Cardio or weights, is cardio a waste of time for me?

Options
bendyourkneekatie
bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So as part of my weight loss and fitness journey, I've joined the gym. I've always loved the gym and am very excited to get back into it after a few years' absence.
I used to be a mad les mills fan, and while I've spent plenty of time in the past on the floor of the gym, both on cardio and weights, I've spent much more doing attack, pump, and step.
Whilst I very much enjoy these classes, I feel like they're not going to give me the results I want in the time I have available to workout. Realistically, I'm going to only be able to make it to the gym 3 times a week. I walk on average 10,000 steps a day, pushing a double pram, and spend the rest of it running after a toddler and an almost-walking-baby.
So my plan is to lift. The welcome-to-the-gym guy was useless, doing the opposite of what I asked and setting me up a light-weight routine (words like "bulky" and "feminine" we're used.

Replies

• MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I'm of the opinion that, if you only have X amount of time available to go to the gym, use that time to hit the weights. Cardio's something that can pretty easily be done at or around home in your spare time (like jogging, exercise vids, dancing, etc.) but, unless you have a well-equipped home gym, it's much harder to strength train at home. If I had to choose between the two, that's the route I'd go anyway. :)

Also, I agree. Bro sounds completely useless- and clueless.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I'm a HUGE les mills fan, but totally +1 on hitting the weights. It does sound like you get plenty of physical activity all day long, thus fulfilling any cardio needs. Great job!
  • bendyourkneekatie
    Options
    why do half my posts keep disappearing when I post??? Grr... And I can't even add anything when I edit...*
    I'm seeing a pt later this week to set something up, but in the interim I've done a couple of pump classes, and today I did attack. It was awesome. I remember now why I used to love it so much.
    I would really like to go to this class each week, but I don't want to waste my time if a minimum of 3 weight sessions a week is needed to achieve anything worthwhile. I really wish I could go more, but that's not gonna happen for a good while.
    wdyt?

To the previous 2 posters, thanks! Yeah, that's what I thought! Drat
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I agree. Spend the time you have in the gym hitting the weights. You can do cardio on your own time outside the gym. A great way to do cardio, and not spend a lot of time, is 10-15 second sprints. Go as hard as you can (as long as your knees are alright) with ~1-2 minutes of rest in between. After 4-5 sets, you'll be spent.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If you want to do weights...go for it.

Ignore the "bulky" thing

check out these programs which are great for beginners.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
    and

New rules of lifting for women (book)
    Starting Strength - similar to SL but it has power cleans eventually as opposed to rows.
  • Susanna5781
    Susanna5781 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been having success with doing about 10 mins of cardio to get my heart rate elevated, then hitting the weights hard for the rest of my session. Sometimes I will do a short burst of cardio again if my heart rate gets low, for instance on upper body day.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • kelziemba
    kelziemba Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi just curious....being a gym newbie, what is meant here when people are talking about hitting the weights? Do you mean free weights or the weight/resistance machines? Also, what is meant by "lifting heavy" and "HIIT"?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    everybody will have their own definition

many will follow structured programmes like stronglifts 5 x 5 .. which is compound exercises and barbells
    also Strong Curves, NROLFW and ice cream fitness and more

- deadlifts, bench presses, squats, clean and push

others will do isolation exercises with free weights - barbells / dumb-bells

and some will use the machines ... still beneficial but slightly less so

everybody means, I think, progressive resistance training though .. going heavier and heavier

HIIT - is high intensity interval training like walking on the treadmill interspersed with minutes at high run speed

Lifting heavy means just that ..
  • glutenfreechic
    glutenfreechic Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    katem999 wrote: »
    why do half my posts keep disappearing when I post??? Grr... And I can't even add anything when I edit...*
    I'm seeing a pt later this week to set something up, but in the interim I've done a couple of pump classes, and today I did attack. It was awesome. I remember now why I used to love it so much.
    I would really like to go to this class each week, but I don't want to waste my time if a minimum of 3 weight sessions a week is needed to achieve anything worthwhile. I really wish I could go more, but that's not gonna happen for a good while.
    wdyt?

