Giving it to God

Options
I am not ashamed of my faith, so if that kind of thing bugs you, you may not wish to read this blog.
Five and a half years ago was the first time in my adult life I reached a weight of under 200 pounds. I had been fat and miserable with no self-esteem from the time I got pregnant with my first child in 1981, until I got this weight off in 2009. People were constantly telling me how great I looked and how proud they were. I crossed over into one of those people who went from hating exercise to loving it. Logging food is fun for me, even though some have said I am in bondage to it. I could not believe I weighed 160 and could wear size 10. I had worn a size 20 for so long!
After menopause in Feb 2012, I started gaining around the mid-section and hip area. I gained 10, then 12, then 15 pounds over the past couple of years. To say I have obsessed over my weight is an understatement. The scale has dictated my mood. It has caused me to look at myself with a critical eye instead of appreciating how far I have come.
The other day, before I wrote the blog "I guess This is It," I had spent some time with Jesus, talking about it. It's not that it's wrong to try and lose weight. But it became the first thing I thought about every morning. Before prayer, before devotions, before anything -I would weigh or measure and I would start picking food out. I would feel depressed over the lack of progress in losing weight and then let it affect my feelings all day long.
I came to realize that to me, losing weight was a way of feeling loved and accepted. I have a fear that people will love me less or respect me less if I gain ANY of the weight back. All my friends know I work out all the time. I had this fear that they would look at me and think I must be lying. How can anyone work out that much and not look fit and thin?
I am very healthy now. The doctor told me I have practically cured myself of diabetes, and I take less than half the medication for it that I used to take. My blood pressure is excellent. My cholesterol is perfect.
Basically, I just don't want to put my physical appearance before my spiritual condition. And that is what I was doing. My priorities got messed up. I confessed, I repented. I decided to be happy at this weight and just continue taking care of me without obsessing over it.
Imagine my surprise this morning when I weighed and had finally broken below 170.
169.4!!! I just laughed and thanked the Lord. If I lose more, great, but if not, it's okay.
I am beautiful just the way I am.

Replies

• arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Hi. I try not to be ashamed of my faith, either. I am not a very brave person, though. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I think you are on the right track. I was never able to control my eating, and lose the weight by myself. When I finally was willing, God was there to help me.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    <3
  • HappyNinjaStar
    HappyNinjaStar Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    For mental health and positivity, sometimes giving it to God and focusing on the things you have direct control over is the only way to move forward. I completely understand the frustration, I've been working hard, exercising and monitoring everything that goes in my mouth and yet I'm gaining weight. Something's just wrong with my body since I had my second child. I've given it up to God and the doctors. Either I'll lose weight or not, but I will be happy in knowing that I'm being healthy.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear OP,

Faith based posted are better suited for groups. I am locking this thread for that reason.

15. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums

Divisive topics and posts, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion.
This discussion has been closed.