Starvation Mode - Interesting Science!

Options
Morning folks! (I know this is long, and will not 'solve' anything, but it is interesting nonetheless.)

I came over to this site a few weeks back from the old pen-and-paper methodology as I decided to assist my SO with a paper for med school during my weight loss process. While she was losing weight, she ran across countless warnings of starvation mode, and followed a proper healthy methodology for weight loss. Kudos to her! While discussing the topic one day, I stated my disbelief in starvation mode having a major impact, and a quarrel ensued. So, when the opportunity came up for her to test my theories with the backing of medical facilities (while using my own stubborness against me to prove my point while losing weight...tricky female gender...), she leapt at the option. So, for the last 8 weeks I have been tested every Friday to get some basic numbers together that I thought you folks may find interesting. But beforehand, the standard:

*****This is not a case study. This is not a statement of 'go do this'. This is applicable to one guy, me. Please do not take this as advice, consent, or an example. This was undertaken under medical observation. ETC ETC ETC I just thought some may find it interesting.*****

Ok, now that is out of the way, here is the deal. I essentially did everything *wrong* to lose weight as directed by the health community to argue the point that physics is physics. I went on a VLCD diet, I drank absolutely no water, ran off of 5-5.5 hours of sleep nightly, loaded myself with caffiene/diarhetics, paid no attention to macro/micronutrients, glared threateningly at puppies, didn't hold the door for people, and was a generally evil individual in the eyes of nutritionists everywhere. We did eight weeks of weekly testing on the following items: RMR, Body Fat %, and a super basic blood test to find nutrient levels. There were two attending doctors at the school that also did a basic physical each week to make sure I wasn't dying. All free in the name of science!

So, now for the statement. I've lost 43 pounds in 6 weeks. Per the docs, I am still healthy. I have no sagging skin, no twitches, no dizzy spells, am not overly exhausted (as a matter of fact, more energetic in comparison), and fit as a fiddle. I am currently raising my caloric intake in stages to ease into my target goal number. I did this with all of the above criteria. A collective gasp from the audience.

I'm not a scientist, nutritionist, doctor, health expert, or anything. So my words mean nothing. But I come with numbers from those peoples! Algebraic! I don't have every number in front of me as I am currently *hard at work* at the office, but here are the hard and fast big ticket numbers:

Week 1: Wgt - 238.6 lbs. Avg Daily Caloric Intake: 2837 RMR: 2321
Week 2: Wgt - 238.8 lbs. Avg Daily Caloric Intake: 2952 RMR: 2333
Week 3: Wgt - 231.2 lbs. Avg Daily Caloric Intake: 648 RMR: 2172
Week 4: Wgt - 225.7 lbs. Avg Daily Caloric Intake: 672 RMR: 2073 (~4% drop)
Week 5: Wgt - 218.6 lbs. Avg Daily Caloric Intake: 688 RMR: 1918 (~5% drop)
Week 6: Wgt - 212.6 lbs. Avg Daily Caloric Intake: 725 RMR: 1842 (~2% drop)
Week 7: Wgt - 202.2 lbs. Avg Daily Caloric Intake: 738 RMR: 1787 (negligible ~0%)
Week 8: Wgt - 195.5 lbs. Avg Daily Caloric Intake: 891 RMR: 1796 (~2% gain)

That brings us to today. First two weeks were to set a baseline to compare against, so I was obviously not doing everything wrong (in a weight loss sense) at that point. What's amazing to me is that "starvation mode" only took 11% off of my base RMR. And as I am climbing up into 'sane' numbers, it is almost recovering alongside (obviously cannot say that with one week of improvement, but it will be a month until tested again courtesy of summer, so the world may never know...).

As for digesting muscle, the weight I have lost has been at a 71% fat/29% lean tissue ratio practically consistently week to week. Higher than healthy methods, but nowhere near the rates proclaimed (for me personally obviously), and actually fairly close to the healthy methods of weight loss. Comically, my macro/micro nutrients all rose *substantially* during this process from a multivitamin nightly in comparison to the ~3k calories of food I ate normally.

So, we are calling it a draw (read as: there is no point in me arguing I am right even with science on my side, as I will lose regardless). I get two more tests done for free (one in July, and one in Sept) just to make sure everything is back to normal, so thats all of the weekly data we will really have from myself.

Currently I am in the process of getting my RMR back up by increasing intake slowly up to the 1600 range over the next 2.5 weeks. Once that stabilizes out, I can start creeping into maintenance mode. So no, I will not be going back to 3k in a week unless my body can sustain it via activity.

So, my personal belief, to each their own, seems to hold true for my own body. *Shrug* Anyhow, thought some folks may be interested in this as anecdotal as it is.