This is happening to my posts too! It's infuriating! Also, I love love love les mills classes but i agree, weights will get you the shaping results you want and the rest days in between will be perfect for optimal results
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    kelziemba wrote: »
    Hi just curious....being a gym newbie, what is meant here when people are talking about hitting the weights? Do you mean free weights or the weight/resistance machines? Also, what is meant by "lifting heavy" and "HIIT"?

rabbitjbrabbitjb has explained most of this but lifting heavy is basically lifting a weight that feels heavy to the point where you can only lift it for a few times (12 times or less, in some cases people would go as heavy as 3-5 times depending on the program they use)

It could be machines, but most prefer free weights for various reasons. Hitting the weights is basically adopting a progressive resistance routine using weights (progressive means that the weight you are lifting keeps increasing with time to build more strength)

OP I also agree with everyone. If your gym time is limited then it's best to do weights. You can do cardo anywhere any times whenever you are free since it does not require equipments.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    wdyt?

How long did you take these classes? Did they have a positive effect on your body? I go as heavy as in can in BodyPump and to be honest that's all the weights I do, plus all the body weight stuff in both classes and other Les Mills ones...
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Another vote for weights in the gym ...cardio can be done on the non gym days at home. Tons of workouts on YouTube ...check out fitnessblender as well for HIIT workouts too. Best wishes
  • losingitseattle
    losingitseattle Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I know I'm going to touch a few nerves here but as a fitness instructor, classes like Pump are more for building muscle endurance than strength, though if you are just coming off the couch, your first 12 weeks of classes, some studies show you may produce some strength gains. Beyond that, IMO and experience, you will need to get out of class, up your weights, lessen your reps. That being said, if you love it and you'd do nothing if you didn't do it, then love and forget the haters. Just educate yourself on what you can truly achieve with it.

http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/bodypump-group-exercise-does-it-work-or-not

http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/pump-fiction (LOL that I am referencing Shape Magazine as I feel they put out more misinformation than anything!)

On the cardio vs weights, you will get as many opinions as that as there are people in the fitness business. But here's some sound advice losing fat, getting lean and where cardio and strength fit into that.

http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/the-best-research-on-body-fat-losing-fat-and-eating-fat
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    There were haters here?
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Do both. Lift, do some cardio, do some classes once in a while. If I had a choice with a small amount of time, I would lift heavy. Cardio can be done anywhere.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I know I'm going to touch a few nerves here but as a fitness instructor, classes like Pump are more for building muscle endurance than strength, though if you are just coming off the couch, your first 12 weeks of classes, some studies show you may produce some strength gains. Beyond that, IMO and experience, you will need to get out of class, up your weights, lessen your reps. That being said, if you love it and you'd do nothing if you didn't do it, then love and forget the haters. Just educate yourself on what you can truly achieve with it.

http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/bodypump-group-exercise-does-it-work-or-not

http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/pump-fiction (LOL that I am referencing Shape Magazine as I feel they put out more misinformation than anything!)

On the cardio vs weights, you will get as many opinions as that as there are people in the fitness business. But here's some sound advice losing fat, getting lean and where cardio and strength fit into that.

http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/the-best-research-on-body-fat-losing-fat-and-eating-fat

Agree. Not a fitness instructor or educated in fitness but from personal experience, those classes never helped me meet fat loss goals. High weights, small reps along with good food and some light cardio gave me the best results.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You have a goal and you understand how to get there. Weights. Spend your time at the gym strength training. You can always add in cardio when you have a little free time outside of the gym.

You just reminded me I haven't done cardio in 3 weeks...dang.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    Options
    Do both. Lift, do some cardio, do some classes once in a while.

If I could, I would, but I'm incredibly limited time wise. But I do try to fit in as much incidental cardio as I can.

I have no intention of continuing with pump, it was attack that I wished I could continue. Pump, while enjoyable, was also hilarious. I was the youngest person in the room and everyone except my mum had atrocious form. I think pump's great for my mum's demographic, or at least it would be if they focussed more on technique. For me, nope. Fingers crossed the pt I'm seeing tomorrow can help me get started on 5x5.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Do both. Lift, do some cardio, do some classes once in a while.

If I could, I would, but I'm incredibly limited time wise. But I do try to fit in as much incidental cardio as I can.

I have no intention of continuing with pump, it was attack that I wished I could continue. Pump, while enjoyable, was also hilarious. I was the youngest person in the room and everyone except my mum had atrocious form. I think pump's great for my mum's demographic, or at least it would be if they focussed more on technique. For me, nope. Fingers crossed the pt I'm seeing tomorrow can help me get started on 5x5.

Yeah!