Exclusively breastfeeding mama's?

Options
If your an ebf mom how many calories are you eating daily?

Replies

• hncary
    hncary Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure MFP has an option to select if you are breastfeeding to help

This article may help go more in depth for what you are looking for though. Everyone's calories will vary depending on their height/weight and how much they are trying to lose so you'll want to adjust to your needs

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-calories-fluids/
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Usually you need between 300-500 a day extra but it depends on how often you're breastfeeding and how old your baby is. My baby is 4 months old and usually I eat 300 a day extra, but I'm thinking about increasing back to 400-500 because i've been losing weight so quickly. My milk supply has been fine though. I also eat back half of my exercise calories so usually I eat around 2000 calories a day.
  • MaryJI2015
    MaryJI2015 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank-you ladies my Baby is about to be 8 months he is ebf and I have my calories set at weight-loss 1 pound a week which is 1600 then I add breastfeeding 500 calories which comes out @2100 I'm just trying to compare that is all I've done the research.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, your 8 month old is exclusively breastfed?
  • MaryJI2015
    MaryJI2015 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yes he is I know by his age he should be eating solids/purees but he's just not interested and I'm not going to force him to eat it.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to clarify, I assume your dr is onboard and I'm not gonna give you unwanted advice as it's not my place, just wanted to check.

I would def give yourself at least 500 for an ebf 8 month old as they require a lot more calories than a younger baby (which is one of the reasons introduction of solids by 6 months is recommended). 2100 sounds like a good place to start, maybe do that for a few weeks and see how things go, if no weight loss at all, slowly reduce a bit more.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    My 6 month old is ebf and I eat 2000-2300 calories a day. I also work out 4x's a week. I'm not actively trying to lose weight, but have lost a lb in the last month.
  • Stacyandsilas
    Stacyandsilas Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 month old who is EBF. MFP Is set to 1450 but if I'm still hungry I will have a healthy snack since I'm breastfeeding. Hasn't seemed to hurt my supply.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    MaryJI2015 wrote: »
    Yes he is I know by his age he should be eating solids/purees but he's just not interested and I'm not going to force him to eat it.

My second was 9 months before I introduced solids. She was very premature and it didn't occur to me until our 9 month well baby check that she was capable. She survived just fine without the solids, although maybe she'd be less clingy now if I'd cut her off sooner...