New diabetic: need friends for weight loss motivation and maybe some advice :)

Options
jenniferlandaverde
jenniferlandaverde Posts: 6 Member
edited May 2015 in Introduce Yourself
Hello friends, my name is Jennifer and I'm 25 years old. I've recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and have had to do a lot of lifestyle changes. My goal is to manage my diabetes through diet and exercise. I also need to lose about 100lbs! Please add me if you have similar goals, advice, or just need more supportive mfp friends.

Replies

• Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat you are. 100 lbs over weight and I was diagnosed a month ago with type two diabetes. I did a lot of research on which foods to eat and how often. I've cut out all the junk foods and sodas and now I'm on a whole foods diet. That bad thing is I injured my back right before I was diagnosed so it has limited any heavy weight lifting or vigorous cardio. So right now I'm doing 30 min of treadmill every morning at an easy pace and upper body on the weight lifting until my back starts to feel a little better. I'm eager to ramp up to a more vigorous routine but I'm trying to take it slow and steady as long as I am continuing to lose weight. I've lost 14 pounds in the last month by just eating healthy whole foods and a limited exercise routine. I try and keep my calories around 1200 and my carbs less than 30.
  • jenniferlandaverde
    jenniferlandaverde Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 14 lbs! I'm having a real hard time on cutting down on the carbs, but I have cut out soda and junk food as well. I'm doing some lifting and cardio, but I haven't really seen a change in my weight. I have however had lower blood sugar since I started exercising a few weeks ago so that's good. :)