Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Weight Loss and Scar Tissue

Backstory (shortened hopefully).

About 10 years ago (and 100 pounds ago) I had some major health issues which resulted in an extensive surgery into my intestines (I was cut wide open) and removal of some bits of my intestines. I have a scar that runs up and down my midsection that is roughly 12-16 inches long and about an inch wide. Very attractive *lol*.

About a year ago I started losing weight. I also started strength training. I have a long way to go but I lost 100 pounds. In the past couple of weeks my stomach has had some weird pain, sometimes sharp, mostly dull. At first I looked for bruises, anything to indicate what was going on. Then I noticed, it's all centered near the scar in my midsection.

So my question-has anyone else here lost a decent amount of weight AND had scar tissue? Did you have any pain issues as you lost?

I am planning to go see my doctor just in case, but I won't be able to get in to see him for at least a week.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    I have similar abdominal scars and have lost over 100 pounds and haven't had any associated pain.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    I have some on my legs and as I lost weight the inside firmed up/shrunk faster than the outside. The scar tissue was connecting the layers of my skin to the muscles and tendons. I had a few options that aren't available to you based on location that helped break up the internal scar tissue to separate my skin from my muscles. Hopefully your doctor can help you.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I'm betting some stretching and pulling at the scar site. I have a lot of loose skin now and if I do some vigorous movement, there's a lot of movement going on, LOL. I was demonstrating this contraption:

o-VIBRATING-BELT-570.jpg?4

I just have baby scars from laparoscopic surgery.

You'll get it checked out of course.
  • sallyah13
    sallyah13 Posts: 44 Member
    I have scar tissue from c-sections and have suffered from adhesions (painful pulling sensation). I go to a massage therapist and she tortures me and works some of it out and I feel a ton better after. It also makes my scar and what I affectionately call my c-section "shelf" much more flat and normal looking once it is worked on.
  • luvforever
    luvforever Posts: 502 Member
    Thanks for the responses! I'm really thinking it's likely scar tissue issues and hearing that some people have had similar kinda eases my mind (no worries, will still visit my doc)