Leg Exercises

Options
Hi! Really keen to find out which leg exercises work for you in terms of slimming/toning (my legs are kinda large compared to my waist!!). At the moment I incorporate cardio with stepper/stair climber/squats/leg press/lunges, but feel like it's not enough. Thanks :)

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Looks like you are doing fine: here is some of mine:

weighted squats, jump body squats, single leg squats, side lunge and cross over tap, walking lunges and reverse walking lunges and I like to do calf raises as well. You could try doing these in a circuit to make them a little more challenging and fun..

You cannot spot reduce just your legs so the idea is to lose weight and the fat around the legs can start to diminish fat so that the definition will start to show as you build up some muscle. This takes time and a bit of effort and with patience and make sure you work the rest of your body, need nice arms, stomach and strong core...
  • katiejanecollins
    katiejanecollins Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Looks like you are doing fine: here is some of mine:

weighted squats, jump body squats, single leg squats, side lunge and cross over tap, walking lunges and reverse walking lunges and I like to do calf raises as well. You could try doing these in a circuit to make them a little more challenging and fun..

You cannot spot reduce just your legs so the idea is to lose weight and the fat around the legs can start to diminish fat so that the definition will start to show as you build up some muscle. This takes time and a bit of effort and with patience and make sure you work the rest of your body, need nice arms, stomach and strong core...

Thanks Gia :) At the moment I do the following to mix it up a bit:

Monday: cardio/legs
    Wednesday: legs/arms
    Friday: cardio
    Saturday: abs
    Sunday: legs

I don't have too much to lose around my middle & arms, so hopefully the work will take effect on my legs soon enough :smiley:
  • Rob_in_MI
    Rob_in_MI Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Squats, stiff legged deadlifts, and lunges will cover it all.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    robertrau wrote: »
    Squats, stiff legged deadlifts, and lunges will cover it all.

Pretty much this.

But keep in mind, slimming/toning is just a fancy word for body fat loss. And body fat loss is determined by genetics. So don't do yourself a disservice by concentrating on just legs. If you are fairly new to weight lifting, you are much better off doing 3 full body routines that concentrate on progressive overload. Overall, your results will be much better.
  • katiejanecollins
    katiejanecollins Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thanks all :)