Replies

• psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    interesting indeed!! i totally believe in the starvation mode theory as i see it happening to me on occasion in my weight loss journey, however, people who "glare at puppies" clearly have some sort of defect in their makeup!! lol best of luck on your now healthier journey. thanks for an interesting read.
    Options
    Much obliged. I figured it was dry enough of a topic to try to sprinkle some sad attempts at humor in there. :P
  • bcpie
    bcpie Posts: 89
    Options
    I very much enjoyed reading this. :) hooray science
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    That was an interesting read - thanks for sharing. And I, too, appreciated the humor.
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the informative and entertaining post! I am very interested in hearing the continuing results of your personal experiment. I suppose I can forgive the glaring at puppies if it was done in the name of science! :bigsmile:
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    Great post, very interesting read - and I liked the humour in it as well, makes you want to keep reading.

I like the idea of being a generally evil person LOL - I'm already there in the mornings - though haven't found any puppies to glare at!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    So, my personal belief, to each their own, seems to hold true for my own body. *Shrug* Anyhow, thought some folks may be interested in this as anecdotal as it is.
    Thank you for sharing your success story.

I haven't been losing weight at anywhere near your rate, I've been on a similarly low calorie diet for 162 days during which I've lost 81 pounds. Like you, I feel healthier, have no loose skin, etc., etc.

A few thoughts:
    In addition to posting this information, I respect the approach that you took — it engenders confidence that your measurements are accurate with lends great credence to the results that you've posted.

Please chart your data and share your results.

One item that you did not share was your medical history. Were you "generally healthy"? Did you have any BP issues?

You did this "the right way" - with medical supervision.

And, the most impressive thing about this is…your attitude (it's pretty bloody funny, too). It's dogma-free.

One last item - you emphasize that this worked well for you and I'm glad that you did because this level of diet is not for everyone. I've been told that eating this level of net calories can be very hard on one's body and, just as important, it takes a lot will power and self-discipline.

Congratulations on a job well done!

Now, on to maintenance mode for the next 50 years! :-)
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your success story.

I haven't been losing weight at anywhere near your rate, I've been on a similarly low calorie diet for 162 days during which I've lost 81 pounds. Like you, I feel healthier, have no loose skin, etc., etc.

A few thoughts:
    In addition to posting this information, I respect the approach that you took — it engenders confidence that your measurements are accurate with lends great credence to the results that you've posted.

Please chart your data and share your results.

One item that you did not share was your medical history. Were you "generally healthy"? Did you have any BP issues?

You did this "the right way" - with medical supervision.

And, the most impressive thing about this is…your attitude (it's pretty bloody funny, too). It's dogma-free.

One last item - you emphasize that this worked well for you and I'm glad that you did because this level of diet is not for everyone. I've been told that eating this level of net calories can be very hard on one's body and, just as important, it takes a lot will power and self-discipline.

Congratulations on a job well done!

Now, on to maintenance mode for the next 50 years! :-)

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! Like everything in life, a little spice can liven up even the blandest fare! To the responses:

No puppies were actually glared at during the time period of this 'test'. I don't think it truly possible. As a matter of fact, fun fact Friday tip: Puppies can defuse even the most volatile of situations. It's true!

As for my rate of loss, I was actually a little surprised as well. It does not completely add up to the 3500 calories = a pound when you look at the RMR and compare the deficit. The most intriguing thing to me is my largest drop came the same week my 'starvation mode' peaked and levelled out. I can admit to being a bit more active in my daily life than my usual 'living statue' ways, but it is another little intriguing facet of the whole scenario that lends credence to the 'there is no such thing as a rule when it comes to the human body'. Fascinating little machine we've all been handed the keys to.

As for the approach, you can thank the lil' lady for that. We are both analytical people by nature (and too curious for our own good), but she measures according to the recipe...and I go by pinches, dashes, and to taste. That should explain the situation succinctly. :P

As far as charting, she has a gigundo excel spreadsheet that tracked everything that was being measured weekly that is only waiting on todays blood results to be 'complete'. I do have to admit I am a bit hesitant to post said chart, because as soon as you do something like that people see a chart and assume facts can be construed out of it. If anything, I think this trial shows that you can't really predict too much from general numbers, and in my usual style, you just have to go by what feels right. As far as diet/excercise, the last 2 weeks are on here and open, and I may go and backfill the rest this weekend as a reference. I'll probably throw the chart up once I get the greenlight from the keeper of the datakeys.

Medical history. I'm a healthy lad. I've always been on the heavier end of the spectrum, but my first 25 years I stayed around the 'Husky' level. The last 8 have been a steady inexorable march to my starting weight. BP was of course above average, but not in any redline danger areas at the start of this. I'm ex-military (chAir Force, but combat communications [essentially an IT guy that was handed a rifle and a spool of cable and told to not get killed while setting up a network] that did have me training more than most in my youth.) But once there were no longer people with fancy symbols on their sleeves and hats yelling at me to run...or people shooting at me that inspires amazing dexterity...I kept up with the intake and stopped moving.

