Exercise with a leg injury

Marsha_S
Marsha_S Posts: 74 Member
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all, I've been working on losing 20 pounds for over 6 months now...I've got 15 more to go. It's going very very slowly as I've got a long term leg injury and cannot do aerobics and running as I used to. I haven't exercised in months and am not sure what alternative exercise I can do. It seems no matter how well I eat, the pounds don't shift, and it's very easy to put the weight back on.

Please help! I really want to lost this 15 pounds but need to do more than I'm doing now, which is nothing.

747809.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Replies

• abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    How about swimming? It takes all the pressure of your legs and can give one heck of a workout! After surgeries, my first recovery workouts are generally in the pool.
  • hajjcomb
    hajjcomb Posts: 118 Member
    Is the injury an issue with impact/weight bearing? Or is it range of motion? Basically, is swimming an option? That would be my recommendation. There is also "water running" which is often used in rehab. You wear a flotation belt which allows you to be upright in a pool (deep end) so that your legs can hang below you and you can "run" in the water. It is a great cardio workout sans impact.
  • 06fusion4us
    06fusion4us Posts: 24
    Swimming, great work out without the high impact.
  • Marsha_S
    Marsha_S Posts: 74 Member
    Hi, its impact. I can weight bear now but my knee joint is damaged, so any hard impact causes pain. I have 10 screws and 2 plates in my leg, and if I try to walk briskly for 10 minutes I start limping and it really hurts.

Swimming is a great option, but breast stroke is out as my leg needs to be straight out behind me. i work full time and can't find the time to go swimming, when I get home around 6pm and have a family to organise afterwards.
This discussion has been closed.