Running Two Days in a row?

igora_soma
igora_soma Posts: 486
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
I am just starting to get into running, I had to take a few days off because of a bad cold. I'd like to make it up by running today and tomorrow.

Good idea or bad idea?

Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• mom2dms
    mom2dms Posts: 152 Member
    I am a creature of habit! When I started running in Feb. I ran every day. I knew it took a while for me to form the habit and knew if I made an excuse not to, I could easily do it again the next day. Listen to your body. If you are in pain, don't run...walk that day. My trainer says you have to take at least one day off a week in order for your body to recover and recoop.

I'd say go for it!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Bad idea - even if your heart and lungs can handle it, your muscles, ligaments, tendons and bones need to strengthen and heal from the pounding you are putting them through. You really shouldn't run more than every other day when you first start out.
  • jmafte
    jmafte Posts: 46
    I do some form of cardio, usually an elliptical 5-7 days a week. You won't find many that will say running multiple days in a row is a bad thing, unless as already mentioned, you body is in pain.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,728 Member
    I think (not an expert) that you can do any aerobic/toning activities on consecutive days. The only thing you are not supposed to do 2 days in a row is work the same muscle with heavy weights. That's because heavy weight lifting rips the muscle and it needs to rebuild itself. The exercises like 30DS, which use light weights don't do that, so it's okay to do them without a break. Except, you always need to take at least one day off each week.
  • laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Make sure you do some great stretching before and after your runs. I ran and ran and ran and ran, and then one day out of the blue, with no warning, I developed a shin split. It was quite painful, and I was off running for four weeks. My chiropractor was able to help me heal faster, and the stretches have now kept the shin splint away. Make sure you stretch your calves, quads and hamstrings.
    Good Luck!
    6143704.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    When I training for a 10k I would run for an hour every day. I felt great!
    It's not like weight training where you need to give the muscles a day to let the muscles heal. I've never heard anything wrong with doing cardio two days in a row.

Of course, listen to your body. If you are too sore, don't go. If you feel like you've got a pulled muscle or anything, don't go. And do give yourself a day to rest every once in a while.
  • I agree with listen to your body. I think running two days in a row is fine as long as you are giving your body that time it needs to recoup. I find with myself my running improves when I break it up, try a spin class on your second day to get your cardio in. There quick, burn almost the same amount of calories, and easy on the knees.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I think it depends on the amount of running you're talking about. If you just started running, and you're planning to do five miles two days in a row... probably not a good idea. If you just started running and you're on the first week or so of couch to 5k, where you're only running a total of about 10 minutes of the workout, I think that'd be fine as long as you're not hurting.
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm building up to longer distances so I'm only out for about 30-35 minutes and running for about half of it. I will definitely make sure to stretch well before and after :)

Any other running tips?
  • RiaLucia
    RiaLucia Posts: 121
    Well, there are people who run just about every day, so it's probably fine. However, the people who *do* run every day are probably conditioned to it. If you're a newbie, you may want to break it up OR maybe one day go nice and easy for distance, and the next work on speed.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Most running coaches recommend that you don't run every day...especially if you're training for a longer distance or a beginner runner. It is cardio, yes, but running is very hard on your body, and like weight-training, your muscles DO need a little bit of time to recover. My C25K running coach had us running 3 days/week and doing weight training on alternate days...so I'd do weights Mon, Wed, Fri, run on Tues, Thurs., and Sat., and rest on Sun.
This discussion has been closed.