going below calorie allowance

Options
I have been doing MFP for about 2 weeks. On most days I am under the 1270 calorie allowance and I feel like I am eating healthy and I actually am not hungry (although some days a little heavy on the carbs). Should I still eat even when I not hungry to make sure my body doesn't go into starvation mode and then it stops my weightloss progess?

Replies

• KateCon912
    KateCon912 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    nope.
  • RachelJE
    RachelJE Posts: 172
    Options
    Eat all your calories, but don't stuff yourself.
  • cupcake868
    cupcake868 Posts: 7
    Options
    I wouldn't. As long as your not hungry and your eating healthy, I think its fine. Good job,keep it up.
  • theostlerscat
    theostlerscat Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    After several months, I am consistently 200-300 calories under the Net Goal. I am still not sure if I should be going by calories consumed or Net Calories when I consider my daily intake for the purpose of weight loss. I am finding that, in spite of coming in under net calories every day (I do consume calories at goal, I just don't net at goal), I am not loosing weight very fast. In fact, I am shocked at how slow weight loss is going.

I would love to hear some opinion about being under "net goal" as well. I don't think it is working for me, but I am afraid to increase calories because I am afraid to gain weight.

If it makes any difference, I am only trying to loose the last 10 "vanity" pounds.
  • butterfly0126
    Options
    I struggled with this myself a couple of weeks ago and i found what worked for me was eating half if not all my burned calories back and then i started loosing weight faster then i was before doing it the wrong way ( i plateaued for a bit) . I wouldn't suggest stuffing yourself but what i do now is planning my meals the morning of and sometimes the night before, including my exercise. I would say try and see what works for you, everyone is different.
  • skizzizme
    skizzizme Posts: 14
    Options
    After several months, I am consistently 200-300 calories under the Net Goal. I am still not sure if I should be going by calories consumed or Net Calories when I consider my daily intake for the purpose of weight loss. I am finding that, in spite of coming in under net calories every day (I do consume calories at goal, I just don't net at goal), I am not loosing weight very fast. In fact, I am shocked at how slow weight loss is going.

I would love to hear some opinion about being under "net goal" as well. I don't think it is working for me, but I am afraid to increase calories because I am afraid to gain weight.

If it makes any difference, I am only trying to loose the last 10 "vanity" pounds.

I am in the same boat. Just don't give up!
    7034275.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'm under, sometimes I'm over. I wouldn't sweat it. Do what feels good for you. as long as you feel sufficiently fueled, then you are doing right by your body!
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options

There are threads asking if one should eat one's exercise cals, if it's OK to be under on your MFP NET cals, etc all the time, and opinions will vary some, but it depends heavily on how overweight you are. For you, losing 10 vanity lbs, your weight loss will be very slow. At most 0.5 lbs/week. Your body does not want to let go of vanity pounds because it perceives you as healthy and not needing to lose anything. It will be hard and slow. Trying to force the issue and speed things up by lowering your calories will not help. You're going to have to be patient, eat more, and make sure to exercise to create a modest deficit of 500 (at most) calories per day. Don't go under your NET calories, it will just make you lose absolutely nothing. (When you have a *lot* to lose you can get away with it temporarily.)
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Eat your calories...and as much of your exercise calories as is possible.

Fullness is partially a result of how big of portions your stomach is used to. It's no indicator of what your body needs whatsoever. Many people who begin dieting, have been eating like birds for so long, their stomach is half the size of someone who eats normal portions on a regular basis. Haven't you ever seen the stick skinny guy at the buffet carrying 3 plates of food back to his table? Those aren't for his friends or family I can assure you =p.

You can rise up to it gradually if you like...but the closer you are, the better off you'll be. Your stomach will stretch a bit to accomodate. Also realize that, from my experience...this program tends to undercalculate your necessary calories (this part is important!) as compared to OTHER sites. That doesn't mean it's wrong...it just means that many other places would tell you to eat even MORE lol.

Cris
  • kimark1
    kimark1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for your insight!
  • kimark1
    kimark1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Still seeing lots of things about starvation mode and how it can use muscle mass and not burn off fat. On average I could be 100-300 calories under my daily allowance. Is this a critical issue that I should be concerned about?