleeNicolle Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My friend tried this 6 week 5k training program (link below) and it was a huge success! Hopefully this helps you =)
    I am an avid runner, you can add me as a friend if you'd like!

http://www.feelgreatin8.com/feelgreatblog/5k-beginners-6-week-training-plan/
  • lonerockz
    lonerockz Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    When I started my biggest challenge was that I was not in good enough shape to really do a lot of the beginner exercises. I'd read things like "Run for 5 minutes" which sounds easy, but if you haven't ran for 20 years... well its freaking hard. So basically I said, hey anything is better than nothing. Rather than running for 5 minutes I'd walk the same distance that a 5 minute run would be. Sure it took me 8-10 minutes, but he it was better than standing still. I kept upping the distance, or trying to make the same distance in a shorter time and the pounds started coming off. I still don't run (bad knees) but I can do the elliptical at the gym now (for a full hour if I have time).

I did find a nice calisthenic routine that was easy to start with here: http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/workout

I started with that (had to make some easier, or less reps to start) and now have moved on to much harder exercises. No one likes to fail.

Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • aleinonen386
    aleinonen386 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much!
  • gsxrguy03
    gsxrguy03 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just keep trying. There will be times where you have to stop and walk, but jog when you can and walk when you need to. Perseverance pays off.
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Interval training. It's what I personally found gave me the biggest, fastest improvements when starting out.
    Good luck!
  • Michael5482
    Michael5482 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Need help learning how to run because after two minutes I'm dying.. lol. Any tips?

Hi try 5k runner app available for smart phones and androids worked for me last year
  • MikeLeTwigg
    MikeLeTwigg Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    run for 2mins then walk for 2mins and repeat. Just don't stop, go as slow as you want but keep moving (unless of course something is wrong). As you feel more comfortable increase the 2mins running and before you know it you won't need stop.
  • fattofitmona
    fattofitmona Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started as a non runner and now I worked my way up to running for 35 mins straight. Do a 5K program. There are bunch of free apps available. I did one called Couch to 5K!