Weighing Eggs???

Options
leah4590
leah4590 Posts: 27 Member
This might be a mildly stupid question, but how do you weigh eggs? On the box of XL eggs we have, it says 100g is 150 calories, which is cool, but how exactly do I weigh out 100g of eggs? Do I weigh it raw? With shell? Without shell?

Or do I cook the thing I want to cook and them weigh it?

Basically, I want to make an omelette, but if I don't know the weight prior to cooking how can I work out what to have with it because I won't know how many calories I have left?

Ideally I'd like to weigh out how much egg I'll be using before cooking it, but I'm not sure if egg (like pasta) gains more weight when cooked??

Replies

• MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    weigh bowl and tare

crack the eggs into the bowl

weigh eggs

tare then add your milk and weigh milk

Whisk and cook. (if that's how you do your omelettes)
  • leah4590
    leah4590 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Fabulous, thank you! :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Weigh the part you're going to eat raw. If I make scrambled eggs, I dump them into the bowl on the scale. However it's trickier if I fry them, so I put the whole eggs on a plate, zero them out, then after I crack them into the pan I weigh the shells to see what is gone.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I have omelets for breakfast most days and have eggs of all sizes (from a farm), so I'm used to weighing them (the bowl method). At this point I am really good at predicting the size of an egg, so I tend to just estimate for hard-boiled or fried.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I actually don't weight mine…I just log the brand and size...
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    mine are fresh from the farm down the road. There are no "sizes" persay, so everything gets weighed.

my 3 eggs in the morning can vary by around 25g
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs everyday and just use the large egg entry. It's may be off by +/- 20 calories on any given day but I figure it all averages out in the long term.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    I eat eggs everyday and just use the large egg entry. It's may be off by +/- 20 calories on any given day but I figure it all averages out in the long term.

this is about where I fall on this- I eat anywhere from 4-10 eggs a day- I can't be bothered with that.
  • klwells08
    klwells08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »

This for me also. While I track everything and weigh a good number, I refuse to obsess over the tiny details. It is a slippery slope for me to becoming too obsessive and this taking over my entire life.