Nutritional Values of K-Cups?

Options
sunrise611
sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
Where the heck are the nutritional values of k-cups and why are they so hard to find?

Shouldn't the nutritional information be provided on the boxes?

I am entering Millstone Breakfast Blend into my diary and someone entered it in the database as having 3 calories. I have no idea if that's correct and there are no confirmations.

And they don't appear to have the information on their website either:

http://www.millstone.com/fair-trade-certified-k-cup-packs/default.aspx

Some of the flavored ones might have calories that can add up if you drink more than one cup and add creamer.

Replies

• dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    According to the database there are a couple calories in a cup of brewed coffee. See Coffee brewed from grounds.
    Looked up Starbucks menu online and a 16 oz black coffee (pike place roast) has 5 calories. A k-cup of regular ground coffee is just an 8oz single serving, so 2.5-3 calories would be about right.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    "Coffee, Generic, K-cup"

It's single digit calories, iirc 4 or 5.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Just the coffee ones have only a few calories - the ones like Chai tea or Hot Chocolate have significantly more. Any creamer you add would of course add calories - so count for that.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Found this little article that was interesting: http://lajollamom.com/2011/08/keurig-k-cup-portion-pack-promo-code/

Ignore the promo part - that obviously expired but it does explain why nutritionals are so hard to find...
  • sunrise611
    Options
    Interesting article Thanks!

If coffee has a few calories, I would think it shouldn't be exempt from federal regulations as the article claims.

I dunno ...
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    It's not going to give you a calorie count that would include creamers and sweeteners because everyone puts in different amounts. If you really think about coffee though...its basically flavored water. Have 2-3 calories is definitely accurate.
  • vallemic
    vallemic Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this just the other day! I drink 2-3 flavored k-cups a day!
  • sunrise611
    Options
    It's not going to give you a calorie count that would include creamers and sweeteners because everyone puts in different amounts. If you really think about coffee though...its basically flavored water. Have 2-3 calories is definitely accurate.

No, of course not. I always count creamer and anything else that's added separately.

I just want to know what the coffee itself is and if they add flavors that add calories to it, I should know how much even if it's "only" 2 or 3 calories. If I have several cups a day, it adds up.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

No, of course not. I always count creamer and anything else that's added separately.

I just want to know what the coffee itself is and if they add flavors that add calories to it, I should know how much even if it's "only" 2 or 3 calories. If I have several cups a day, it adds up.

I can't speak for the flavored kinds...I don't know if there is sugar added to those...but for standard coffee its no different than tea. It's simply flavored water.
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others to just use the value for brewed coffee. It's 4 calories in 12 oz.

If you stress out over whether your cup of coffee is 3 calories or 4, this program is going to drive you insane. Just saying. There is just no way to accurately count everything you eat down to the calorie. Even retail packaging is allowed to be off by up to 20% in either direction.
  • rcarri
    rcarri Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just calculate it as regular coffee.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I just use my phone and scan the barcode on the box.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I drink Coffee People Donut Shop k-cups daily and there is like 2 calories in 9 oz. but we also have like swiss miss k-cups and a serving of that is more like 70 calories..... There just isn't that many calories in just brewed coffee....
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Flavored coffee might have a miniscule amount more essential oils, but it's probably too low to measure. Coffee and tea are just about the only things I don't put in my diary. The calorie or two from a cup of coffee is down in the noise. The labels on food are only accurate within +/- 20% anyway, so I don't worry about 5 calories when my total for the day may be off by as much as 400 calories to start with. None of this is an exact science.

Measure with a micrometer. Mark with a piece of chalk. Cut with an axe.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    If you stress out over whether your cup of coffee is 3 calories or 4, this program is going to drive you insane.

Agreed.

Black coffee never made anyone fat. Don't sweat the small stuff.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    i'm a kcup newbie.....but i've been logging my k cups as "brewed coffee decaffeinated" i think it's called in the database.....as i'd have to assume that's what the basic consistency of the magical powders within these plastic cups basically is......? lol.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I admit I don't log coffee. At the end of the day, it's probably 10 calories, so it's not the end of the world I guess.
  • lizznagelmiller
    lizznagelmiller Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    cmayfield3 wrote: »
    I agree with the others to just use the value for brewed coffee. It's 4 calories in 12 oz.

If you stress out over whether your cup of coffee is 3 calories or 4, this program is going to drive you insane. Just saying. There is just no way to accurately count everything you eat down to the calorie. Even retail packaging is allowed to be off by up to 20% in either direction.

I agree with this. If it says 0 and you just have a few cups that ok. I set my calorie goal to 1100 but my real goal is 1200 so if I go a little over 1100 I don't get upset but I'm pretty sure after slight incorrect labeling I'm not going over 1200.
  • sunrise611
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Some have calories added and some do not from what I have noticed. I don't sweat it but was just curious.