This does take a lot of willpower/resolve, but I did have an unfair advantage from my early years. Part of my military training was 'survival school' in which I basically lived off of what I found. *THAT* sucked, as I cannot find my car keys every morning let alone edible items in the wild. But my greatest advice for any level of caloric reduction is this: Find a hobby you enjoy, and toss yourself into it full bore. You will be amazed at how quickly the days go by that you don't even think about your sacrifice.

As I caveat'd in the original post. I *WAS* under medical supervision on this. I do not recommend anyone just storming off and doing this on their own.

As for attitude, that's 90% of anything we do. Even the greatest party in the world can suck if you approach it all dour and cranky...but in the same vein, I've been to funerals that had everyone laughing. So I approach life in a very nonchalant manner (courtesy of living too many formative years with our friends in Italy during an economic boom). So the key is to enjoy each step along the way, regardless of which direction that path leads you. It makes life more entertaining, it's infectious, and not enough people do it anymore in my opinion! Celebrate the small victories big, and the big defeats even bigger!

And now for the hard part...keeping it off. :P
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Quite interesting indeed.
  • Clonekuh
    Clonekuh Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My favorite part is how dedicated/stubborn the both of you were to this to prove your side. Ha ha!
  • Kera885
    Kera885 Posts: 59
    Options
    I'm not claiming to know everything (or even close to it) about the science here, but supposedly this only applies to people who aren't considered obese by their BMI's. I think it's because the body can readily draw on fat stores and doesn't panic nearly as much as it would if a skinnier person (think just overweight, not obese) were to do it. Because in that instance, the body would feel the need to conserve more whereas on an obese person there's fuel to spare. That's why doctors will advise VLCD's in some instances where the patient is obese, morbidly obese or super obese. So unless you're taller than 6'3 that would've put you into that obese category to begin with. But like I said, I don't really know a whole lot about this, and if you and your friend have done that much research you probably know a lot more about this than I do, I just think it's interesting :)
  • daisylovespink
    daisylovespink Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, it is definitly "food" for thought. :)
  • sixxx
    sixxx Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing!
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Awesome awesome post. But, please undestand that starvation mode is a long process that happens to people who have been dieting for months and months.
  • deverez
    deverez Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the test.

I've always called B*S* on the 'starvation mode' myth. It's great that you measured the change in your RMR and your fat lost, and not just your reduction in bodyweight.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Shaun - I see you charted your weight.

Interesting results.

It looks like you went through a similar experience to me - "cycles" of weight loss consisting of a "loss phase" and a "recovery phase" (as I labeled them).

Check out

http://cbeinfo.net/weight.htm

and then check your chart. Similar deltas.
  • h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    How did the doctors test the actual RMR? I see estimates regularly, but I'd be curious how they determine the actual number.

Thanks!
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I would like to say that although it could have been a lot worse, over 20% muscle lost is not good.

Also, the spectrum of varing degrees of metabolic slowdown is extremely broad. The longer one stays at a large caloric deficit, whether through diet, exercise, or both, the greater a slowdown will occur. But like anything, genetics play a huge role in how any one persons body will react.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I would like to say that although it could have been a lot worse, over 20% muscle lost is not good.

Also, the spectrum of varing degrees of metabolic slowdown is extremely broad. The longer one stays at a large caloric deficit, whether through diet, exercise, or both, the greater a slowdown will occur. But like anything, genetics play a huge role in how any one persons body will react.

Yeah, I gotta say I would be pretty upset with almost 30% lean mass loss. And while you can look at it as only 11% decrease in RMR, that's not really indicative of actual loss. You dropped from ~2300 to ~1800. That's a 500 cal decrease overall. Now some of that is normal decrease, but still a 500 cal decrease in RMR? That would seriously derail anyone depending on usual BMR calculators for determining their deficit and would certainly result in overestimating necessary intake.

I don't think I would call it a wash. I'd call it a good reason to avoid VLCDs. JMO.
  • lennykat
    lennykat Posts: 89
    Options
    Very interesting indeed, but considering this was my life from January to April and I lost nothing I have to question it. I agree with lady hawk that the loss in lean tissue is high and unnerving.

I'll go back to what I've pondered before-- that "starvation mode" or some sort of it can make a significant impact on a person's weight loss goals...but the AMOUNT of impact probably has to do with how much a person is exercising. I can see it having more of an impact on a person who is burning 500+ calories a day working out.

Also, I would love to know if the numbers would be the same for a woman. Considering, biologically speaking, we were made to reproduce, maintain, and birth another human I can see how starvation mode might set in sooner. In the grand scheme of things everything would slow down to preserve life or the ability to make life. Also, the female body, I would think, would pull from lean muscle much sooner for the same reason: the preservation of the organs that enable our species to reproduce.

Just a thought.