Breastfeeding, fatty liver, gallbladder issues.

Options
ahilbert86
ahilbert86 Posts: 29 Member
I'm breastfeeding my 6 month old and need to lose weight. I also have fatty liver & gallstones. I'm a picky eater trying to branch out. I can't get into a nutritionist right now but I'm so confused between lowfat/low card and getting enough to keep my supply up! I'm also hypoglycemic.

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You do not need a ton of calories to maintain your supply, just do not starve yourself and eat a balanced diet, or your own body will suffer from e.g. missing calcium or iron etc. Exclusively breastfeeding burns 300-500 calories, so just calculating your maintenance calories and not eating back breastfeeding calories is enough to lose weight, as long as you log accurately. No need for low fat or low carb or low whatever unless the dr tells you to (I suspect low fat is a must when you have gallbladder issues), just reducing calories will do for weight loss.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Because of your medical issues, it would be unwise for me to offer advice. I do hope you can get to the doctor soon and get a good plan in action, both for yourself and your baby :)
  • Swanson83
    Swanson83 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Eat the things you would feed your child. I only ate the things that I would feel okay with feeding my kids while I was breastfeeding. I am not a picky eater so I can't help you with that. But I do know if you can break your habit of picky eating you could prevent your child from being a picky eater, which will make your life a lot easier as they get older! I would eat calories at losing .5lbs a week. you will burn calories making food for your baby. Drink A LOT of water. There are certian foods and supplements that can help with your supply if you start noticing a decrease. I hope this helps!
  • Chewitz
    Chewitz Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Heya I have fatty liver disease too and i'm in pain from it atm.... I'm confused with low fat and carb too.

Although I have no advice thought I would let you know your not alone
  • ahilbert86
    Options
    @Chewitz my doctor old me low fat for my gallbladder and low calorie for the fatty liver but I'm afraid to do either while breastfeeding. Every time I try low carb it screws with my blood sugar too bad. So I'm just kind of playing it by ear, adding more veggies, watching sugar intake, and making healthier choices. Add me if you want!
  • Chewitz
    Chewitz Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    ahilbert86 wrote: »
    @Chewitz my doctor old me low fat for my gallbladder and low calorie for the fatty liver but I'm afraid to do either while breastfeeding. Every time I try low carb it screws with my blood sugar too bad. So I'm just kind of playing it by ear, adding more veggies, watching sugar intake, and making healthier choices. Add me if you want!

Thanks
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You need to be starving for the breastmilk to be affected. And your health will be affected more than your breastmilk (e.g. calcium or iron deficiency). Breastfeeding burns calories, but nursing mothers do not necesserily need to eat these calories back, especially if they have weight to lose. A 1000 calorie diet would be a bad idea, but I am assuming this is now what your dr meant by low cal.
  • ahilbert86
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    You need to be starving for the breastmilk to be affected. And your health will be affected more than your breastmilk (e.g. calcium or iron deficiency). Breastfeeding burns calories, but nursing mothers do not necesserily need to eat these calories back, especially if they have weight to lose. A 1000 calorie diet would be a bad idea, but I am assuming this is now what your dr meant by low cal.

Thank you for the reply, but that's not what my LC has instructed me. She's advised me not to go under 2,000, especially if I'm exercising too,or I could see a drop in my supply. I'm upping water intake anyway but I'm not going to lose anymore calories unless I stop seeing results.